Questions in ETI stereo install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2021, 08:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Questions in ETI stereo install

I decided to add a stereo to my 19. I ordered the Boss BV5568B that ETI installs. I also have one of those black under dash stereo mounts .The reason I picked the same unit as I like it will play dvd movies to a TV witch might be added latter. I have a few installation questions. Pictures would help.

1. Is the black under dash mount just screwed to the bottom of cabinet?
2. Do they run wire right up into cabinet or between the panels in bottom of cabinet?
3. Any one have a picture on the inside of the antenna coming into the shell ?

4. It appears to use the DVD player you hook up to the yellow RCA jack at back of unit and run to TV input. How to you access this plug after the install? Do they cut a hole in the back of the mounting case so you can access the yellow RCA jack?

NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

someone must have the ETI stereo installed?
Old 03-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I decided to add a stereo to my 19. I ordered the Boss BV5568B that ETI installs. I also have one of those black under dash stereo mounts .The reason I picked the same unit as I like it will play dvd movies to a TV witch might be added latter. I have a few installation questions. Pictures would help.

1. Is the black under dash mount just screwed to the bottom of cabinet?
2. Do they run wire right up into cabinet or between the panels in bottom of cabinet?
3. Any one have a picture on the inside of the antenna coming into the shell ?

4. It appears to use the DVD player you hook up to the yellow RCA jack at back of unit and run to TV input. How to you access this plug after the install? Do they cut a hole in the back of the mounting case so you can access the yellow RCA jack?

The black under dash mount is screwed to the bottom of an upper cabinet in our 5.0. Not sure about the wires, I'll be over at the trailer in the next couple of days and can take a look and let you know. But I've never noticed any wires, I suspect they route them under the headliner.

I have not heard of anyone using the Boss radio to play DVD's through a TV. There is an RCA jack on the back but it is inside the mounting case, you'd need to cut a hole to access it. I don't think it has an HDMI port or enough RCA jacks for an HDTV signal - primarily designed just to be used for audio.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
I decided to add a stereo to my 19. I ordered the Boss BV5568B that ETI installs. I also have one of those black under dash stereo mounts .The reason I picked the same unit as I like it will play dvd movies to a TV

Check the resolution of the DVD video out; many built-in disc players in televisions are only 480p output. For question #4, I would just plug in an extender RCA cable and run it to wherever my television gets installed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have the factory wired under hung mount which is screwed to the underside of the upper cabinet underside. Only 2 of the screws actually hit anything other than the plywood skin.

The wiring goes through a hole in both layers of the cabinet bottom, then through the wall into the optional above drawer stack cabinet. If you don't have the storage cabinet above the drawer stack, not sure where the wiring goes.

I had them install my own radio; no DVD.

I replaced the stock ETI antenna so a photo wouldn't help, but the antenna wire goes to the radio through the same hole as the rest of the wiring.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The black under dash mount is screwed to the bottom of an upper cabinet in our 5.0. Not sure about the wires, I'll be over at the trailer in the next couple of days and can take a look and let you know. But I've never noticed any wires, I suspect they route them under the headliner.

I have not heard of anyone using the Boss radio to play DVD's through a TV. There is an RCA jack on the back but it is inside the mounting case, you'd need to cut a hole to access it. I don't think it has an HDMI port or enough RCA jacks for an HDTV signal - primarily designed just to be used for audio.
correct it does have any HDMI port only RCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have the factory wired under hung mount which is screwed to the underside of the upper cabinet underside. Only 2 of the screws actually hit anything other than the plywood skin.

The wiring goes through a hole in both layers of the cabinet bottom, then through the wall into the optional above drawer stack cabinet. If you don't have the storage cabinet above the drawer stack, not sure where the wiring goes.

I had them install my own radio; no DVD.

