Ram 1500 brake controller - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
Ram 1500 brake controller

We just picked up our 19 and drove it home. Before coming home I tried to adjust the integrated break control in my 2020 Ram 1500. I drove slowly and manually squeezed the controller. They do work, but I wasn’t getting much stopping power until I went all the way to 10 (maximum setting). On my last trailer if I made the setting to high the trailer breaks would lock up and I would set the controller a little lower, but with the Ram I am maxed out. This seems not right. Anyone have any experience with this?
Videocrafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
RAM brake controller

I haven't used mine yet but I discovered I had to set it on the screen for how much I wanted in braking.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
For any vehicle / brake controller combination exhibiting that symptom my first action is to clean (contact cleaner) the male and female sides of the bumper-plug, refresh the light coating of corrosion-inhibiting dielectric grease, and gently pry the contact blades to ensure they are 'tight' when they mate.

All just aimed at ensuring the full current is getting from the vehicle harness to the trailer harness. Just for your consideration.