Questions for pickup day?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Planning begins for our E-21 'pickup day' wh is not until Late April.........
So not wishing to run afoul of Canadian or US laws, what do you guys recommend we do with *questionable items for the day in Canada?
NO, we do not wish to travel from TN thru the Rockies & all the way to WA and then back, while camping in many remote places w/o protection.......

Thanks in advance. Fred
Fred, like you, we will be picking up our Escape trailer in late April. We will be staying in Bellingham, WA the night prior to our pick-up day. My current plan is to make prior arrangements for an early orientation at ETI and a late check out at the hotel in Bellingham. I'll leave just about everything I possibly can in our hotel room in Bellingham. Should make things go quicker should the border agents find it necessary to search my truck. Hope to be back in Bellingham by noon or shortly thereafter to load the truck, checkout of the hotel and then go meet the delivery driver in Sumas and pick up the trailer. Lots can go awry but I'm hoping with a little luck I can pull it off.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Fred,

Congratulations on your new E21! We love ours.

We were also told to check the torque on our tires at 60, 120 and 180 miles. We were very glad we did - they loosened much more than we initially expected.

My approach was to buy a simple, cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight Tools (something like: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...nch-63882.html). Harbor Freight frequently comes out with coupons, so I think I got my torque wrench for around $15. I leave it in the trailer.

As for sockets, I found a 13/16" deep socket worked well for the tires.

For our trailer, we got the upgraded tire rims, so we opted to get spend $25 at Amazon to get some wheel locks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

One more bit of information you might find useful. We had purchased a couple padlocks for the front storage bin. However, we found that the hole for the lock's shackle was smaller than expected. if your shackle is .25" or smaller, you will be OK. However, many padlocks are .30" or more, and these will not fit.

Happy Trails!

- The Bea Team
Barbra for the hasps on front storage box , you can very carefully drill the the hole larger to accept some locks better . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #23
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Pickup schedule

Not sure if things have changed under new management and someone can please correct me if I’m wrong, but a couple things to consider:
-our orientation was at 8:30am and we were not on the road until 12 (we took our trailer with us, no border crossing), it took about half a day and our brains were so full afterwards with lots to remember! I think there are YouTube videos with orientation information now.
-it is advantageous to look up the border wait times, which sometimes can be up to 3 hours, especially around Easter or holidays... there are a few different options, but Aldergrove or Sumas might be your best bet going back to B’ham. There can also be traffic volume around rush hour in both the Fraser Valley and Bellingham. Have you considered staying closer, like Lynden? https://innatlynden.com/ This is a cute little inn about ten minutes from Sumas or Aldergrove/Lynden crossing and the town has restaurant options and things to do if you wish.

You must be so excited, have fun and congrats!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
-our orientation was at 8:30am and we were not on the road until 12 (we took our trailer with us, no border crossing), it took about half a day and our brains were so full afterwards with lots to remember! I think there are YouTube videos with orientation information now
A whole YouTube channel for your viewing pleasure...
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCdauP...B6wYrWg/videos
Old 01-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There just does not seem like a better way than the way it is presently done. Tammy's Dad used to take the trailer over at Sumas and he was at the factory every day. Without him, ETI has had to hire a 3rd party transporter, perhaps for insurance reasons, to take the trailer to Bob's Burgers. They have schedules for pick up and I believe the first is 10:30 am. Thus my 8:30 am orientation and pick up was not complete until I returned to Best Western, with the new Escape around 1 pm. So a 4 hour time period is about normal now.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Mike View Post
Fred, like you, we will be picking up our Escape trailer in late April. We will be staying in Bellingham, WA the night prior to our pick-up day. My current plan is to make prior arrangements for an early orientation at ETI and a late check out at the hotel in Bellingham. I'll leave just about everything I possibly can in our hotel room in Bellingham. Should make things go quicker should the border agents find it necessary to search my truck. Hope to be back in Bellingham by noon or shortly thereafter to load the truck, checkout of the hotel and then go meet the delivery driver in Sumas and pick up the trailer. Lots can go awry but I'm hoping with a little luck I can pull it off.
Probably not going to happen the way you envision. The delivery driver will drop the trailer in Sumas. Do you expect him/her to wait until you return from Bellingham? What happens if YOU are really late? Ten Forward beat me across the border by 5-10 minutes because they go through the commercial lanes and there was a bit of a backup in the vehicle lanes for me. It would not have been possible to drive to Bellingham and get my stuff first. After yes, first no. Honestly, driving a vehicle with a bunch of camping/trailer stuff over the border isn't a big deal. IF you have stuff you shouldn't/can't take across the border, then yes... that's a very big deal and you should probably make plans to leave it in the USA.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Quote:
Mike, the way you are handling your pick-up is exactly how we did our pick-up a year ago...(late check-out at Bellingham motel, leave stuff in room, pick-up trailer in Sumas, load trailer with stuff in motel parking lot). How this will play out is that after orientation, head back across the border and go directly to Bob's Burgers and Beer in Sumas parking lot to hitch up to your new trailer then drive truck and trailer to Bellingham motel to load up. Would not make sense to drive back to motel, check-out, then drive back to Sumas to pick-up trailer. No need to do that.

This approach of leaving your stuff in at the motel in Bellingham also solves the problem if you have a firearm. Just leave it in the motel room safe and pick-up with the rest of your stuff when you get back from Sumas. We had an early orientation also and we arrived back at Bellingham motel about 1:30 pm as I recall. Took about an hour to load up and check out and hit the road. We drove on to Mt. Vernon for our first (and very memorable) night in the new trailer. There was a Wal-Mart quite near the Mt. Vernon RV park where you can get your trailer stocked up for your trip. Safe travels!
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Probably not going to happen the way you envision. The delivery driver will drop the trailer in Sumas. Do you expect him/her to wait until you return from Bellingham? What happens if YOU are really late? Ten Forward beat me across the border by 5-10 minutes because they go through the commercial lanes and there was a bit of a backup in the vehicle lanes for me. It would not have been possible to drive to Bellingham and get my stuff first.
Thanks, Donna.
I didn't realize ETI would leave with the trailer immediately after orientation. Don't know why, but I was thinking it might be later in the day. If we both leave at same time, that's even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Mike, the way you are handling your pick-up is exactly how we did our pick-up a year ago.....

This approach of leaving your stuff in at the motel in Bellingham also solves the problem if you have a firearm. Just leave it in the motel room safe and pick-up with the rest of your stuff when you get back from Sumas. We had an early orientation..... Safe travels!
Thanks, Chama.
I'm going to request an early orientation at ETI. I will have already watched all of the orientation videos several times by then and the trailer will already be paid for so I'm hoping for a fast turn around.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks, Donna.
I didn't realize ETI would leave with the trailer immediately after orientation. Don't know why, but I was thinking it might be later in the day. If we both leave at same time, that's even better.

Thanks, Chama.
I'm going to request an early orientation at ETI. I will have already watched all of the orientation videos several times by then and the trailer will already be paid for so I'm hoping for a fast turn around.
See post #25, there is no shortcuts. I'm on my 4th Escape and it still took 4 hours. I did not do orientation. Like I said, you have to wait for the transporter to show up, that is the unknown.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes we followed the trailer over the boarder arrived at Bobs same time as the new trailer. so I think its best to go directly to Bobs to get your trailer first then check out but i cant imagine how you could get back to the hotel and check out by noon. Worst case is you pay an extra night might be worth it if you are traveling with something that cannot cross the boarder.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:49 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Another option would be to get a room in Sumas at Bob's Sumas Mountain Lodge instead of Bellingham, then you'll be right there when you take delivery of your trailer. Sumas Mountain Lodge
Old 01-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Socket sizes

Fred,

I just double checked our stabilizer socket size. 3/4" or 19mm work fine. Our year (2014) they gave us a hand crank for the stabilizers--envision what they used to hand crank a Model T engine.

The lug nuts on our year alloy wheels use a 13/16" socket, but a 21mm will also work, but seems a little loose for me. While you're at it, see what your tow vehicle wheel lug nuts would need for socket size.

The alloy wheels are a little recessed, so I'd suggest a four inch extension for that socket and torque wrench. The Harbor Freight torque wrench is a good suggestion. We have tested them at gatherings, and they are remarkably accurate for an item that can be found on sale for $9.99. If you go to Harbor Freight, get a breaker bar of around 18" to use for taking off a wheel on your trailer or your tow vehicle in case of a flat. The torque wrench would work, but they aren't designed for reverse use.

I'd call Escape to see if a hitch ball comes with the Weight Distributing hitch you are getting. If not, they're available at Walmart, generally Reese brand, which seems reputable. In addition to the size of the ball (presumably 2") the ball's shank (the threaded part) can vary in diameter, so check on that before buying one.

If you have a reason to head to Chattanooga, I'd be glad to demonstrate some of this stuff.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes we followed the trailer over the boarder arrived at Bobs same time as the new trailer. so I think its best to go directly to Bobs to get your trailer first then check out but i cant imagine how you could get back to the hotel and check out by noon. Worst case is you pay an extra night might be worth it if you are traveling with something that cannot cross the boarder.
I've confirmed with Sharon (customer service) at ETI; there is no requirement that I come to Chilliwack. They will be happy to deliver the trailer to me in Sumas at a prearranged date and time. This is the best option for me.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:18 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Somewhat related to this post is out experience of owning two Escapes both bought from the original owner. While our “orientation” was very thorough, we realized that we had not thought to ask questions that the owner could have answered but we were not smart enough to ask. However, when we began camping with the 19, and attending rallies, we soon realized the extensive experience, practical knowledge and helpfulness of Escape owners was a great resource available to us. Over some years we became pretty darn familiar with just about all the components of the trailers and found ourselves answering the questions for new owners that we had been asking a couple years before. Upshot, with some common sense, a calm approach to a problem and a little help from your Escape friends, you’ll get by. Nicely
Iowa Dave
Old 01-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Nuther dumb ??

Our previous trailer, a17 Casita, door needed a rubber "stopper" added to the outside wall of the Trailer to keep the door from opening too far. Does the door of the 21 need this or does it have a built in "stop" to prevent 'door' damage to the outside gelcoat
BTW I have found that there are several businesses which cater to folks sending, receiving and/or storing stuff which might not be needed [or acceptable ] on a short Canada trip.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Our previous trailer, a17 Casita, door needed a rubber "stopper" added to the outside wall of the Trailer to keep the door from opening too far. Does the door of the 21 need this or does it have a built in "stop" to prevent 'door' damage to the outside gelcoat
BTW I have found that there are several businesses which cater to folks sending, receiving and/or storing stuff which might not be needed [or acceptable ] on a short Canada trip.
on my 'classic' 21, the waist bumper strip all the way around suffices for this. the Casita has a door handle that sticks out, and hinges that won't fold back flat, the Escape has a flush latch, and hinges that will fold all the way back.

(excuse the winter's munge, it was all shiny/clean when parked in the fall)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #37

Quote:
The new trailers have a 90 degree door stop built in, which I removed.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
on my 'classic' 21, the waist bumper strip all the way around suffices for this. the Casita has a door handle that sticks out, and hinges that won't fold back flat, the Escape has a flush latch, and hinges that will fold all the way back.
The 17' Casita uses a similar style paddle handle as used on Escapes. Unfortunately the door can fold back to hit the belly band, hence the owner-modified 'bumper'
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #39

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Red face Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The 17' Casita uses a similar style paddle handle as used on Escapes. Unfortunately the door can fold back to hit the belly band, hence the owner-modified 'bumper'
YUp I put one on our Casita too..just wondered if we need a rubber bumper to put on the E-21 when we pick it up??
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:54 AM   #40

Quote:
YUp I put one on our Casita too..just wondered if we need a rubber bumper to put on the E-21 when we pick it up??
See post #37 on this page...