protection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft. with 2013 F150 Tug
protection

I know this is a very explosive subject to some people and I don't want it to become something that explodes out of control, so if this is going to create a problem feel free to remove it. That said my question is, since so many people on this site camp in more out of the way places do you carry any kind of protection? I know you can't take any thing into Canada but I'm talking about here in the states. I ask because it seems a lot of us aren't as young as we used to be. As some one I used to work with told me once "I can't do the things I used to be able to do." Again I don't want this to get out of control. Thank You.
grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you like, you can go over to FGRV and read several previous threads on the topic.
We'd like to avoid it here, since it never goes well.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No doubt about it, it is a delicate subject. One of the moderators here did have a fairly long duration thread on FGRV that stayed on track with only a some firm guidance a couple of times.

One factual comment to correct part of your statement that you "can't take anything into Canada". You can and if you do some homework you can find out the exact situation. Actually the Canadian situation is easier because the rules apply nationally, there's only one set of rules to research as opposed to 50 sets of rules in the US.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My avatar takes care of that for me.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Before we got a trailer I did some bike touring spending 15-30 nights a year in my tent. Toured most of the states in the lower 48. Since we got our Escape we spend about a hundred nights a year 'on the road'. The only protection I have ever carried is a whistle and a mixture of ammonia and water in a spray bottle for dogs. Never used the whistle. Rarely used the dog spray.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Don't leave home without it
Attached Thumbnails
whistle.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Best protection against Wasps is Wasp spray.
Best protection against ants is white vinegar.
Best protection against colds is Zinc and vitamin C.
Usually, carry all of these.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Planned Parenthood has plenty of knowledge sites probably in your area.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Stun Guns

Glad this topic came up as I learned that my flashlight/stun gun I have mainly for protection against dogs are evidently illegal in Canada.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... I'm a real "Son of a gun". Anybody that gets the door open gets the outside table propped against the inside...outside!!! SURPRISE!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
For protection, this stuff works quite well. Keeps you dry even on those really hot days.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
While I might agree that this discussion has been hed in FGRV, the OP asked a serious question and he deserves to be treated with respect. A couple of the follow up posts can readily be interpreted as poking fun at the forum member. While I expect that kind of "humor" on FGRV, I would like to think that we are above that here on the Escape forum. While I realize people may think they are being funny, I would ask how any other member here would feel if they asked a serious question and received that type of treatment. Sorry, I will probably offend someone but I found some of the responses uncalled for. I like humor, but not when it comes at someone's expense.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
While I might agree that this discussion has been hed in FGRV, the OP asked a serious question and he deserves to be treated with respect. A couple of the follow up posts can readily be interpreted as poking fun at the forum member. While I expect that kind of "humor" on FGRV, I would like to think that we are above that here on the Escape forum. While I realize people may think they are being funny, I would ask how any other member here would feel if they asked a serious question and received that type of treatment. Sorry, I will probably offend someone but I found some of the responses uncalled for. I like humor, but not when it comes at someone's expense.
Close to 15 years commuting to work by bike, in a very active (during salmon season) brown bear area. Bear bells on the bike, yell and make some noise when you come to the creek crossings. Bear spray in the water bottle cage, just in case. Have had more run ins with Moose than bears or my fellow man. Multiple deployments to southwest Asia. The only time we EVER take a firearm with us is on back country float trips. We use 12 gauge shotgun, electric fence and bear spray for bear protection for the times when we can’t find a gravel bar to camp on. Scott

Scott, Lori & Fritz, the arctic snow schnauzer
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Protection

Quote:
I feel the same way, while I like to have a lot of fun, I realized this was a serious subject to the poster. Therefore I went ahead and replied via personal message. I'm sure current events have colored the thinking of campers and non campers alike as well as heightened awareness. A personal message seems like the proper treatment in this case to me.
Just my $.02 American $.03 Canadian worth.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #15

Scott, Thanks for a helpful answer for the OP. I own firearms but have never felt a need to carry one for protection. Of course, living in AK is a heck of a lot different than living in FL! The critters there will eat you.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Scott, Thanks for a helpful answer for the OP. I own firearms but have never felt a need to carry one for protection. Of course, living in AK is a heck of a lot different than living in FL! The critters there will eat you.
Google Rovers Run trail in Anchorage, that's my commute route. One summer I had multiple bear encounters. The bears hear the bells and take off, have seen some huge paw prints on the bridges across the creeks. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz, the arctic snow schnauzer
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
I think the OP's guestion was answered in the second post. The topic has been brought up many, many times and a good source of info is and was directed to another web site. As gbaglo, (a forum moderator) implied in the second post, this topic often doesn't go well on this site. No offence was implied I'm sure.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Iowa Dave;121185
Just my $.02 American $.03 Canadian worth.
Dave[/QUOTE]

Cruel, really cruel, we're not quite there yet.

Maybe PM's are a good idea in this case. And has been said, threads on that topic rarely go well. Perhaps some of the humor was a subtle attempt to defuse a potentially divisive thread. There's lot's of factual information out there and at the end of the day people probably carry on with the same behaviors and value systems that they already have at home.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Cruel, really cruel, we're not quite there yet.

Maybe PM's are a good idea in this case. And has been said, threads on that topic rarely go well. Perhaps some of the humor was a subtle attempt to defuse a potentially divisive thread. There's lot's of factual information out there and at the end of the day people probably carry on with the same behaviors and value systems that they already have at home.

Ron
Ron, I made my statement partly because the OP's post was only his 11th and didn't want to see a "newbie" get discouraged. Still, sometimes humor can be perceived as cruel. And while this topic rarely goes well, it's probably because people have heated opinions. To me, in an ideal world, Mr. Baglo's post (#2) could have ended it all. FGRV can get chippy. This forum mostly doesn't. I just hope it stays that way.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mr. Baglo??