I replaced the stock ETI antenna so a photo wouldn't help, but the antenna wire goes to the radio through the same hole as the rest of the wiring.
This is helpful I was wondering if they put any reinforcement in the cabinet bottom and it does not look like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Check the resolution of the DVD video out; many built-in disc players in televisions are only 480p output. For question #4, I would just plug in an extender RCA cable and run it to wherever my television gets installed.
You might be correct on this. They don't list a resolution. I called boss and they said it does not have one per say it would be determined By the television its hook up to. I not sure thats the correct info. I also wanted the RMS output rating and they told me 25. I don't think this is correct either. I getting second thought on installing this unit . I think I will check into the return policy and get something better.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
well, DVD is natively 480, the video on the DVD is encoded at about 720x484. you need BluRay disks for HD formats. yes, the player can up-convert it and output more than its got to start with, but so can the TV set and either will do the same hting.

remember, DVD pre-dates HDMI, the standard output format for DVD players was YUV analog
John in Santa Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
You might be correct on this. They don't list a resolution. I called boss and they said it does not have one per say it would be determined By the television its hook up to. I not sure thats the correct info. I also wanted the RMS output rating and they told me 25. I don't think this is correct either. I getting second thought on installing this unit . I think I will check into the return policy and get something better.
I bought a separate smart Blu-Ray player with WiFi so I can stream or pick up Red Box rentals on the road. Sony makes some very small ones; I even pack this when I travel overseas so I can get Netflix or English speaking news stations. https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...yers/bdp-s6700

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
... I also wanted the RMS output rating and they told me 25....
RMS? that stands for Root Mean Square, and is commonly used qualifier for audio wattage ("Watts RMS"), unless I'm totally missing something. Much stereo gear, especially at the consumer end, often quotes either peak or so-called Music Power watts, which are considerably higher numbers (a 50W x 4 'music power' car stereo is probably more like 17-20 Watts RMS per channel). Watts RMS is the output an amplifier can deliver continuously across a wide frequency range, something that just doesn't happen with most audio (think loud constant tone vs the dynamic range of most music or voice).
Old 03-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My two cents, I wouldn't install anything. Electronics and media become dated. Install leaves a hole. Repairs to equipment are no longer done.

I'd look for something that can be used inside, or taken outside, with Bluetooth to avoid wires.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
well, DVD is natively 480, the video on the DVD is encoded at about 720x484. you need BluRay disks for HD formats. yes, the player can up-convert it and output more than its got to start with, but so can the TV set and either will do the same hting.

remember, DVD pre-dates HDMI, the standard output format for DVD players was YUV analog
so the boss will play 720x480? I dont think I need HD in a small tv

Quote:
I bought a separate smart Blu-Ray player with WiFi so I can stream or pick up Red Box rentals on the road. Sony makes some very small ones; I even pack this when I travel overseas so I can get Netflix or English speaking news stations. https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...yers/bdp-s6700
can you us this on 12 volt DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
RMS? that stands for Root Mean Square, and is commonly used qualifier for audio wattage ("Watts RMS"), unless I'm totally missing something. Much stereo gear, especially at the consumer end, often quotes either peak or so-called Music Power watts, which are considerably higher numbers (a 50W x 4 'music power' car stereo is probably more like 17-20 Watts RMS per channel). Watts RMS is the output an amplifier can deliver continuously across a wide frequency range, something that just doesn't happen with most audio (think loud constant tone vs the dynamic range of most music or voice).
That is what I was thinking the quoted 25 RMS is unlikely. in fact it would not surprise me if it was as low as 15 . 20 would be good. The only reason i was even looking at the RMS as I want to use 3 ohm speakers instead of 4 ohm. crutchfield tells me this is not a problem and it would be the best way to get better sound out of the unit with out a amp .
I don't have a TV installed now but might down the road. It just seem to make since to get the boss unit for the DVD capability.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My two cents, I wouldn't install anything. Electronics and media become dated. Install leaves a hole. Repairs to equipment are no longer done.

I'd look for something that can be used inside, or taken outside, with Bluetooth to avoid wires.

I did research blue tooth. and in fact bought a cheaper unit. Most of the Bluetooth don't have a radio and run of rechargeable batteries . 90% of my camping is in remote places with no cell or wifi. Radio will be my only connection with the outside world. I like the idea of hearing some local stations. Last year on my pickup trip a was a remote Montana lake and a wild fire passed just south of us overnight. when went to down we found out the town was evacuated . we had no idea and where just lucky it missed us. the next 3 hour travel south was threw a smoldering prairie. maybe I am old fashion but installing a stereo would cost less and give me better sound that a rechargeable Bluetooth With the benefit of a radio all to run with power from the sun.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #13
Site Team

FWIW, single and double DIN holes for car/marine/rv stereos have been pretty much standardized since the 80s if not before that. and speaker hole sizes have been standardized for a long time, too. 5.25" coax is probably the right size car/marine speakers for use inside an RV, they fit in a 4.6" hole, this has been a standard size since the 70s.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #14

Finished up the stereo install today. The the Boss BV5568B Unit did not pass the hillbilly quality control and was returned. Its replacement is a Sony DSX-A415BT. Although this does not play dvd or cd it has some advantages over the boss.Sound guilty is good, has The strongest FM receiver I could find.After getting it set up i discovered one feature That makes it the perfect unit for the escape. If you hit the power button it will shut off leaving the clock and light still on,But if you hold it pushed for 3 seconds it will turn off the display and clock and still keep it internal memory. I paired it with two Rockford Fosgate 6 3/4" speakers .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210327_091817.jpg   IMG_20210327_091833.jpg  
Old 03-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Finished up the stereo install today. The the Boss BV5568B Unit did not pass the hillbilly quality control and was returned. Its replacement is a Sony DSX-A415BT. Although this does not play dvd or cd it has some advantages over the boss.Sound guilty is good, has The strongest FM receiver I could find.After getting it set up i discovered one feature That makes it the perfect unit for the escape. If you hit the power button it will shut off leaving the clock and light still on,But if you hold it pushed for 3 seconds it will turn off the display and clock and still keep it internal memory. I paired it with two Rockford Fosgate 6 3/4" speakers .
NYHillBilly,
You may have just solved one of my concerns. I planned on installing my own stereo and speakers as the reviews of the factory install were poor. I recently bought a 24" Insignia smart tv from Best Buy that I planned to pair with a JVC-KW-V66BT from Crutchfield along w/ 1 or 2 pairs of Polk MM 652 speakers.
The V66BT has a DVD player and Apple Car Play with RCA and outputs and an AUX input (for my 3500 songs on Kindle)
The problem is most of must of DVDs are BlueRay. Did you install the BDP-S6700.
That would solve the BlueRay problem and I'd switch a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX
that doesn't have a DVD player.
Was your trailer pre-wired for the stereo and speakers? If not was there much difficult in fishing the wiring or the wiring for the RCA cables?
You installation loos lie you use a under dash mount, Is that so. Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
NYHillBilly,
You may have just solved one of my concerns. I planned on installing my own stereo and speakers as the reviews of the factory install were poor. I recently bought a 24" Insignia smart tv from Best Buy that I planned to pair with a JVC-KW-V66BT from Crutchfield along w/ 1 or 2 pairs of Polk MM 652 speakers.
The V66BT has a DVD player and Apple Car Play with RCA and outputs and an AUX input (for my 3500 songs on Kindle)
The problem is most of must of DVDs are BlueRay. Did you install the BDP-S6700.
That would solve the BlueRay problem and I'd switch a Pioneer DMH-1500NEX
that doesn't have a DVD player.
Was your trailer pre-wired for the stereo and speakers? If not was there much difficult in fishing the wiring or the wiring for the RCA cables?
You installation loos lie you use a under dash mount, Is that so. Thanks
I did not install a blueray player. I decided i might visite a TV and blue ray player in the future . I used the under dash mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
However if i was installing a double din I think i would have cut it into the cabinet. I run my speaker wires inside the top of upper cabinets. I picked up power and ground from the nearby lights(fishing wire in the hollow space in the cabinet base.I cut holes for speakers with a drill and razor knife . It was to tight for my jig say. I made and glued in a plywood ring for the speaker screws to attach. I don't know the 21 well enough to know how hard it will be to get speaker wires run.So far in my 19 I have gotten wire about anywhere I wanted. some where easy and some where PITA . currently I have the antenna installed in the cabinet. It is mounted with in a few inches of where ETI installs them out side. It works very well.I still need to do remote location test on The antenna. if it does not preform well I will be going to a boat antenna like Jon has installed. Here a few photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210325_130539.jpg   IMG_20210326_105109.jpg   IMG_20210326_111053.jpg   IMG_20210326_160052.jpg   IMG_20210327_090351.jpg  

IMG_20210327_085321.jpg   IMG_20210327_091817.jpg   IMG_20210327_132027.jpg  
Old 03-30-2021, 05:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
We have the Boss DVD player that ETI installed in our trailer. We play DVDs in it. I took it down to plug the RCA plug in the back. Once the pug was in, it went back up easily. I had to run the video signal through an RCA to HDMI converter. We tried 2 converters from Amazon and both periodically cut out. I have to wiggle wires to get the video back. It seems to be the power to the converter that comes from the TV through a USB plug.

We pipe the TV sound back through the Boss when watching normal broadcast TV, using the audio input on the front of the radio. That works reliable.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
I did not install a blueray player. I decided i might visite a TV and blue ray player in the future . I used the under dash mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I picked up power and ground from the nearby lights(fishing wire in the hollow space in the cabinet base.I cut holes for speakers with a drill and razor knife . It was to tight for my jig say. I made and glued in a plywood ring for the speaker screws to attach. I don't know the 21 well enough to know how hard it will be to get speaker wires run.So far in my 19 I have gotten wire about anywhere I wanted. some where easy and some where PITA . currently I have the antenna installed in the cabinet.
NYHillBilly,
Very nice job. I wouldn't have thought of cutting the speaker holes that way. Obviously the paneling is to thin to use a hole saw. Also I was unaware that under dash cabinets existed. I thought I would have to fabricate something out of wood. Glad to know otherwise They have been added to my Amazon Escape Trailer list. We just did our video tour. I was thinking of 4 speakers but I saw in the 21C the speakers above the bed hang down from the cabinet and are a box. I'd rather not mix brands. I'll have to contact Crutchfield. Thanks again for all of the information, it will sure make my job easier

Very nice j
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
However if i was installing a double din I think i would have cut it into the cabinet. I run my speaker wires inside the top of upper cabinets. I picked up power and ground from the nearby lights(fishing wire in the hollow space in the cabinet base.I cut holes for speakers with a drill and razor knife . It was to tight for my jig say. I made and glued in a plywood ring for the speaker screws to attach. I don't know the 21 well enough to know how hard it will be to get speaker wires run.So far in my 19 I have gotten wire about anywhere I wanted. some where easy and some where PITA . currently I have the antenna installed in the cabinet. It is mounted with in a few inches of where ETI installs them out side. It works very well.I still need to do remote location test on The antenna. if it does not preform well I will be going to a boat antenna like Jon has installed. Here a few photos.
Nice ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #20

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We have the Boss DVD player that ETI installed in our trailer. We play DVDs in it. I took it down to plug the RCA plug in the back. Once the pug was in, it went back up easily. I had to run the video signal through an RCA to HDMI converter. We tried 2 converters from Amazon and both periodically cut out. I have to wiggle wires to get the video back. It seems to be the power to the converter that comes from the TV through a USB plug.

We pipe the TV sound back through the Boss when watching normal broadcast TV, using the audio input on the front of the radio. That works reliable.
Hi there--why did you need to covert to HDMI? Is it not possible to get TVs anymore that have RCA jacks--are they all HDMI only? Just curious if it would be easier to use the lower quality RCA rather than try for this HDMI thing.

Also, to confirm, when playing the DVD the sound will naturally play through the stereo right? But for TV watching, you'd need to make sure your TV had a basic "audio out" jack (do all TVs have this anymore or was that hard to find)?

Thanks.
ChrisInSD is offline   Reply With Quote