RecPro 9.5K A/C not available, thoughts on 13.5K - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2021, 01:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
RecPro 9.5K A/C not available, thoughts on 13.5K

When the Coleman Mach 10 became unavailable several members recommended RecPros Houghton A/Cs. The prevailing thought was that the 9.5K A/C was preferable to the 13.5K model as the larger unit may short cycle. The 9.5K is currently out of stock with no known delivery date. My plan was to have the A/C shipped to Pros RV Repair and Rebuild in Bellingham WA for installation once my trailer is picked up in Sumas.
May I ask what recommendations others have, especially about the RecPro 13.5K. There doesn't appear to be many other options out there.
Thanks Jim Allocco
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
My plan is to get no AC, and just install the RecPro 9.5k unit whenever it is available. I bet they are in stock by spring 2022, if not I can wait to 2023 or whatever. I used AC pretty infrequently in my previous RV.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

Jeffrey for us coming across the country in August we would want AC . For us we may not have a choice but to make a purchase by June or so. I guess I should contact RecPro and see how many 13.5 K they have available. In
NC we definitely need it.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
will the 13.5K units fit?.It is 4 3/4" longer. It was my understanding that the 9.5K model was just hitting the supports of the rasied area of roof.

IF you need air for the trip maybe just get the dometic. its a little louder but if is 100 degrees it might be worth it.

also if you build is not until august it is likely something will change by then.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
will the 13.5K units fit?.It is 4 3/4" longer. It was my understanding that the 9.5K model was just hitting the supports of the rasied area of roof.

IF you need air for the trip maybe just get the dometic. its a little louder but if is 100 degrees it might be worth it.

also if you build is not until august it is likely something will change by then.
NYHillBilly, Thanks for bringing your points. I guess i don't know if it will fit. I spent some time researching the difference in dimensions between the Coleman Mach10 and the RecPro 13.5K. Best I could determine the Coleman is 38" long and extends 5" forward of the 14" vent opening thus it extends 19" aft.

The RecPro 13.5K is 44" lg. and according to a question answered a recpro rep
it extends 6 & 7/8" Fwd. thus extends 23" aft. I'm not 100% certain of my numbers as I haven't been able to view a RecPro drawing.
Not having seen the roof of a 21C I don't know if there is ample clearance aft between the A/c and the factory mounted Solar Panel.

I am not familiar with what you describe as the Supports of the Raised Area of the Roof.
By the way how are thing at Bristol Mt. and is the Naples Hotel still in existence? I grew up in Rochester and spent 50+ years there.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
NYHillBilly, Thanks for bringing your points. I guess i don't know if it will fit. I spent some time researching the difference in dimensions between the Coleman Mach10 and the RecPro 13.5K. Best I could determine the Coleman is 38" long and extends 5" forward of the 14" vent opening thus it extends 19" aft.

The RecPro 13.5K is 44" lg. and according to a question answered a recpro rep
it extends 6 & 7/8" Fwd. thus extends 23" aft. I'm not 100% certain of my numbers as I haven't been able to view a RecPro drawing.
Not having seen the roof of a 21C I don't know if there is ample clearance aft between the A/c and the factory mounted Solar Panel.

I am not familiar with what you describe as the Supports of the Raised Area of the Roof.
By the way how are thing at Bristol Mt. and is the Naples Hotel still in existence? I grew up in Rochester and spent 50+ years there.

The roof have a raised are where the air condition supports will sit.19 Roof photo attached . as you can see the Domitic fits on it.I did see a thread that showed the 9.5K rec pro Supports landing 1/2 way on witch would work. My concern is the the bigger longer 13.4K might have the supports that do not hit. It worth checking into. I think the air unit can hang over but the supports should land on the raised section of roof.

I live just a mile from the Bristol mountain. Unfortunately the Naples hotel when out of business and is for sale.Other than that things are the same around here a beautiful place to live .(except high taxes)
Attached Thumbnails
Dual Solar Panel.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Hooughton AC3400 13.5k BTU and Escape 19'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The roof have a raised are where the air condition supports will sit.19 Roof photo attached . as you can see the Domitic fits on it.I did see a thread that showed the 9.5K rec pro Supports landing 1/2 way on witch would work. My concern is the the bigger longer 13.4K might have the supports that do not hit. It worth checking into. I think the air unit can hang over but the supports should land on the raised section of roof.
Attached are drawings from manuals for the ETI installed Dometic Penguin II 11k BTU (640310C451C0) and the Houghton AC3400 low profile (13.5k BTU) units.

Outside overall dimensions:
Dometic 640310C451C0: 40-1.2" x 29" x 10-38"
Houghton AC3400: 44-3/16" x 33-1/2" x 8-3/16"

From the Houghton AC3400 drawing, the distance from the rear of the hole to the rear of the unit is 23-1/8".

As shown in the attached photo, on our 19', the raised roof section for the AC unit is 36" front to back and 40" wide.

If the current Dometic roof top exterior gasket is centered on the 14-3/16" hole, there is adequate room for the Houghton to fit in front of our rear solar panel which is ~38" from the center of the Dometic roof gasket, The Houghton needs ≥ 34-1/4", including the specified 4" clearance on all AC3400 sides.

Is this what other E19 owners have found?

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic_640310C451C0.png   Houoghton_AC3400.jpg   dometic_640310C451C0_sideView_IMG_3983.jpg  
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Just worth a note, I too saw the desired RecPro 9.5k unit backordered. So I clicked the "notify me when this is available" button and entered my email. Within a month or so, I got a ping that they were in stock and I ordered one.

Rather than stalking them looking for one, I suggest doing just that. My timing was that my unit arrived in late June. I think I hit the button in May sometime.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote