Rainier tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Rainier tires

My prior RV came equipped with very cheap “ China Special” tires that lasted about two trips before the tread separations started. Within less than two years I was shelling out another $500 for a replacement set of Goodyear’s.
I’ve noted that my new 5.0 came with Rainier tires that are 8 ply and load range D. To me they look to be very heavy duty and good quality. However, I have never heard of Rainier tires and looks can be misleading.
I am not sure how long Escape has been using this brand, but I would like to hear what experiences long term Rainier owners have had with these tires.
Also, what does everyone think of Maxxis and Carlisle tires as well ?
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I’ve had excellent service from Carlisle ST tires
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
For What it’s Worth.... In July 2018, I purchased a used 2011 Escape 15a, which still had the original tires on it. Although the tires looked new, I was not about to travel back to Minnesota (from Bellingham, WA) on seven year-old tires. I called four local tire shops in the Bellingham area and they all indicated that probably the best trailer tire on the market was the Goodyear Endurance followed by the new Carlisle HD. I ended up with the Goodyear Endurance, and have been very satisfied with its performance.

I had Carlisle tires on my previous trailer, and they were fine.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I saw a Carlisle that had 42,000 miles on it and would have went longer. Sorry I am not familiar with Raniers. We are running Goodyear Endurance and like them so far. Probably 15000 miles on them now. Wearing well. Rotating in the spare on this set. Good sidewall strength it seems to me.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I know this is a subject that has been hashed out over and over but as soon as the Carlyles on my trailer are due for replacement, LT truck tires are going to replace them.

Airstream quit using ST trailer tires years ago and for a good reason - they are junk.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #6

If a person had a valuable piece of equipment on the road and it was rolling on what they considered were junk tires, why wouldn’t they change the tires at once to something they trusted. Is my logic faulty here?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And why would they put LT tires on just because Airstream uses them? Maybe Airstream uses them because they are plentiful and cheap.
These tire thread all seem to take the same route. One person gets a flat and then the vitriol flows and spreads through forums until it's time to complain about another tire.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How come tire threads never clear up anything?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #9

Tire threads are like opinions, Everybody’s got one.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and if you remove the p&i you have onions......
Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
....and Airstream went to 16" rims to do it. Good luck finding a 15" LT tire with the aspect ratio you need. Been there- spent way too much time researching until I decided that ST tires are in fact just fine if you buy good ones.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #12

Onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and if you remove the p&i you have onions......
I usually plant Candy and Walla Walla. I like the sweet ones even if they don’t keep real well. Dad always grew those yellow Spanish, not very big, hard like a rock, hot, but by golly we still had a few left in April.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I usually plant Candy and Walla Walla. I like the sweet ones even if they don’t keep real well. Dad always grew those yellow Spanish, not very big, hard like a rock, hot, but by golly we still had a few left in April.
Iowa Dave
Your post reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would pull a couple of large sweet onions fresh from the garden and we would sit at the kitchen table and eat onion sandwiches .
I miss my dad and his onion sandwiches , my kids never learned to love them

Thanks Dave
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Kids are weird.
My favourite was white bread spread with lots of yellow mustard.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
My Carlisle tires is 5 years old and I plan to replace them with Good Year endurance tires. My spare tire has never been used and is under tire cover at all times. Do I need to replace the spare tire too? Please offer suggestions as to replace it or not.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our 19 came with Rainier tires Oct 2018. We only have about 10,000 miles on them so we'll see how they hold up. Snow, rain, 95°F, and huge potholes have been their diet.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
....and Airstream went to 16" rims to do it. Good luck finding a 15" LT tire with the aspect ratio you need. Been there- spent way too much time researching until I decided that ST tires are in fact just fine if you buy good ones.
Interesting. Oliver also states they use Michelin LTX M/S2 tires on a 16” wheel. What’s odd is when I look up that tire they don’t even list a 16” size, let alone a 15”.

On the other hand I see a Michelin Defender LTX M/S that is available in several 15” and 16” sizes. I would think the 205/65R15 would work considering Escape runs 205/75R15 currently, but I’m just speculating. Maybe there are other reasons this tire isn’t good for a trailer?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Michelin LTX is a P metric tire intended for passenger vehicles including light trucks and SUV( have them on my Yukon and love them). LT tires have stronger sidewalls, shoulder and tread areas for better durability in rough terrain.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLB View Post
My prior RV came equipped with very cheap “ China Special” tires...
I’ve noted that my new 5.0 came with Rainier tires that are 8 ply and load range D. To me they look to be very heavy duty and good quality. However, I have never heard of Rainier tires and looks can be misleading.
Rainier is a brand name of Tredit. The name is obviously chosen to suggest a U.S. origin (in the Pacific Northwest), but the tires come from somewhere in Asia; "Rainier" is just the brand name applied by Tredit, which does not manufacture anything but is the importer and distributor. If anyone wants to know who really makes these tires, someone needs to find the full DOT code on one, and look up the plant code.

I don't think location of manufacture necessarily means anything to quality: if "Made in China" is always bad, then presumably all Apple devices (iPhones, mac computers...) are junk. On the other hand, there is a lot of junk made where it is cheapest to produce.

Any Load Range D tire is a relatively hefty thing - the capacity standards are the same for all brands. I'm not sure how one judges tire quality by appearance, although obvious cosmetic issues are presumably not a good thing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Interesting. Oliver also states they use Michelin LTX M/S2 tires on a 16” wheel. What’s odd is when I look up that tire they don’t even list a 16” size, let alone a 15”.
I don't have a comprehensive list of all sizes of each model available, but at TireRack I see the same thing. Maybe they are LT245/75R16 in the LTX A/T 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
On the other hand I see a Michelin Defender LTX M/S that is available in several 15” and 16” sizes. I would think the 205/65R15 would work considering Escape runs 205/75R15 currently, but I’m just speculating. Maybe there are other reasons this tire isn’t good for a trailer?
I think the only problem with this tire model is the price. That is the main factor - and for some manufacturers probably the only factor - in trailer tire selection.

But 205/65R15 size is substantially shorter (in overall diameter) than Escape's standard ST205/75R15 (by 20 mm per sidewall or 40 mm overall), and even in the XL version is inadequate in capacity for the 17' and lower-rated than the axle capacity for the other models. The 215/75R15 is only a standard load (SL) in this model, but would be a nice size match and more appropriate in capacity. The 235/75R15 109T XL would be great for capacity, but probably as large as would fit on an Escape.

It really can be difficult to find a size and type which works in all aspects. For someone willing to change to 16" wheels (which probably requires a hub/drum replacement to change to a 6x5.5" bolt pattern), I think the 235/65R16 commercial tires found on vans such as the Ford Transit would work well. It has lots of capacity, is only slightly larger than the stock tire in diameter, should fit in width, is suited to trailer service, and should be readily available for a long time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Michelin LTX is a P metric tire intended for passenger vehicles including light trucks and SUV( have them on my Yukon and love them). LT tires have stronger sidewalls, shoulder and tread areas for better durability in rough terrain.
Michelin puts "LTX" in the name of several models of tire (at least six different models in Canada), and not only do they vary between models, but even different sizes in the same model
  • Agilis LTX - LT
  • Defender LTX M/S - some Euro-metric, some LT
  • LTX A/S - P
  • LTX M/S2 - some LT, some Euro-metric, some P
  • Primacy LTX - Euro-metric
  • LTX A/T 2 - some LT, some Euro-metric, some P
I don't think that different sizes in the same model of tire are really designed or constructed substantially differently. Different sizes are just designated in conformance with different sets of standards. Exactly the same tire can meet multiple standards at the same time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote