Question on 2 way water heater - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Reinforces our decision to go with propane-only water heater.
Yes, all 4 of my Escapes were propane only while others have spent the initial $200 option plus replacements. Too easy to mess up.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, all 4 of my Escapes were propane only while others have spent the initial $200 option plus replacements. Too easy to mess up.
Both of our trailers, Casita and the Escape, had / have both propane and electric. We use electric every time we stay at a RV site with electric power and have never replaced an electric heater element.

It's not that hard a thing to manage.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:05 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We have propane only, and it's great if you boondock most of the time like us. But for those times you have shore power it's nice to have hot water ready to go. As with most options, there is no one right choice for all.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
Reinforces our decision to go with propane-only water heater.
🤔 why? When we have electricity we always use electric and always have hot water. When no hook ups we use propane but have to remember to turn it on about 20 minutes before you need it. If your electric element fails, it’s usually your own fault, you can still use the propane with no harm done. I fried the element on mine when I forgot to open the bypass after winterizing. Really missed it until I replaced it, think less than $15.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
We have propane only, and it's great if you boondock most of the time like us. But for those times you have shore power it's nice to have hot water ready to go. As with most options, there is no one right choice for all.

It would be nice to have a "Like" button for posts like this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

It would be nice to have a "Like" button for posts like this.

Closest I can get is "Control" "Command" "Space Bar".👍
Old 09-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
In all honesty after 6 years I maybe needed or turned on the hot water a dozen times. Just don't use it. Really never gave any of this a thought. (Until recently.)

Ahh, so the fog is lifting. Though I am hard-sided, boondockers like myself retain a self-reliant self-sufficient tent camper mentality. My Suburban is the SW6D, strictly direct spark ignition, one-way only, has no electrical element to burn out. Just an on/off switch inside the trailer for hot water on demand. Very efficient so long as you don't mind waiting for the lights to go out. I like it.

Actually, I do not like it when that red light goes out because then I can forget I left the hot water system turned on. No reminders. That happened once at home after a trip and I got upset enough about it to install a little green LED on the on/off switch.

This subject coverage has been a welcome refresher course in basic trailer systems.
Attached Thumbnails
Hotwat.jpg  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #28

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
propane water heaters

We have always had two way because we stay at camp grounds with power usually and we hate the sound of someone else that has a very noisy water heater that goes on and off all night.
azjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
we hate the sound of someone else that has a very noisy water heater that goes on and off all night.
azjack

Just turn the water heater off for the night. The water stays hot/warm for a long time.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Finished installing a switch & pilot light inside my trailer to control the electric portion of our water heater this morning . In our ten years of owning a FG trailer we have never run our water heater on propane and probably never will . Just personal preference .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Got a Suburban panel like Myron only mine also has both gas and electric heater switches. Also got some very bright red leds to remind me that one or both of the water heater switches is on plus another for the water pump. For the water pump I'm going to use the pump switch on the SeeLevel tank monitor panel but I'm limited to 7.5 amps on that panel switch so it will control the water pump through a relay, Just waxed the trailer nose and we're headed for the southeast Florida Panhandle in the morning.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #32

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
I suspect I have a fried 110 water heater element, in my two-way heater.

Someone told me to put my multimeter in 110 ac mode (200 ac volts on the multimeter)
and touch both ends of the element, while plugged in and the heater set to on (with water in system). If bad element I wouldn't get 110 across the element terminals.

Hmm. Where is this element? I suspect I have to twist a screw or two and pull off a metal cover to expose something. Is there a photo of what this looks like? When the element is exposed?

pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post

Someone told me to put my multimeter in 110 ac mode (200 ac volts on the multimeter)
and touch both ends of the element, while plugged in and the heater set to on (with water in system). If bad element I wouldn't get 110 across the element terminals.

Hmm. Where is this element? I suspect I have to twist a screw or two and pull off a metal cover to expose something. Is there a photo of what this looks like? When the element is exposed?

Here's a video on changing the electric element.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The element is covered by the black plastic oval shaped cover toward the bottom left of the picture you posted. In order to get to the terminals, that cover has to be removed (it's normally 3 flathead screws). BUT, you have to remove the gas pipe to get to the cover. The gas pipe can be removed by disconnecting the nut to the far left, and the retaining screw on the right where it goes into the burn chamber. The location of the nut and the retaining screw for that pipe varies slightly depending on the model. Once that gas pipe is out of the way, it's easy to access the electrical element cover.

EDIT: PS - it isn't necessary if you're just testing the element with a multimeter, but if you plan on removing the element, you'll need an element wrench. You'll also need to make sure to drain the water heater, and to have the electrical switch off. Better yet, disconnect from shore power.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Actually, if the element is bad you will still see 120V across it.

The best test for an element is to shut off the power, set the multimeter on ohms, disconnect one of the leads to the element, and measure. 10 ohms or so is good, infinity or a very high reading is bad.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

You will read 120 VAC at the element whether the element is good or bad
Turn the breaker to the water heater OFF - Test for 120 VAC at the element -
If there is no 120 VAC at the element then set the meter to ohms and check the element for continuity . You should read approx 13 ohms
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #37

Quote:

It’s under the square plastic cover on the lower left quadrant. When you remove element make sure you drain heater first using the anode. When you remove the electrode the water will drain but a lot will wind up in your trailer. 😳ask me how I know.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #38

This is like 1/2 hour job, not counting time I spent mopping up spilled water in trailer. See previous post🥴Guaranteed test, remove the 2 wires then use your multi tester to check continuity. No continuity = burnt element. Cost me less than $15.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #39

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
Deja Vu all over again. I burned my element a year ago. Replaced myself. Worked well several times.

Just drove 4 days. No hot water. Replacing element is easy second time around (two way Suburban heater). So I bought new and replaced. Still no hot water, from gas or electric. Not sure how to trouble shoot. Dang. Left my multi meter at home. May have to buy another.

Breaker is fine. Stove and gas furnace work well.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Check to make sure you have not left the tank taps in bypass mode.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote