Question about grey tank damage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Question about grey tank damage

It coulda been MUCH worse. On our way to Florida to watch the FalconX heavy launch, I encountered a fresh carcass from a light trailer tire. Probably a China Bomb. Where I was in traffic I had no choice but to “step over” it. The aftermath demonstrates a small puncture to the grey tank. Is this patchable? How? I have a can of Flexseal but I’m not sure if their claims are legitimate. We are heading out on a major trip this fall and I want everything in good working order.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
It coulda been MUCH worse. On our way to Florida to watch the FalconX heavy launch, I encountered a fresh carcass from a light trailer tire. Probably a China Bomb. Where I was in traffic I had no choice but to “step over” it. The aftermath demonstrates a small puncture to the grey tank. Is this patchable? How? I have a can of Flexseal but I’m not sure if their claims are legitimate. We are heading out on a major trip this fall and I want everything in good working order.
The grey tank is HPDE plastic and resists most types of adhesives. HDPE can be repaired using heat to melt the patch material and kits are available for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Elect...gateway&sr=8-3

Here are some welding rods.
https://www.amazon.com/Poly-Welder-P...YH9NZ327N&th=1
Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
There are several video instruction tutorials on the internet. I suggest you watch several. It's best to do this job correctly the first time. If the first patch is not correct, a second attempt will be more difficult.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I saw your picture of the problem on Facebook and that area is also prone to a lot of flexing as the tank gets to full load. A good patch melted over the area as stated above is going to be your best fix.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
There are several video instruction tutorials on the internet. I suggest you watch several. It's best to do this job correctly the first time. If the first patch is not correct, a second attempt will be more difficult.
If possible, find a scrap piece or two of HDPE plastic to practice on. While it is possible to weld high density polypropylene, it is a bit tricky. I prefer to use a hot air source (here is the Harbor Freight version, although the one I used got the air from a shop air system) rather than an iron, but that may because of my welding experience. With a hot air welder the process is very similar to gas welding.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
its called 'plastic welding'. most RV repair shops can do this, I had to get the fresh water tank welded on our old tent trailer after highsiding a rock when going offroad with it. it will be a lot cheaper if you can remove the tank from the trailer and bring it to them.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I found this product called TAP Poly-Weld Adhesive. The manufacturer says:

"Imagine being able to structurally bond Polyethylene! This material has been virtually impossible in the past. Now, with a simple flame treatment and Poly-Weld, one can create strong joints on Low, Medium, or High-Density Polyethylene." And on the package it claims its repair strength can withstand 2000 psi on HDPE.

This is the manufacturer's product webpage and below is a youtube video on fixing a cracked holding tank using this product. Looks fairly easy to do.

viator36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The grey tank is HPDE plastic and resists most types of adhesives. HDPE can be repaired using heat to melt the patch material and kits are available for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Elect...gateway&sr=8-3

Here are some welding rods.
https://www.amazon.com/Poly-Welder-P...YH9NZ327N&th=1
Thought I would add a video on a tank being repaired using a plastic welding iron.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Practice welding helps. You have to be pretty aggressive in heating the tank plastic so the new patch plastic will bond. And, no water can be seeping through the area to be patched as it will prevent proper heating. If you are plastic welding with the tank in place you might need to lean the trailer to one side to get any remaining water out of the way.

But, with a little practice it is worth trying. I'd do a weld before trying a patch kit.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I have had more than my fair share of waste tank leaks (dont ask). On a previous non-Escape 5th wheel I tried the do it yourself patch and weld but it is very hard to get a seal. I was able to find a guy who welded the plastic when I needed help with my Escape tank. Well worth the effort. The fun part was removing the tank with the sprayed on insulation. Best of luck.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Thank you all!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think in this case I will take my Escape to a local repair shop. I never even HEARD of welding poly before, and since I don't even weld metal .... maybe whatever I have to pay the shop guy is worth it.
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote