quick connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
quick connect

I just bought one of the propane fake campfire fire things. Would like to connect it to one of my propane tanks. I don’t have a quick connect on my trailer. The trailer place person said I need some kind of thing attached to the trailer to connect to. I was imagining it was something attached to the tanks that added an extra place to attach to - that had an easy connect fitting. I don’t think I really understand what I need.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You're almost there. Yes, if you don't want to do any fancy conversion, you just need "something attached to the tanks that added an extra place to attach to"... but the commonly available parts won't have a quick-connect, it will have your choice of another outlet like a tank (QCC-1 or POL), or an "appliance" fitting like the top of a disposable one-pound propane cylinder - both can be screwed on by hand, so they're almost as good as a quick-connect in my opinion.

Most people use the kind which gives you an appliance fitting, such as the Camco 90º Propane Tee with a matching extension hose (e.g. Camco 12' Propane Extension Hose). Depending what's on the end of your campfire thing's hose, you may need an adapter to make it fit the hose to the tank. The Camco product web pages show how the parts are used to connect an appliance (I think they show a grill, but it works the same for your campfire).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I am hoping to install a quick-connect right here... if I can find the parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Protank.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I am hoping to install a quick-connect right here... if I can find the parts.
Sure, if you want to go low-pressure that makes sense to me.

Normally the regulator output is a 3/8" female NPT port. That hose appears to have a pipe thread - no adapter to another type of connection - so that's the connection type you would be working with. The tee, any adapters, and the quick connect valve and coupler will be a substantial mass of brass, which might be awkward when changing propane tanks.

Fairview has a nice selection of brass fittings, including street tees (forged and extruded) which would insert between the regulator and hose and provide a pipe thread port for a quick connect... with a nipple between them because both street tee and quick connect have female threads, and an adapter because the quick-connect is only 1/4".

You could use an elbow instead of a straight nipple so the quick-connect would hang down, which would be easier on the fitting threads given the lack of support.

Another variation would run the quick-connect straight down below the regulator, and the hose from the extra port of the tee... maybe with a 90 degree or 45 degree elbow.

At the other end of the hose there is a transition to the tubing or pipe which runs under the trailer. If that location is accessible enough, I might consider putting the quick-connect there , because it would be a fixed mounting location.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Right....I was seeing this just like you described. I want it low-pressure. May end up inserting the tee underneath the trailer at same spot ETI puts it for running the hose under, to the door, but, my first choice right now is not mess with working under there, and install it right under the regulator.

Biggest issue there is, if the quick connect fitting protrudes forward, leaving no room for tank shroud. In which case an elbow might be only option. Hoping to find a quality plumbing store here for the parts.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I, too, bought one of those portable fire pits when we heard that some Oregon counties had banned regular fires during the height of a particularly nasty fire season a couple of years ago. I toyed with the idea of a long line connecting to the front tanks, but decided to just get a smaller 11 pound tank instead. That makes the fire pit very portable, and we're happy with it that way.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:35 AM   #7

I realized after I posted my list of fittings (for the low-pressure setup) that it would be more compact and a bit lighter to make the transition from 3/8" to 1/4" before the nipple or elbow, rather than after it. That means using a reducing bushing instead of the adapter (because the genders are reversed). The bushing is shorter than the adapter, and a 1/4" nipple or elbow would be shorter and lighter than the 3/8" equivalent.

Quote:
Hoping to find a quality plumbing store here for the parts.
I would look for an industrial supply store (I have used Gregg Distributors in Edmonton), or a specialty industrial hose supplier (I have used Red-L in Edmonton), rather than a plumbing-focused store.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #8

Here's where I'm at so far. Everything but the 10 foot hose was bought locally. It was available but no way I'm paying a whopping $52bucks for one. Go eBay. The ¼" quick-connect was the hardest to find. Warning: there are more than one type and the $8 one is not for propane.
Attached Thumbnails
gaslines1.jpg  
Old 05-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Here's where I'm at so far. Everything but the 10 foot hose was bought locally.
That looks like it will work. It would be nice if they had a street tee (one less part and pipe thread connection than a regular tee and nipple) and a male-to-male elbow (one less part and pipe thread connection than a street elbow and nipple), but at least these are all low-pressure connections.

Quote:
Everything but the 10 foot hose was bought locally. It was available but no way I'm paying a whopping $52bucks for one. Go eBay. The ¼" quick-connect was the hardest to find. Warning: there are more than one type and the $8 one is not for propane.
The industrial hose place I've used has a display on the counter with half a dozen or so different but similar coupler combinations, presumably to help customers figure out which one they need. There doesn't seem to be a clear identification scheme for them.

It seems like the most reliable indicator of compatibility with the style used for low-pressure propane might be the inclusion of the shut-off valve.

It's interesting that the 1/4" quick-connect (or quick-disconnect) with valve costs more without the hose than with the hose... especially since the one with the hose might be threaded onto the hose.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's interesting that the 1/4" quick-connect (or quick-disconnect) with valve costs more without the hose than with the hose... especially since the one with the hose might be threaded onto the hose.

Well, I bought it at a big trailer supply in ABQ after striking out at several hardware and propane stores. Probably cheaper on eBay but not willing to wait. Had to return the $8 one I got at a hardware store after getting into the truck and finding out the hose male end was an eighth of an inch too long for it. Moral of story: always check that things match before driving home.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #11

New auxiliary quick-connect is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Gaslines4.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
New auxiliary quick-connect is installed.
Looks good!
Myron, do you have a cap to keep water and dirt out when it is not in use? I assume it will be under the propane tank cover, as well.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #13

A cap didn't come with that quick-connect but now that you mention it I'll use the one that came with the hose. Good idea.

...well now;;;-- back to the drawing board==¿ *%$@?™*-just put the shroud back. Cannot access the quick connect with shroud in place.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
A cap didn't come with that quick-connect but now that you mention it I'll use the one that came with the hose. Good idea.

...well now;;;-- back to the drawing board==¿ *%$@?™*-just put the shroud back. Cannot access the quick connect with shroud in place.
Good primer on the parts involved. It's sort of on my list, just have to get around to doing it. I looked at the tank cover as a relatively cheap item when I was mounting my solar panel mast. I simply cut it to make it fit. If some future owner doesn't want that mod then it's an easy to replace item.

So, as I see it, you've got 2 options. Cut an access opening and make a little cover plate or buy one of those round twist and lock ones used on boats. Or, use a long nipple, turn the fitting more vertical, and access it from the valve hatch above.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #15

Thanks, Ron. I like the long nipple idea.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #16

Upgraded quick-connect. 5" x 3/8" brass nipple, $5.41.
Attached Thumbnails
Gaslines6.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

Pretty slick, Myron.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for posting the process, makes it easier for me now.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Myron, does the nipple clear the tank clamp wingnut?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #20

I had to use pliers to bend the tank wingnut in just a little bit.