Rain leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
Rain leak

This is a new one for me. I have not had any rain leaks before (2017 17B). On my last camp trip the rain and winds were torrential - resulted in horizontal rain striking the side opposite of the door. After some time the floor in front of the sink/stove cabinet began to puddle with water seeping out under this cabinet. Only thing I can think of is that the rain entered the heater intake/exhaust opening. The outer seal around this opening is intact. In my google searches a couple places mentioned that this could happen if the heater was not installed correctly. Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Wink yup

Not something we had trouble with on our Casita, but I can envision how it might happen in a strong enuf wind+rain combo. When we winterizd in fall of 18, we covered every opening w plastic ...held on by white gaffer tape..mostly to keep out creeping/flying varmints. I can see a need for covering that furnace opening in a heavy rain, yet having the ability to still use that furnace...Guess I'd better find some work around.
Thanx for the tip. Will ask the ETI guys about this at pickup day in April.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Sooner or later horizontal winds happen!

Our most used campers were our 2000 Scamp and 2007 Casita. Both leaked in horizontal winds: into the fridge area, up and into the cheap roof vents Scamp/Casita provided (yes, they were closed), and down the walls from the windows. The nice thing is the rat fur (Scamp) and carpet (Casita) soaked up most of the water from the windows and dried quickly. I actually miss the carpet the Casita had; don't like that cheap, cold feeling vinyl of the Escape. I also would open up the back of the fridge to sponge out water. So far our Escape has avoided rain with horizontal winds, but sooner or later...

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-27-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

I will be interested to hear what Escape says about this. I have emailed them but have not heard back yet, guessing due to the holiday schedule. Here is a link to the video about rain entering interior through the heater vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Not something we had trouble with on our Casita, but I can envision how it might happen in a strong enuf wind+rain combo. When we winterizd in fall of 18, we covered every opening w plastic ...held on by white gaffer tape..mostly to keep out creeping/flying varmints. I can see a need for covering that furnace opening in a heavy rain, yet having the ability to still use that furnace...Guess I'd better find some work around.
Thanx for the tip. Will ask the ETI guys about this at pickup day in April.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The furnace vent on our Escape 21 leaked when wind driven rain came from a certain direction
( Large puddle in bottom of cabinet and on kitchen aisle floor )
Removed vent plate and resealed - top & both sides ( Came from factory sealed on one side only and only half of top )
Fabricated rain diverter for above furnace vent plate and attached same with 3M double sided tape
So far on only one occasion has water entered the trailer in that area and the amount was rather minor.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Let's be clear, we have a 2017 E17 and a 2020 E21. Both have different furnace installs. In addition it was not clear whether the trailer was sitting or being towed. In addition there was an issue with the 2016/2017 refer vent install and the need for additional caulking. Pictures and a little more detail would be helpful. Was the refer vent recaulked also?
Old 12-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #7

Hi Steve,
I had quite a bit of puddling on the floor in front of the sink/stove cabinet - and the wind and rain were really coming hard! I am going to recheck the caulking - looked intact but will take a second look. Also like the idea of a rain diverter - what material did you use for the diverter?
Thanks! Patricia
Old 12-27-2019, 12:35 PM   #8

Trailer was parked. Am rechecking the heater intake/exhaust plate caulking.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Hi Steve,
I had quite a bit of puddling on the floor in front of the sink/stove cabinet - and the wind and rain were really coming hard! I am going to recheck the caulking - looked intact but will take a second look. Also like the idea of a rain diverter - what material did you use for the diverter?
Thanks! Patricia
I made the diverter from a piece of plastic that I had around the house , primed and painted it with Krylon paint
The plastic has not been affected by the heat from the flue
When I removed the screws holding the exterior furnace chrome flue plate , one side was held firmly in place by sealant , the other side was lose due to lack of sealant .
Resealed top and both sides leaving an area at bottom for drainage
I also found several spots on the trailer roof where the caulk / sealant was missing around roof penetrations . Resealed with Lexel . They put plenty of caulk on the roof just not where ir was actually needed to seal properly
Old 12-27-2019, 10:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In addition there was an issue with the 2016/2017 refer vent install and the need for additional caulking. Pictures and a little more detail would be helpful. Was the refer vent recaulked also?
Jim: The refrigerator vents and any necessary rechalking should not be in the equation as the fridge is on the passenger side on a 17B. The problem as stated is water ingress on the driver’s side.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #11

I'm aware of the opposite side, just going with the known issues vs unknown. I always thought there was a downward outward slope to both the water and furnace installs to prevent any water intrusion.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
I'm aware of the opposite side, just going with the known issues vs unknown. I always thought there was a downward outward slope to both the water and furnace installs to prevent any water intrusion.
That may well be true if the trailer is sitting perfectly level side to side
My driveway / parking area is on the side of a hill so my trailer sits with one side higher than the other , leading to water running down the side of the trailer and into the furnace vent
I don’t know how Escape could design a trailer where water would always run off in the proper direction regardless of trailer orientation .
Old 12-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #13

I believe they are built for level situations and anything other wise you may have issues. I always slope mine down in front while in storage, less openings on the front, but still level, side to side. If these issues happen while sitting still, a cover maybe appropriate.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i generally level mine so the 'street side' is just a hair lower than the curb side, this enhances shower drainage in my 21... its only about 0.5 degrees off dead level so it really has no impact on sleeping comfort.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Our 17B had a tiny bit of water on the counter, between the cooktop and backsplash, closer to the bathroom wall. Nothing was damaged. Trailer was parked level. It was right after a very heavy, windy rain storm. I assumed it was from the vent over the stove, it was latched closed. We have never used the vent, always cook outside except morning coffee.
I contacted Escape right away. Their advice was keep an eye on it.
I think it was just a freak storm and don't think it's an issue.

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #16

Hi Steve,
Could you post a photo of your installed diverter?
Thanks!
Patricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I made the diverter from a piece of plastic that I had around the house , primed and painted it with Krylon paint
The plastic has not been affected by the heat from the flue
When I removed the screws holding the exterior furnace chrome flue plate , one side was held firmly in place by sealant , the other side was lose due to lack of sealant .
Resealed top and both sides leaving an area at bottom for drainage
I also found several spots on the trailer roof where the caulk / sealant was missing around roof penetrations . Resealed with Lexel . They put plenty of caulk on the roof just not where ir was actually needed to seal properly
Old 12-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #17

Pat,
Here are 2 pictures of my E19 with (a) e-z-gutters over the water heater and (b) a custom rain gutter over the refer vent. It was made by charlie "Tractors" a commercial member here who can make you a custom piece. Note these will protect from water running down the trailer sides, but not water being squirted or wind driven sideways against the openings.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfsten View Post
Hi Steve,
Could you post a photo of your installed diverter?
Thanks!
Patricia
Our Escape is parked on our hunting land inside a pole barn . If and when the snow melts so I can get to the barn , I will take a picture .
Old 12-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Pat,
Here are 2 pictures of my E19 with (a) e-z-gutters over the water heater and (b) a custom rain gutter over the refer vent. It was made by charlie "Tractors" a commercial member here who can make you a custom piece. Note these will protect from water running down the trailer sides, but not water being squirted or wind driven sideways against the openings.
One of the nice things about the original molds is that the lower setback area created a natural drip lip that protects the water heater, access doors, lower side marker lights, GFI outlet, etc. from water running down the trailer sides. Not the lower fridge vent because it is too high. Although this vent is helped a bit by being just below the belly band and a shell that curves in slightly.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #20
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
I'm not very familiar with the 2017 17 design, but we had some leaking water after camping in torrential sideways rain this summer in our 2018 21. We determined that it was coming in through the awning style thermal windows. Took the trailer to Escape and they added rain guards to all of the windows, no charge. Said that this is something that they do standard now. Now sure if this tidbit of info. is possibly helpful to the leak you are experiencing.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote