Protecting Screen Door from dogs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2022, 09:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I went the route of training my dogs to not damage anything. They were not allowed in or out of an exterior door without permission. A bit of work for a couple months but worked out to an advantage for many years to come.

I know, I'm weird.
Umm, that's right JB!

Met a camper recently and he had two dogs. Fido (can't remember his real name was a kinda typical young enthusiastic pup, yet the size of an adult shepherd. Upon seeing me for the first time he started running towards me.

For the first and only time before and since in this situation he stopped on his tracks. That's because his owner has a key fob on his belt that controls Fido's collar. Mild zap and thats it.

I love dogs but hate off leash dogs that run at me- and even more the lame owner telling me he/she is friendly instead of apologizing.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:03 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Here's what I used on our Casita, back when we had a dog that we took with us on trips. Basically, just hardware cloth, but worked well. Just drilled a few holes in the screen-door frame, and screwed it on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7084_sm.jpg  
Old 12-10-2022, 10:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
This keeps my unruly vicious labradoodles contained
Attached Thumbnails
856A3E54-DD0B-4436-93F4-1CCF3C7E8A4B.jpg  
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:45 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I lived with a dog that was trained this way but it applied to bedrooms and bathrooms too. She would lay down outside the door and look in until given permission to enter. If she needed something she would whine. When ever it was bath time she locked up.
I had done this but backed away from it. I have had my dog trained to not go into the carpeted living room without permission though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Umm, that's right JB!

Met a camper recently and he had two dogs. Fido (can't remember his real name was a kinda typical young enthusiastic pup, yet the size of an adult shepherd. Upon seeing me for the first time he started running towards me.

For the first and only time before and since in this situation he stopped on his tracks. That's because his owner has a key fob on his belt that controls Fido's collar. Mild zap and thats it.

I love dogs but hate off leash dogs that run at me- and even more the lame owner telling me he/she is friendly instead of apologizing.
I have never had the need to use a collar, but do believe they are fine for dogs that need that extra push to rid them of bad habits. The shock feature on them is really a misnomer as there is really no shock, just a mild sensation, I know as I have tried them on myself. Most often just using the sound feature works fine. Heck, even putting the collar on makes them think twice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Umm, that's right JB!

I had/have e-collars for 20+ yrs. The good ones. 1/4+ mile vibrate/& adjustable shock. I use the shock sparely, & it IS timing. 1st time was coming home with a known cat killer rescue, to my dog loving barn cat. Dog got hit hard mid FIRST lunge & I screamed "NO". Never bothered the cat again. Mostly it's the vibration mode, but, with my working line herding aussies, it's chasing cars, bikes, people(for no reason), digging holes, circling tight & biting the tires of my trucks, tractor, mower, etc. It depends on the "drive" coming out. Sometimes I do have to shock to get through. I don't want to run my dog over! They can run circles............ just about 8' out(which is about where they should be, IF I go into herding with them), so I can see them. I don't use them for, daily or obedience training, like some people do. A must have, for people with hunting dogs, that have to search, hounds, bird dogs, etc.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote