Question about cot and awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Question about cot and awning

Hi all, considering to buy a new 19'. Can anyone tell me how the cot option is supported? How much weight can it hold? Built to last? Any pictures with someone in it?

Also confused regarding the manual awning option. Does it have side supports that attach to the side of trailer so you can tilt the awning for rain?

Thanks,
Sheldon
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowen23 View Post
... the manual awning option. Does it have side supports that attach to the side of trailer so you can tilt the awning for rain?
I have a 17B (new 2017 style produced in late 2016) that allegedly has the first manual awning on the new generation trailers. It does have anchor points to attach the support arms to the side of the trailer...I just took a couple of quick photos of them.

Disclaimers -
1) I have not used the awning nor the trailer really since picking it up last November, so I can't comment on the quality or use of the awning itself. Too many projects around the house got in the way this summer.

2) I don't know if Reace is still using this particular awning set-up or not when a customer wants a manual awning. Mine is a Carefree "Freedom WM Box Patio Awning".
Attached Thumbnails
Awning - front anchor point.jpg   Awning - rear anchor point.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Hi all, considering to buy a new 19'. Can anyone tell me how the cot option is supported? How much weight can it hold? Built to last? Any pictures with someone in it?

Also confused regarding the manual awning option. Does it have side supports that attach to the side of trailer so you can tilt the awning for rain?

Thanks,
Sheldon
We have the cot in our 19. It has a capacity of 200#. The cot itself is a heavy canvas with poles that slide into mounting brackets on the side walls of the front dinette. Construction is built to last from what I can tell and the kids love it.

Here is a shot of two grandchildren enjoying themselves:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...tml#post215040
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Great, thanks for the feedback Canadark and rjbny!
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Sheldon: Attached is a shot of the bracket that holds the cot. There are four of these - two on each side. They are permanently mounted, but you do not even know they are there when the cot is not in use. (Ignore the vertical white pipes - these were my refrigerant lines for a mini-split A/C that were eventually covered by the corner padding.)

The cot is very strong, but we found that since the crossbars are two pieces without a super tight fit that the cot wanted to sag a little bit in the middle. We solved that by welding the poles together and we store the cot by rolling it up and putting it across the trailer under the bed. It goes in through the rear passenger side hatch. This is convenient enough given how infrequently the cot is used.

Also, if a trailer is only ordered "cot ready" it is simply the support blocks glassed in behind the vinyl headliner. If you then decide to order the cot it is very particular measuring to locate the wall brackets properly and the crossbars either need to be cut by Reace or he'll send them long for you to cut. He prefers if the owner cuts them because it is an exact fit. Atleast on the classic 19 the shape of the mold causes the front crossbar to be shorter than the rear crossbar. Long story short...if you think you will use the cot I suggest ordering it with the build.

Here is a good shot of the cot in use in a classic 19. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...html#post80246
Attached Thumbnails
cot bracket.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Our 19' was ordered with the cot. It is pretty sturdy and will easily support 200 lb of weight (I have sat on it myself but never slept in it). My kids (when 14 to 19 yrs old) always preferred the cot over the front dinette bed, they said it was more comfortable. The length of the cot is adequate for even tall people, my 6' 3" tall son never had any issues at all. I find that it is easier for me to set up and take down the cot than it is to setup/take down the front dinette bed. When not being used, I typically break down, roll up and store the cot in the rear hatch/under the rear bed, so it does take a trip outside to put it away.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote