Question about Atwood furnace installed in the driver side dinette bench on older 21s - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Question about Atwood furnace installed in the driver side dinette bench on older 21s

The furnace used to be installed in the drivers side dinette. We've had our trailer several years and I just noticed that when the furnace is running, 1/2 the heat comes out the side of it into the dinette bench. So our furnace is working properly as the heat also comes out the front where it should, but it sure seems inefficient to me that so much heat goes into the dinette.

It looks to me like it might be set up for a ducted system but just not used? But I'm not at all informed about these things. My question is if it is ok to plug up that hole maybe with reflectix so all the heat comes out the front? Or can you install a duct that goes out through the cabinet front beside it?

Funny it has taken me so long to notice this. Now when our furnace runs overnight I've been opening up the dinette bench so the heat goes where it's needed.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
The furnace used to be installed in the drivers side dinette. We've had our trailer several years and I just noticed that when the furnace is running, 1/2 the heat comes out the side of it into the dinette bench. So our furnace is working properly as the heat also comes out the front where it should, but it sure seems inefficient to me that so much heat goes into the dinette.

It looks to me like it might be set up for a ducted system but just not used? But I'm not at all informed about these things. My question is if it is ok to plug up that hole maybe with reflectix so all the heat comes out the front? Or can you install a duct that goes out through the cabinet front beside it?

Funny it has taken me so long to notice this. Now when our furnace runs overnight I've been opening up the dinette bench so the heat goes where it's needed.
My camper is all covered up and buried in the snow so I cannot look but I believe there is an option for a duct. I would use some flashing metal or even heavy aluminum foil to cover it up not reflectix as it is plastic and can deform w/heat.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It would be nice if others with a similar vintage could confirm that their's is the same set-up. From my understanding of your situation it sounds like an unfinished installation. I can't understand why half the heat is going into the space under the dinette seat unless they intended to put a duct and grill and dump the heat to the trailer interior under the table.

That could be done and the grill could have louvers that would allow you to balance how much heat you wanted in that area.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Escape has generally used the furnace models with the low-power fan (to reduce drain on the battery), which are not intended for ducted use - they discharge out the front grill only.

Of course, a bad installation is possible, but it's also possible that no heated air is being blown into the seat cabinet, and the impression that heat is going there is just from heat radiated by the housing of the furnace. If a duct location is actually open on the side of the furnace, then yes it should be closed up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #5

She did say that half the heat comes out a side opening. If that's the case and there's a version that uses low power fan not intended for ducted use is it possible that they use the same enclosure for different models and that there's a knock out on the furnace that was removed. Sort of like electrical boxes with knock outs?

Ron
Old 02-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 21
A pic would help greatly. To cover up the hole one can use metal duct tape till you can shape a piece of metal flashing to cover it permanently.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
We have a 2015 21. If you share a photo, I can check our unit to see it it is the same.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:50 AM   #8

Thank you all for the help. I can’t get a good picture because there is only 3” of clearance between the furnace and the side wall but this will have to do. The hole you see is maybe 3” in diameter and in the fridge side of the unit. The pipe you see may be just holding the furnace in place. Not sure. I will dig up the manual and see if I can get a better picture there. We are getting ready to hit the road though so it won’t be til later today.

Thanks again!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0216.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	60668
Old 02-04-2022, 07:41 PM   #9

This diagram shows our furnace. It shows the front of the furnace and the right side which for us is the side that faces the fridge cabinet. You can see an unlabeled hole at the top left corner of that side. That is where the hot air is coming out. I’m still looking for a diagram that will explain the function of that hole. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	60673
Old 02-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #10

Question about Atwood furnace installed in the driver side dinette bench on older 21s

Ok this picture labels it as a side duct. Sounds like it’s ok for us to tape this up using metal duct tape. Thanks all for the advice!Atwood Mobile Products Furnace 8012-II User Guide ManualsOnline.com.pdf
Old 02-04-2022, 07:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
It looks like you need a Atwood / HydroFlame Furnace Duct Cover, 4 Inch, 31361

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...r-4-inch-31361

About $3 plus shipping.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2022, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It looks like you need a Atwood / HydroFlame Furnace Duct Cover, 4 Inch, 31361

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...r-4-inch-31361

About $3 plus shipping.

Perfect - thanks!
Old 02-04-2022, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thank you all for the help. I can’t get a good picture because there is only 3” of clearance between the furnace and the side wall but this will have to do. The hole you see is maybe 3” in diameter and in the fridge side of the unit. The pipe you see may be just holding the furnace in place. Not sure. I will dig up the manual and see if I can get a better picture there. We are getting ready to hit the road though so it won’t be til later today.

Thanks again!
Attachment 60668
Hey Jill- we have the Atwood in the rear dinette and this doesn't seem anything like what is back there. Will post photos tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
2014 21 Atwood Heater

Love the heater at the dinette; that is where it is needed most of the time. We almost never have it on overnight unless the outside temps get to mid 20's.

Our furnace doesn't have any duct covers missing and perhaps someone at ETI doing install of Jill's furnace suffered a training issue?

Also don't have any pipe as shown in Post #8.

The white pvc pipe shown in second photo is just there to keep things from sliding too close to the heater.
Attached Thumbnails
heater1.jpg   heater2.jpg  
Old 02-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #15

Is that the other side from Jill's? If so, it looks like the metal housing has provision for ducts going from either side in those models with the more powerful fan.

If that's the case then someone indeed did drop the ball.

Ron
Old 02-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #16

Yes ours looks like that on the other side and I just noticed it does have a duct cover. So I agree it looks like Escape dropped the ball on this. I will order a cover. Just wish I would have discovered this 5 years ago!