propane pressure regulator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
propane pressure regulator

Is there a suggested upgrade model for the propane pressure regulator? I have cleaned the area out in the fridge where the flame is and serviced the area but I am getting cooler temps in the fridge on AC than propane. Was thinking the regulator could be the issue. Has anyone found changing out the regulator helped fridge temps? FYI this is on a 2016, 21.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I'm also interested in feedback on this issue. Reviews for replacement propane pressure regulators that are most common for RVs get consistently poor reviews. The one regulator I found online that claimed to be of superior quality is the Rego 7525B auto changeover propane regulator, but it is very expensive and I have no idea if this particular model is the correct replacement regulator for Escape trailers. People smarter than me will have an answer.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
I'm also interested in feedback on this issue. Reviews for replacement propane pressure regulators that are most common for RVs get consistently poor reviews. The one regulator I found online that claimed to be of superior quality is the Rego 7525B auto changeover propane regulator, but it is very expensive and I have no idea if this particular model is the correct replacement regulator for Escape trailers. People smarter than me will have an answer.
Jeff, we replaced the stock regulator a couple years ago with a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H Excela-Flow. Stove, fridge, furnace and water heater all worked better afterward. We also have the propane quick connect on the trailer. Before the change the grill we would connect to it didn't come up to temperature properly. Now it works perfectly.

I measured with a manometer before the change and the pressure was inconsistent. Now at every endpoint it's at or slightly above 11 WC inches with no adjustments from the factory setting. I recommend the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 "H" model specifically because it allows for a slightly higher flow when using more than one appliance simultaneously. As for installation, just swap the pigtails, mount in the same spot as the old one, and you're done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OS5MINA..._11fHBbZDMGVEV
Old 08-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Exce.../dp/B00OS5MINA

or the

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see Robert beat me to it.

I used the non H.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Regulators

After 7 years I had a pigtail from the regulator to the tank go bad at the crimped fitting. I bought a new regulator Marshal as Robert listed, two new pigtails and a new hose from regulator to metal fitting under the trailer. Peace of mind and flawless performance. Use the commercial leak detection soap you will like it. I got the soap at the Do it best hardware store and the parts at a small RV Dealer near me. Helped support two local small businesses near me in the process.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have used propane regulators in low temperatures, and have found that this kills them: they can't handle the condensed moisture and oils that are found as trace contaminants in propane, and their diaphragms fail or they clog. I have taken to travelling with a spare regulator with the brass fittings already installed, and had to use the spare on a recent trip. Name a brand you can find in a store around here, and I've had it fail, so I have given up expecting anything better, and have resigned myself to the spare.

While the high-flow models may maintain pressure better, every Escape appliance running at the same time doesn't add up to propane flow even close to the capacity of the standard-flow regulator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I bought a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H and could not get it to adjust down 11" WC. It was initially set to around 15" WC. I contacted Marshall and an the engineer said the 253H was a high volume model for a heavy BTU loads. I gave the engineer the BTU load for my E-21 W/ oven. He indicated that the MERG-253 was better suited for our trailers. I returned the 253H and replaced it with a MERG-253. I was able to adjust it to 11" WC with half the BTU load of the trailer. With everything off the static WC pressure will be slightly over 11" WC. The MERG-253 is about $10. cheaper than the H model. I have been using it over a year with no issues.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPR9Q30/ref=dp_cerb_3
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I bought a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H and could not get it to adjust down 11" WC. It was initially set to around 15" WC. I contacted Marshall and an the engineer said the 253H was a high volume model for a heavy BTU loads. I gave the engineer the BTU load for my E-21 W/ oven. He indicated that the MERG-253 was better suited for our trailers. I returned the 253H and replaced it with a MERG-253. I was able to adjust it to 11" WC with half the BTU load of the trailer. With everything off the static WC pressure will be slightly over 11" WC. The MERG-253 is about $10. cheaper than the H model. I have been using it over a year with no issues.
Eddie
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPR9Q30/ref=dp_cerb_3
Very interesting. With no adjustments on mine I measure 11.3 wc at the fitting for the water heater, 11.3 for the fridge, and 11.1 or 2 (can't remember) at the stove and furnace. Perhaps the non H model is better suited.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:01 PM   #9

Obviously these things aren't all that well setup at the factory, mine was 12 with 50% load.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
This is great feedback. Thanks everyone.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #11

Are all of you that are adjusting your pressures using a separate gage, or does that model have a way to read pressure? If you are using a separate gage, what model?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #12

The link for the one I bought all of a month ago from Amazon now points to a different more expensive model. This one looks a lot like it https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BDGWZ...9-ffe841fc31b4

If you poke around you'll notice there are a few that carry a number of different names, I just looked for a cheap one that was rated okay. I'll probably use it very few times so I don't need an expensive one.

Took me a while to realize inh2o is inches of water column, I was ready to send it back.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Are all of you that are adjusting your pressures using a separate gage, or does that model have a way to read pressure? If you are using a separate gage, what model?
None of them show the pressure without a manometer. There are numerous cheap manometers available, and you can even make one with some clear plastic tubing and a piece of wood with marks on it. The reason they call it "water column" inches is because that's exactly what it is - the amount of pressure required to push a column of water upward 11 inches in a specified diameter of tubing. But for ease of use I have a store bought one with a dial. Inexpensive compared to the digital models, and no batteries to go dead.

As for adjusting the regulator, they pretty much all work the same: You remove the black cap over the adjustment screw, and then to adjust you just turn it slightly up or down while reading the manometer until you get at or near 11 WC inches.
Attached Thumbnails
VIOT Manometer - Analog.jpg  
Old 08-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The link for the one I bought all of a month ago from Amazon now points to a different more expensive model. This one looks a lot like it https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BDGWZ...9-ffe841fc31b4

If you poke around you'll notice there are a few that carry a number of different names, I just looked for a cheap one that was rated okay. I'll probably use it very few times so I don't need an expensive one.

Took me a while to realize inh2o is inches of water column, I was ready to send it back.
Also purchased one from Amazon not a expensive one , same reasoning . Now if someone could walk me through what and how I am to test . We have the 8551 refrigerator. Thanks , Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
None of them show the pressure without a manometer. There are numerous cheap manometers available, and you can even make one with some clear plastic tubing and a piece of wood with marks on it. The reason they call it "water column" inches is because that's exactly what it is - the amount of pressure required to push a column of water upward 11 inches in a specified diameter of tubing. But for ease of use I have a store bought one with a dial. Inexpensive compared to the digital models, and no batteries to go dead.

As for adjusting the regulator, they pretty much all work the same: You remove the black cap over the adjustment screw, and then to adjust you just turn it slightly up or down while reading the manometer until you get at or near 11 WC inches.
What is the pressure range on this meter? I have found several ranges available but I assume that if it would go up to 15 or so, that would be high enough.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
Site Team

Most manometers suitable for testing low pressure propane have a range up to around 15. 11 is your target.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #17

Most that I am seeing go 0-10 or 0-35 if I am looking at the right stuff.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I also recently replaced with the Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253 (non-H) and it has worked flawlessly so far. Pressure was measured at the fridge test port with a rather expensive manometer (because I was able to borrow vs. buy it). Pressure at fridge should not drop below 11" w.c. with ~50% of trailer BTU's operational. This put the pressure at my fridge at about 12" w.c. with no other loads. Fridge has worked fantastic on propane ever since.

This is the manometer I used:
www.amazon.com/UEi-Test-Instruments-EM152-Differential/dp/B01J553RD2
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
Most that I am seeing go 0-10 or 0-35 if I am looking at the right stuff.
Manometers measure pressure, but there are lots of different kinds. When I picked mine up I searched for low pressure gas manometer and found several suitable ones. Mine is like this one:

https://www.zoro.com/general-gas-pre...hoCRosQAvD_BwE

I've seen some from Dwyer as well, and they have a good reputation for accuracy. The one suitable for testing your LP pressure is the LPTK-01.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Te...its/SeriesLPTK
Old 08-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Manometer

Here’s a few pictures of the manometer we have. It
was given to us when we bought the 21. It’s a yellow jacket. Sorry they are upside down but maybe someone born after 1947 can turn them for me. Or you’re just smarter than me. Anyway I’m set between 11 and 12.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
904F1E26-35C1-4875-A7E4-F72FB1418967.jpg   43B65F43-11B6-48FA-AA8E-D986A1F5D9A4.jpg   2BE1CB05-9236-40AB-BD21-75C9A38E97F4.jpg   1DD50F71-E9FA-45BB-93C5-CA07FFBC3ED3.jpg