Railing or net to hold kids in bed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Railing or net to hold kids in bed?

I have a 2 year old in my E19. Right now, he sleeps in a portable crib I set up on the front dinette bed. I would like not not have to use the crib to keep him contained - has anyone rigged some sort of removable net system to keep kids inside the netted bed area?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sort of hard to do since the one wall is vinyl and the other is the bathroom wall. Did you get the front cot option? Can you stretch a closet rod across to the door frame?
Old 04-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sort of hard to do since the one wall is vinyl and the other is the bathroom wall. Did you get the front cot option? Can you stretch a closet rod across to the door frame?
Yes, I got the cot option - never thought to try to use that and then anchor right to the plywood on the seats below. That is a good idea!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, you can fabricate and have a cage area for the lower portion...
Old 04-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Well I’m not especially proud of this action and hopefully people will understand that parenting has changed a little in 43 year but here goes. We lived in a park department owned house at the edge of the woods. I hung several wren houses in the black oaks that surrounded the south and west side of the house. We had many wrens raise young. We had a cat. One adventurous little guy thought he could fly. Nope, he fluttered to the ground and the cat grabbed him. I happened to be right there and caught the cat and got the wren out of his mouth unharmed. Later in the day he jumped out of the house again. I got him out of the grass and put him back in the wren house. Then I got out my minnow dip net and hung the bag under the wren house. We caught that little guy several times and about 4 days later he landed in the net, and flew back out and landed in a tree. We were all happy. About this time 1977 or so we took our first daughter camping in our 8 foot pickup camper. She got too big for the bassinet that summer and so I did what any good wren saver would do. I bought a nylon minnow seine, took off the leads and floats and we rigged it up with cup hooks so that if and when she rolled off of the dinette bed, our on little wren would not smack the floor but instead was held back by the net. Don’t turn me into the DHS as that daughter is a mandatory reporter and I think the statute of limitations has run.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On Edit

I read my last post to my wife Rita. She agreed on all the details. Then she tells me that we now own two of these for the nights when Smitty’s bed and breakfast for grandkids is operational. Nice enough I’m sure but probably cost a lot more than a minnow net and you can’t even use it to catch native minnows for bait.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
1D01ACE1-AC91-426D-83F3-1F5FD90357D6a.jpg  
Old 04-05-2020, 11:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19'
We took a bed rail (similar to the one Iowa Dave posted, but only one side) with us for awhile, works ok .. it goes under the cushions and stayed good, only downside is it's a bit hard to get out of the bed. you either had to get off the bed next to the door or in the middle, if in the middle had to tell the kid not to put too much weight on the edge of the table.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #8

Thanks for the thoughts. A bed rail will work well once the kiddos are a bit older. For now, it more of a crib-style containment unit I am trying to create so they can't crawl out of bed if mum and dad are sitting around the fire outside the trailer.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I used a rail made of p v c parts that slid a foot or so under the cushions. easy to assemble/dismantle. you can always put a motion sensor light near the floor so that you are aware if someone is out of containment.