pump-induced kitchen light flicker on 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
pump-induced kitchen light flicker on 19

On the escape 19 we picked up 12oct2018, the kitchen lights flickered when the water pump was running and cycling on and off. Did not happen on other lights or when the pump was off. Did not happen on our 2014 escape 19.

I traced the 12-volt circuits and sure enough, the kitchen sink light and range light/fan were on circuit 4, the same as the water pump. I wanted to move the lights to another circuit as other lights didn't flicker. Escape suggested using the prewired drop for the awning lights, since we don't have that option. It's on circuit 1.

So I rewired it right after picking up the trailer, as it really bothered my wife. The awning light connection is at the back of the passenger back overhead compartment, see first picture. The kitchen light connection is behind the monitor panel over the range hood, see second picture. So I ran 2 wires to extend the awning light drop across the top of the passenger back overhead compartment, drilled to get through the wall, clipped the 2 kitchen light wires, and connected them to the new circuit. The monitor has lots of wires going to it, so make sure you find the light circuit wires behind it (they go down to the lights). The result was no flicker and a happy wife.

Escape said they would change the wiring in future 19's to not have lights on the pump circuit. Again, our 2014 did not have this issue, so they must have changed the wiring sometime after that.

Hope your model doesn't have this issue, but hope this helps someone if it does.

FWIW, our 15-amp 12-volt circuits are:
#1: maxxfan, furnace, 3 center ceiling lights, propane detector, driver/passenger bed lights, driver/passenger outside lights, added light over sink, range light/fan
#2: driver/passenger dinette, bath light, bath fan, optional driver/passenger captains lights, optional 12v outlet passenger dinette upper
#3: 12v outlet under passenger dinette, optional 12v outlet driver over bed
#4: water heater, water pump, removed light over sink, range light/fan
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0336_crop.jpg   DSC_0337_small.jpg  
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

great write up and solution....