Rainier tires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
My Carlisle tires is 5 years old and I plan to replace them with Good Year endurance tires. My spare tire has never been used and is under tire cover at all times. Do I need to replace the spare tire too? Please offer suggestions as to replace it or not.

Tonny LR
Normally 5 years is the life for tires exposed to the elements. Dry rot on the inside, sight unseen. It is almost better to use the spare when rotating to keep it pliable. Perhaps the tire shop can evaluate the spare, maybe one of the tires in use will be in better shape, sidewalls wise rather than the spare, tread wise.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #22

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
tires

My first Escape came with Goodyear Marathons, after 3 years and a lot of miles I was happy. Not like my experience with the Casita years earlier when I had to replace tires regularly until I went to the light truck tires. When I bought my 2nd Escape I wanted the Marathons again and was told I would not like the price. I said I wanted them since I had a prior experience changing a Casita tire on a busy LA freeway, the price wasn't a factor. When I picked up the newest Escape which is a single axle I assumed I would have to change out the tires but it came with the Rainier tires of 8 ply rating and 65# pressure. Less than a year and they have held up very well with high temperatures and higher speeds that allow me to keep up with AZ traffic. Of course this is less than 10,000 miles
Jack

After 25 years still trying to get used to traveling at less than .80 mach
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Changed out my tires March 2016.

I've been riding on my Carlisle ST205/75/R15 8ply D's for the last 14,185 miles. All good so far.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I worked for a municipality that had “cheaped out” on vehicle maintenance for years. When came in I casually inspected the vehicles the employees were driving and figured out they needed a lot of updating. I soon went on an improvement program for tires, brakes, exhaust systems and finally bad seat covers. I went out one day in a truck and noted the driver the was sitting on a couple phone books and asked what the Hell was that about? He moved the books and the springs were poking through from below. Although the higher ups complained about my spending spree to get the trucks in shape they never asked me to stop. This gained me respect of the men and women in the department that lasted till I retired 24 years later. The best is none too good. Probably poor grammar but true every day.
That’s how I see it.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Goodyear makes a LT215/75R15 Load Range D called the Wrangler HT. Load Range D, Max load 2096lbs, max inflation 65psi, wt 32 lbs, rim width range 5.5 to 7 inches, overall diameter 27 5". Found this on The Tire Rack's web site. For the comparison the Goodyear Endurance Trailer Tire 205/75/15 has just 54 lbs more weight capacity, .4" smaller diameter and weighs 29 lbs.
James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #26

And the Wrangler HT is about 40 dollars more.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #27

One more thing: the Wrangler HT has a 99 mph speed rating.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Our 19 came with Rainier tires Oct 2018. We only have about 10,000 miles on them so we'll see how they hold up. Snow, rain, 95°F, and huge potholes have been their diet.
Hi,
Do you still have the Rainiers? If so how are they holding up? If not, what did you switch to? I'm considering removing my Rainiers that came new on my 2020 E19.
Thanks
ziksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:44 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziksgirl View Post
Hi,
Do you still have the Rainiers? If so how are they holding up? If not, what did you switch to? I'm considering removing my Rainiers that came new on my 2020 E19.
Thanks
I’ve got one Carlisle tire that has worn on the inside, I’m just replacing them all with Hercules trailer tires sold by my favorite local tire dealer. They are made in Ohio and are 95 bucks a piece mounted and balanced, the Carlisles are 4 years old and have been coast to coast three time as well to Cape Breton and back. There is a lot of tread left on the three tires, but new tires are cheap insurance on the freeway at 65 mph. As stated earlier, I had my bearings repacked and a brake wire had come out of the crimp. Good maintenance is critical. I’ll report on the Hercules brand as they age.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:16 PM   #30
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Tire wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I’ve got one Carlisle tire that has worn on the inside, I’m just replacing them all with Hercules trailer tires sold by my favorite local tire dealer. They are made in Ohio and are 95 bucks a piece mounted and balanced, the Carlisles are 4 years old and have been coast to coast three time as well to Cape Breton and back. There is a lot of tread left on the three tires, but new tires are cheap insurance on the freeway at 65 mph. As stated earlier, I had my bearings repacked and a brake wire had come out of the crimp. Good maintenance is critical. I’ll report on the Hercules brand as they age.
You may want to check the one axle that has uneven tire wear (if you have not already). When repacking my E19 bearings last year, I noted the front passenger side tire with uneven wear. After placing a straightedge on the two passenger side tires, it was clear that the front tire was turned in (hence the wear). Fortunately, Dexter sent me a free replacement axle.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
You may want to check the one axle that has uneven tire wear (if you have not already). When repacking my E19 bearings last year, I noted the front passenger side tire with uneven wear. After placing a straightedge on the two passenger side tires, it was clear that the front tire was turned in (hence the wear). Fortunately, Dexter sent me a free replacement axle.
The tire dealer does alignments, I know the dexter axles can’t be aligned, but I plan on asking them check the axle for misalignment, I think they have a laser tool to measure
But thanks
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:14 AM   #32

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziksgirl View Post
Hi,
Thanks
The Rainiers that came on our 5.0 two years ago have done just fine. Tread is wearing well and they hold pressure well. I will monitor them carefully as I would any trailer tires but plan to keep them until treadwear (or time) indicates replacement.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:33 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
The Rainiers that came on our 5.0 two years ago have done just fine. Tread is wearing well and they hold pressure well. I will monitor them carefully as I would any trailer tires but plan to keep them until treadwear (or time) indicates replacement.
Since the fall of 2018 when my trailer was new (about 15,000 miles ago), I did have one Rainier tire fail from internal belting problems. However, I did not use the trailer at all last year. The remaining Ranier tires have so far held up well since then.
If it were up to me, I would keep the Rainiers, but keep a close watch on them for abnormal wear. Though I would eventually replace them with Goodyear Endurance tires, probably a little before I normally would. if changing a tire on the highway is a big problem for you, I would probably just change them out now just for the peace of mind. I also would buy a tire pressure monitoring system for any brand of tires.
I also discovered that ETI did not balance any of the tires before delivery of my trailer. I don’t know if this is typical, but this might account for some abnormal wear problems.
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #34

Trailer: 2021 E21C
I too have wondered about the standard Rainier tires on our new trailer. I picked up our 21C in late April and have since towed it a little more than 1000 miles on the standard Rainier ST tires. Except for the initial few hundred miles from collection to home, our trailer has been fully loaded when traveling, as we have gone out on several week long trips. I did replace the rubber valve stems with steel ones when I got the trailer home but no other mods. There were wheel weights on all of the wheels so I presume ETI did balance the tires. However, I don't have a balancer so I wasn't able to check them when I replaced the valve stems. I've been running the tires at 53 PSI cold.

The tires have zero wear visible after the first 1000 miles, so I'm happy about that. The temps during all of our towing so far have been cool, under 70 degrees F. According to my TPMS, the tires have also run nice and cool, at most about 5 to 8 degrees above ambient air temp. When towing and fully warmed up, pressures are about 54 to 56 PSI. I feel pretty good about all that.

FWIW, our previous trailer was an Airtream Safari 25'. Fully loaded, it was in the neighborhood of 7000#. I had several very scary tire issues with that setup which I mostly attribute to the really heavy load. Over the years, I had tread separations and a near complete failure on one tire. The separations were always hard to see, as they were on the insides of the tires and the wheel wells cover a lot of the tires on A/S trailers. In contrast, the Escape allows you to see the whole tire very easily and the tires are not being stressed by the load nearly as much.

So far, the Rainiers seem to be good tires. I'll keep a close eye on them and when I replace, I think I'd go with the GY Endurances. I can see the bennies of LT tires but I was not aware there were any available that fit the Escapes.
glsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #35

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
As I mentioned on a separate thread, I have not had luck with Carlisles (uneven wear, short tread life, bulging, etc.) but have had luck with the Kenda Loadstars I replaced them with. But, in all fairness, the Carlisles were all "C" rated and the replacements were all "D" rated. I am wondering if the wide variation in peoples' opinions of various tires is more a function of load rating than anything else; i.e. maybe I would have a positive opinion of Carlisles too if I had been using their D range version?
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:06 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
As I mentioned on a separate thread, I have not had luck with Carlisles (uneven wear, short tread life, bulging, etc.) but have had luck with the Kenda Loadstars I replaced them with. But, in all fairness, the Carlisles were all "C" rated and the replacements were all "D" rated. I am wondering if the wide variation in peoples' opinions of various tires is more a function of load rating than anything else; i.e. maybe I would have a positive opinion of Carlisles too if I had been using their D range version?
The load range difference just changes how much reinforcing cord is in the tire. Any stock-sized tire on any Escape is well within the load capacity of a Load Range C tire, so if the tires can't handle that load (even in Load Range C) when properly inflated and not abused, they're junk.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #37
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
Interestingly, from 2017 (our E19 trailer year) to today, ETI has moved from C rated to D rated tires.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Interestingly, from 2017 (our E19 trailer year) to today, ETI has moved from C rated to D rated tires.
I suspect this is like the E-Z Lube hub feature: the "upgrade" has little if any real value, but it doesn't cost much, it's relatively harmless even if unwanted, and some buyers see it as desirable so it makes sense for Escape to include it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #39

Trailer: 21C
Is this where your registered your Rainier tires for the 6 year warranty?

https://register.cimstireregistratio....cfm?id=tredit
JazzDad is offline   Reply With Quote