Protecting Screen Door from dogs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Protecting Screen Door from dogs

I recently picked up our 2018 Escape 19. We have a Brittany Spaniel who likes to jump & scratch at our doors when he wants to go out or come in. The screen door on the Escape Trailer would be destroyed fairly quickly if we left our dog in the trailer. What have others done to protect the screen door from the affects of their dogs.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I build catios - outdoor cat enclosures - for a living and often use a very tough screen material called Super Screen: https://www.metroscreenworks.com/rol.../super-screen/. It's impervious to cat claws and would stand up to some degree of attention from a dog as well - with an active dog the issue would be how durable is the door itself if the screen doesn't tear. They also make a thicker screen material called Pet Screen - I don't like it as much because it is thicker and restricts visibility and airflow a bit. Super Screen looks almost like regular window screen material and doors / windows can be rescreened with it just like you would install traditional screen fabric. In our older rig I rescreened all the windows with Super Screen and plan to do the same thing when we get a 5.0TA so that we can leave the cats alone in the trailer with the windows partly open and not have to worry about them messing with the screens.
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They make screen door guards for rv doors- check out Camping World.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

here you go https://www.amazon.com/Camco-43991-A...rv+door+guards
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a Brittany too. He usually does not charge the screen. We have a painted design on the 21 and had one on the 19 too. He really doesn’t want to run into the screen. At home we’ve trained him to ring a string of sleigh bells hanging on the front door when he wants out. Maybe you could do that? Where he doesn’t have the bells he goes to the door and says “Woof”’
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Might consider having a panel cut using plexiglass or lexan to screw onto the inside of the screen door. Worked well to protect our home screen door.

Thin stuff is available at Loews/Home Depot stores.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
I recently picked up our 2018 Escape 19. We have a Brittany Spaniel who likes to jump & scratch at our doors when he wants to go out or come in. The screen door on the Escape Trailer would be destroyed fairly quickly if we left our dog in the trailer. What have others done to protect the screen door from the affects of their dogs.
Just do a search for screen door protector, dozens of options out there, from plastic to expanded metal.😊
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #8

Trailer: August 2017 17b
My dear dog, Keziah, is quite large. She doesn't know the strength of her love taps, let alone a paw to screen. She once broke a double pane window going for a squirrel. (Amazingly neither furry friend suffered drawn blood.) I don't have screen doors on my home, and Keziah has figured out how to open the sliding back door to go out, and press down the front door latch to come back it. She DOES know what doors are for.

Ironically, when she was a 25# puppy she learned she couldn't knock over the gate into my cats' sanctuary. At 90# she could easily do it now, but comes to a screeching halt at the gate, whenever the cats lead chase. I've ordered a similar gate, which I am planning on attaching to the closet wall perpendicular to the door, and opposing wall (next to the fridge), as far away from the screen as possible. Plexiglass was going to be too complicated to attach...not to mention Keziah would have the door latch figured out in little time. And her toes (toenails) would get through any grate.

On order: ALLAIBB Walk Through Baby Gate Auto Close White Child Safety Gates, Ex. 24.0-27.56 in :https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

Am hoping she doesn't have enough room to gain the momentum to jump OVER, into a space which she wouldn't fit
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Have the same question myself since the Escape 21 doesn't have a screen door, it has a screen that rolls out. I need something like a childs gate, gate being the main idea. you can open or close it to get thru and keep the pup in with the main rv door open. We use a Regalo step thru child gate at home to keep her contained but its too big for the RV opening. I need to try to adapt it, unless someone has a better idea.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
Have the same question myself since the Escape 21 doesn't have a screen door, it has a screen that rolls out. I need something like a childs gate, gate being the main idea. you can open or close it to get thru and keep the pup in with the main rv door open. We use a Regalo step thru child gate at home to keep her contained but its too big for the RV opening. I need to try to adapt it, unless someone has a better idea.
Have the same rig; I made a freestanding panel from plastic the dogs could not see through. Didn't take long for them to just ignore the doorway if we were all inside. Lightweight and easy to put outside when we were inside, so no storage issues. Funny part is I ordered a whole new screen assembly from the manufacturer when we first got the trailer as I assumed our 3 dogs would destroy the first one. Still on the shelf in the shop!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 E21C
My local Ace Hardware store stocks a screen door grille which I modified slightly to fit our E21C screen door. It is, relatively speaking mind you, reasonably priced compared to RV specific screen door protectors currently being sold in RV bling showrooms.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The solutions for this problem will depend upon the type of screen door. Flat or roll-in.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:56 AM   #13

Yes, Donna is correct. with the conventional flat screen door, a residential baby protector can be used for protection....something like this ....
Attached Thumbnails
6cb77a62-e597-4a89-858f-0b36802c25f6.jpeg  
Old 11-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #14

Trailer: WTB: E19
2017 - E19 Screen door width?

Does anyone know the width of the screen doors on a new style E19?

I am looking for the width in inches so get a door pusher for it.
Escape_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #15

The new style screen doors are like those in a house, removable panels and a solid portion...
Old 11-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
may depend on the dog apparently
Attached Thumbnails
3510847092514639380.jpg  
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #17

Trailer: August 2017 17b
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I went the route of training my dogs to not damage anything. They were not allowed in or out of an exterior door without permission. A bit of work for a couple months but worked out to an advantage for many years to come.

I know, I'm weird.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #19

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I went the route of training my dogs to not damage anything. They were not allowed in or out of an exterior door without permission. A bit of work for a couple months but worked out to an advantage for many years to come.

I know, I'm weird.
I lived with a dog that was trained this way but it applied to bedrooms and bathrooms too. She would lay down outside the door and look in until given permission to enter. If she needed something she would whine. When ever it was bath time she locked up.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, Donna is correct. with the conventional flat screen door, a residential baby protector can be used for protection....something like this ....

That is what I've come up for mine. The whole heavy metal grill IS what is needed for High Drive dogs. I have a 2013, & the roll up screen too. Add the 3 high drive dogs. One is 55# & a guard dog that will charge a screen door. Sorry, it IS what I WANT traveling alone now days. I took that(mine came from Menards & brown), & I cut down the ears a bit to fit & attached to a oak stick on the right. The stick then tucks & is held in place in the 1" space at the door & the folded down counter extension. My other side is held in place by just the end of a heavy leash I keep there(as the counter Ext spot is enough really). I can lift a little & pivot it. I have to make it taller 4=5"(move it up farther on the oak piece & add one as a leg on the other side, as it sits on the floor now. Then put some kind of loose latch at counter extension, I can flip over it, to stay better. It happens to fit at a few places for locking out of "kitchen" when cooking or what ever. I do it to keep pup from bugging NASTY bitch who attacks him(drawn blood before!) She hates him, but he keeps kissing up to her Forum will not let upload photos today??
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote