Question plumbing lines - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (June 2020..hopefully)
Question plumbing lines

My 19' is currently being built. I decided to delete the hot water heater. I wanted to possibly add an on-demand water heater or just go without. I was told that they wouldn't install any 'hot' lines on my new build. So there will only be one line coming from the fresh water tank to the kitchen faucet. They will also leave the line from tank to toilet for any future installation since I'm not getting a toilet installed.

Does anyone have any idea of how this will affect my flow at the sink or how one line will be attached to a faucet designed for 2 lines? Should I have concerns about only having one line to the kitchen faucet?
Allswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not understand you logic in eliminating hot water system, we had an on demand hot water in our Lance and would never go that way again. Talk about noise between your pump running and water heater every time you turn on hot water. Bad decision in a camper. The stock system is simple, quiet and it works.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
honestly I think you better to have it installed.even if you don't want to use it you could just bypass it.then all you plumbing is done. But that is me. If you don't want hot water and a toilet maybe the 17a would have fit the bill. But the beauty of escape is to have it your way. I don't understand why they just don't run the pluming and put 2 valves where the water tank goes .
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

Actually, that's what I thought they would do is just leave the lines as if I bypassed the water heater. The build sheet only says 'DELETE water heater' and not all the lines also. While I was working on my build sheet I did mention that I may install an on-demand in the future so it would've helpful if I was told I would have to buy the water heater to get the lines or they would be left out. I just found this out recently. From here though, I am just wondering what this means for the existing lines. Any thoughts? How does a faucet work with only a 'cold' line hooked up? Does this affect flow rate or is this just governed by the water pump? Sorry about all the questions, but this forum as been invaluable for learning all this stuff.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can not understand you logic in eliminating hot water system, we had an on demand hot water in our Lance and would never go that way again. Talk about noise between your pump running and water heater every time you turn on hot water. Bad decision in a camper. The stock system is simple, quiet and it works.
I did hesitate to post this question since I was sure to get a few raised eyebrows (I can read between the lines of your post. : ). ). Remind me not to mention some of the other crazy decisions I made. : ) It wasn't too long ago that I lived in a cabin on a lake where I heated my water. It just became automatic and not a big deal so the idea of having a 6 gallon hot water tank taking up prime space seemed unnecessary. That's the beauty of ordering from ETI where I can get what suits me. I didn't expect to be giving up the whole option though. I thought I'd do without for awhile and then add what would work best for me later. I just don't understand what the ramifications are for water flow, etc. Will they just cap the other inlet into the faucet? I tried to ask Linda these questions, but she wasn't able to get any answers.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Allswell, IMO, when making your build decisions you should also consider resale value. I think you’re odds of finding a buyer would be reduced by a lot if your camper has no hot water heater or toilet. -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

True, true. I did leave the toilet line in so a simple $80 toilet install is still doable. I did expect to have the hot water lines in so I didn't expect to loose that option.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The faucets I've torn apart at home have no check valve in the stems. I don't see why it'd be a problem for ETI just to cap off the hot water inlet fitting to prevent back flow or Y the cold to both, either way I wouldn't worry about it. You're the guinea pig on this one so you'll have to tell us what they did, I've not heard of anyone deleting a HW heater before.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It would be simple to just turn the water Heater valves to bypass and just not use the water heater. Dozens of Escape owners have decided on build omissions or to not purchase popular options such as AC, Front storage box, exterior storage access doors etc. only to find they would have liked to have had them later or to have a change in their camping style and learned that a high percentage of prospective buyers lost interest when they found out that “high percentage “ options were not included. Best of luck with your build. The waterline questions etc. are uncharted territory for most of us.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-12-2020, 05:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The bottom line is that pex lines are easy to run, that's a non-issue.

In residential situations several fixtures run off the same line, you wouldn't know the difference with or without the hot water tank.

Yup, deleting the hot water tank might get some comments. Oh, did I mention that I've had a brand new, still in the box, one for the last 25 years and have never installed it on any of my trailers.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The bottom line is that pex lines are easy to run, that's a non-issue.

In residential situations several fixtures run off the same line, you wouldn't know the difference with or without the hot water tank.

Yup, deleting the hot water tank might get some comments. Oh, did I mention that I've had a brand new, still in the box, one for the last 25 years and have never installed it on any of my trailers.

Ron
Trying to add hot water lines after the build would be something I wouldn't care to try. Take for example - how would you get the hot water line run to the bathroom sink? On my 21, that line is behind the bathroom fiberglass shell with no access.

My guess is that if they are not going to run the hot water lines, they are not going to run the gas/electric services to where the hot water heater would be located either.

May the games begin!
Old 06-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #12

Good points. I do take responsibility (buyer beware and all). I asked my sales person if they would install an electric on-demand water heater. The answer was no so I told her I would DELETE the water heater and do this at a later date. I just assumed she would tell me this wasn't possible. But maybe that was an unreasonable expectation. I think ETI goes way overboard on their patience for all our requests, but, in the end, it's not like hiring a builder. The sales people do a fantastic job, but they aren't contractors so I was wrong to assume she would know all the ramifications of each special request. As long as the water flows when I need it too, it's all good.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
An electric on demand water hearer will require hookups, at least electric. Have you used one designed for operation on a 120V 30 amp maximum supply? Many RVers have not been happy with them, particularly ones that are camping without water hookups.

As to the single supply to the sink, I don't have any way of knowing what Escape will do, but there is no problem with connecting the cold water side & capping the hot water side of the stock water faucet, other than nothing will come out when you move the lever to the hot water side. I suppose they could add a "Y" so both sides work which is what I'd do if I didn't want hot water.

Last point - I'd ask if they are going to include a black tank when they delete the toilet. Without one, adding a toilet later would become a major project unless you go for a composting one.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allswell View Post
I did hesitate to post this question since I was sure to get a few raised eyebrows (I can read between the lines of your post. : ). ). Remind me not to mention some of the other crazy decisions I made. : ) It wasn't too long ago that I lived in a cabin on a lake where I heated my water. It just became automatic and not a big deal so the idea of having a 6 gallon hot water tank taking up prime space seemed unnecessary. That's the beauty of ordering from ETI where I can get what suits me. I didn't expect to be giving up the whole option though. I thought I'd do without for awhile and then add what would work best for me later. I just don't understand what the ramifications are for water flow, etc. Will they just cap the other inlet into the faucet? I tried to ask Linda these questions, but she wasn't able to get any answers.
The sales escape team is great at But sometimes they need to get answers from production. This may take some time to get a correct answer at least thats been my experience. I would have sales contact production that you would like all pluming with out the water heater. maybe they can do that. they may install to shut off valves . Just to be clear either way there will be only one water line from tank to water pump then the pluming would split off from there.You could do most of this yourself under the bed. but getting into bathroom sink will be about impossible. I not even sure you got the sink with out that theirs no shower.

I would not worry about high eyebrows . I think people our just trying to help you from making mistake . Maybe you have good reasons for making these decisions. saving the space of the hot water heater will not do you much good.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The sales escape team is great at But sometimes they need to get answers from production. This may take some time to get a correct answer at least thats been my experience. I would have sales contact production that you would like all pluming with out the water heater. maybe they can do that. they may install to shut off valves . Just to be clear either way there will be only one water line from tank to water pump then the pluming would split off from there.You could do most of this yourself under the bed. but getting into bathroom sink will be about impossible. I not even sure you got the sink with out that theirs no shower.

I would not worry about high eyebrows . I think people our just trying to help you from making mistake . Maybe you have good reasons for making these decisions. saving the space of the hot water heater will not do you much good.
Thanks. Linda did ask on my behalf a few times to leave the hot lines, but it was 'no go.' I actually ordered the dinette instead of the bed. I didn't get a bath sink. If they cap the hot water inlet in the kitchen faucet, it should work ok. I'll find out soon enough. I appreciate all the responses.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Trying to add hot water lines after the build would be something I wouldn't care to try. Take for example - how would you get the hot water line run to the bathroom sink? On my 21, that line is behind the bathroom fiberglass shell with no access.

My guess is that if they are not going to run the hot water lines, they are not going to run the gas/electric services to where the hot water heater would be located either.

May the games begin!
The 19 layout is quite different than the 21. I'd follow the same path the factory does if I had to retro-fit a hot water line. From the rear dinette locker, where presumably the new hot water tank would be installed, along the side cavity and then into the side of the bathroom wall in the hanging locker. The kitchen one could follow the same path as the cold water. It's a clear shot all the way.

Not sure that the 21 would be an issue either. Under the floor then branching off like the factory does. Then just straight up.

But I'd really just advise the OP to get the hot water tank. It's much more "on demand" than a demand hot water heater is.

The factory will not supply a capped off gas line. If you don't get the furnace or the hot water tank or the stove there will be no capped lines or tees provided. Don't know about water lines.

Ron
Old 06-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Good for you Allswell - try to make your trailer the way you want it, it's yours

I too ordered a dinette instead of the bed, and deleted the bathroom sink. I think I will be happy with those choices, instead of getting things I don't want just so the next guy can have them. My intention is not to sell my trailer - I hope to let my heirs worry about that. However, there is a lot of valuable insight and experience here on the forum. I have based several of my choices on information gleaned from reading hundreds of posts. I thank all those who take the time to post and share their knowledge.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #18

Looks like the answer is in the "Mods 1 and 2" thread. They supplied the water lines capped off because the unit was being supplied without a sink.

Ron
Old 06-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Things are always changing at ETI, but you should check to see what kind of credit you'll receive by not taking a feature considered standard. Even with Reace & Tammy it was nominal. The credit you receive could be far less than if you needed to buy a water heater from ETI. IF you choose not to use the water heater, you could pull it out, cap all hot water lines, including propane... then turn around and sell the water heater.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allswell View Post
True, true. I did leave the toilet line in so a simple $80 toilet install is still doable. I did expect to have the hot water lines in so I didn't expect to loose that option.
no toilet probably means no black tank, so its a bit more than $80 to add a toilet. installing a black tank after the fact likely is difficult as the shower/toilet stall is installed on top of it, and in the case of my 21, the black tank is half under the bed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote