Question about refrigerators - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #1

Question about refrigerators

Has anyone measured how cold their refrigerator stays when camping?
Does the propane fridge in these campers stay pretty cold with a consistent
temperature no matter what the camper's interior temperature is?

We were going to get the 5.0 cubic foot one (Dometic, I think)

Thanks!
kalyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Question about refrigerators

Hi: kalyson... No specific temp. readings. We plug in& turn on...then fill the icecube trays with water and place in the freezer compt.. Set the dials to elec and 6-7 and check for ice in the am. We find we must put all green salad fixuns in a zippered insulated lunch type bag to prevent freezing. The cans of beer get coldest if you stand them against the cooling fins. Coors Light will be (Blue) Mountain cold in no time...now that's scientific!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quite simply, the colder the weather, the lower you set the adjustment dial to avoid freezing (lower as in a lower number on the dial). Hot weather you turn it up to keep things cold. It is a good idea to keep a thermometer inside to monitor temperatures.

Basically, the way these fridges work is not thermostatically, but by setting the heat source (LPG or electric) at a constant setting.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #4

Our fridge (5 cu ft Dometic) keeps the popsicles and Frosty Paws (doggie treats) frozen solid using a setting between 3-4...even in hot conditions. We use a small battery powered fan inside the fridge to circulate the air, keeping the veggies from freezing. I've never used a thermometer inside, but may try it next time out.

Dave

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. I had read posts somewhere that people had a hard time in hot weather getting propane refrigerators to keep cold temps, but it sounds like that is not the case for you all.

Small fan inside sounds like an interesting idea, too. We will try that as well as insulated lunch bags.

kalyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Our fridge (5 cu ft Dometic) keeps the popsicles ... frozen solid using a setting between 3-4...even in hot conditions. We use a small battery powered fan inside the fridge to circulate the air, keeping the veggies from freezing. I've never used a thermometer inside, but may try it next time out.
Has anyone tried a recording thermometer that records low temperatures and high temperatures through out what ever cycle these fridges run??

Popsicles are fun to freeze - insulin not so fun!
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Counter-intuitive veggie preservation: even though the cooling fins are high, keep the veggies toward the top of the fridge -- cold air sinks (unless you're using a fan to circulate the air). From camping in the 50's to the 90's, the stuff in the freezer stays frozen and the veggies don't freeze if we set the fridge in our 19 to between 3 and 4.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Here's a pic of the frig thermometer....just keep the needle in the red (couldn't get my camera flash to work, so I had it out for a few minute...so it's reading too warm)......the setting will vary from frig to frig (for us it's about 5). Unless you use the little fan, it will be colder on the bottom like Bruce says...I keep the thermometer hanging in the middle, and nothing has spoiled yet...although I am feeling a little queezie since getting back this afternoon : - ) I haven't done a scientific experiment...but it seems it cools faster and stays colder on gas...but I haven't been real faithful about checking my hunch out...and yes, I do run it on gas when we are traveling, although there is great discussion on whether you should do that or not...I just don't like spoiled food, and we snack out of the refrig when we travel which spills all that cold air from home.
Attached Thumbnails
thermometer.jpg  
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
Geo

Just came back from camping at Porteau cove on the B.C. coast June 1-4.
Had the Escape 19', 5 cubic' frig. on electrical, set at #4 and the temp was Zero.
The thermostat is located just inside the door, front edge of the shelf.
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #10

Speaking of refrigerators; what is the purpose of the little white plastic "fingers" which are part of the lowest shelf in the door? I say they are for eggs, Deb doesn't know, but thinks they might be part of the antenna system used by the CIA to track campers.

Seriously, what are they?

Dave
Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #11

Hi: Garand... "What are they"?... White plastic fingers of course!!!
They are meant to hold tension against tall narrow items like a milk carton or a wine box etc. I hope that sounds good as I really don't know for sure. Alf
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
PJ

Trailer: Escape 17' 2005 "Turtle"

Those little 'fingers' in the door are a great invention! Hold in place whatever you put there through the bumps and jogs of rocky rides & roads.

We have always kept our frig at 3 and it always keeps things very cold. We carry several blue ice packs in the freezer, which I think helps hold the cold - we use them for picnics/day trips.

Penney

"He who would travel happily must travel light.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #13

Thanks for the answer to my finger question. Now I wonder why I always get one when I drive?

Dave

p.s.: The blue ice idea is excellent.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I gotta say that I get a chuckle every time I see 'frig' used. Around here it is an alternative to the F word. We use 'fridge' when shortening refrigerator. No idea where the 'd' came from though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
I gotta say that I get a chuckle every time I see 'frig' used. Around here it is an alternative to the F word. We use 'fridge' when shortening refrigerator. No idea where the 'd' came from though.
I must say that the spelling abilities on this forum are exponentially better than the spelling that I've seen on fishing forums and 4X4 forums.

Around here the F bombs refer to 3.5 or 5.0 cubic feet of volume
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Hey Jim its just one of those things that make you go hummmm
Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 AM   #17

Electronic "indoor/outdoor" thermometers are cheap and for the most part accurate, they also record the highs and lows. I have one in my home to tell me it is cold outside, or warm.

Buy one place the sensor (thermocouple) in a glass of Icecubes to calibrate it.

The place the sensor (thermocouple) in your fridge and you can read or record the inside temps.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi: Jim Bennett...I think the "D" is part of a remake of the word Frigid. No English Major here just MHO FWIW(2cents) Alf
Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Based on 30 minutes of intensive Google-time, I suspect the "d" was added to differentiate between the F word alternative and the device for keeping stuff cold. All the definitions I found for "frig" were of the lascivious variety (damn, I don't think I've ever used "lascivious" in a sentence before). In addition, here's our Latin lesson for the day:

Refrigerate: from Latin refragerare to make cold, from re- + frigus cold

Dave

Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #20

Hi: Garand...The latin word for "Tug& Trailer" is Chariot . I think the "D" puts fridge before frig in Mr. Websters book. We certainly don't want to have the trailer before the tug!!! Alf