Rain water leaks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Rain water leaks

We are getting a 5TA and were wondering how well sealed these trailers are. We only have experience with other brands and are wondering if any one has had leak problems with the escape trailers. I have only heard positive reviews about the trailers so far.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
These are the way to go if you don’t want to deal with leaks. Like any trailer, you still want to inspect the roof where vents, ac, and any other penetrations for maintaining the seals. Mine is a 2014 and going strong. When a salesman tried to sell me a stick built trailer, I replied that I had a fiberglass - an Escape. He then commented “so you don’t want to deal with leaks?” That question said it all!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I had several leaks on my past RV and susceptibility to leaks was high on my list when I was shopping for a new RV. The nature of the construction on the escape greatly reduces the amount of potential entry points of water since many of the body seams that the framed RV's have are eliminated. That said, a leak can always develop anywhere where the fiberglass shell was cut/drilled for the windows, wiring, plumbing, etc. You have to stay up on sealant for those areas when needed just like any RV.

My previous RV was wood framed and insulated with fiberglass batts which when wet, hold the water and contribute to fast deterioration of wood framing. If a leak develops in an escape trailer, there isn't a sealed wall cavity full of insulation that will stay wet. They also use little wood aside from the floor (and cabinetry) that could be damaged water intrusion. That leads me to believe the potential for short term water damage is low. ETI also designed weep holes into their trailers to divert water that reaches the bottom of the shell out and away if a leak does exist or in case of condensation.

To summarize my thoughts/opinion. I think they are one of the best RV's for keeping the rain out but also for being less susceptible to damage if water does get in.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Ditto the positive comments already posted. We got a new 5.0TA because our old stick and tin trailer finally succumbed to the effect of repeated roof leaks over the years. Having spent many hours on the bouncy rubber over thin plywood roof trying unsuccessfully to diagnose and repair roof leaks, and experiencing the devastating effects of undetected roof leaks on the wood framing, the Escape's fiberglass construction was a huge selling point. Now that we are in ours, and I see first hand exactly how everything is constructed, I can't imagine damage from roof leaks will ever be an issue.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Now that we are in ours, and I see first hand exactly how everything is constructed, I can't imagine damage from roof leaks will ever be an issue.
Roof leaks, no. Window and roof vent leaks, yes. Any other 'hole' put through the shell, yes. While IMHO superior to 'seamed' trailers, there's still maintenance that needs to be done or at least assessed yearly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Roof leaks, no. Window and roof vent leaks, yes. Any other 'hole' put through the shell, yes. While IMHO superior to 'seamed' trailers, there's still maintenance that needs to be done or at least assessed yearly.
Agree - with the stick and tin construction roof leaks can be hard to locate and can travel and do a lot of damage inside before you ever know they are there. With the fiberglass construction I think any roof leaks around penetrations would make themselves known much more quickly...but certainly a regular roof inspection and recaulking when needed are the best medicine.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In addition to what has already been posted, in the event you do have a leak, Escape has a trunnion or moat around the interior walls with seep holes that will allow any condensation or water to escape without damaging the unit. If you look underneath you will see the drain holes.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Are these holes plugged by the extra spray foam when getting the underneath insulated
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #9

No, they are on the outside perimeter of the trailer, the foam is inside the frame where the tanks are located, next time you have the trailer check them out, maybe 4-6 holes and some pieces of green tape showing the outline of the area around the perimeter.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've had a couple leaks in the Escape, both of which would have been prevented had I checked the caulk yearly like I should have. Neither caused any damage and were easily fixed.

As opposed to my Starcraft, which I checked often, that the floor rotted out in 6 years.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 w/Maple interior
Any chance of mice getting in through the weep holes? What precautions should be taken to prevent mice or other small animal getting in to the trailer?
sailjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

they are about 1/4" drill hole, too small for mice
Old 04-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #13

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I had a 25' Airstream, leaked, sold it and bought a Casita, never leaked.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote