Refrigerator Failing To Cool While Driving - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
we are talking about the external fridge fan correct? i was thinking i should get it on my new trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes and no, there is a fan that is attached to the refrigerator and supposedly thermostatically controlled, however it seems that the thermostat was set too high, so some of us manually operated the fans. These issues were on the older style units.
The 2nd generation models with the new style supposedly works better. Not sure what fans are attached from the manufacturer. What Escape does is attach an auxiliary fan, that is on the option list Exterior Fridge Fan$175.00 and they install a switch which you can manually turn on or off if the outside is hot and the refer is struggling to cool down.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Mike,
You add an interesting angle to the failure to cool down while driving. With both sources of power it seems more like venting or door leak. I thought in the scheme of cooling performance the 12 volt was quite far below 120 volt and propane. Can that account for the difference?
Paul,
Are you still happy with your vent mod? I'm about to do the same thing. My only concern was if the new metal grid will get too warm in the propane exhaust. The existing wire grid doesn't have much mass to retain heat, but the decorative grid might.

Also, my fridge does work okay on 12V when the trailer is parked and the fans are running, contrary to what I said before. I had a disconnected wire that Camping World reconnected when they serviced my fridge, and today I let it run on 12V all day and it stayed cool. My only problems are when I'm towing, so I intend to install the grid in the roof vent.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Still experimenting. Georgia hit 90 degrees today while driving, some good test conditions. Now, if I could just control all the other variables like packing the fridge, keeping the door closed and location of the temperature sensor.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #45
m&k

Trailer: 2017 19' Sold
How do you handle the food safety issues in the refrigerator when the temperate is in the mid 40's and it temperatures outside was in the mid 70's. This week it is going to hit mid 90's as we start out for another short trip. Seems like keeping the beer cold got the most coverage - but what about potato salad, lunch meat, milk - what is the "Throw the food out temperature". Put the fan switch in, have not done the grid exchange on the roof. Did read somewhere to put insulation inside fridge in the door panel - Did that help....
m&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
1st time we ran into the fridge getting up into the 50's we tossed out all the items that could spoil, milk, eggs, and such. We now carry a cooler just in case and keep an eye on the temps. Hasn't happened since we went to the 2 door fridge. Of course we haven't been out in the high temps we hit that first trip either.

We really don't carry much that'll go bad, as long as the freezer stays frozen, which it always has, we wouldn't loose much. If needed I'll get some ice for the cooler and move what needs cooling.

I don't worry about the temps till the fridge gets up into the high 40's. There is a magic number if you do a search for it, think it's in the lower 40's, I;m sure someone will pipe in with it.

For me, short trips have never been a problem, just the long ones.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #47
m&k

Thank you Padlin. Phoenix summers used to cool down at night, not so much any more. Guess we'll be getting up with the chickens for trips in July and later.
m&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #48
m&k

We're not the only ones

Goto page 1, 2 Next
Motorhome Facts -> AutoTrail Motorhomes
Author: wp1234,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:10 am Post subject: Dometic RMD 8555 not cold enough
Hi All,

Has anybody had probelms with a Dometic RMD 8555 fridge not being able to cope with outside temps of 35 deg plus.The fridge seems to work very well in 'normal' UK outside temps and takes the internal temp down to about 3-4 deg but in France we had iinternal fridge l temps up to 12 - 14 deg at times .

Is fitting an electric fan to the vent system the answer to this problem as some tell me?If so where do I get one of the fans from and are they easy to fit ?

Thanks for any advice in advance
Author: bognormike,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:19 am Post subject:
it may well be that there is insufficient ventilation for it to work well. Other peopel have mentioned fridge fans, and I fitted one to our Pilote. A doddle to do, get a computer fan from maplins or maybe a "dead" computer, a length of 2 core wire and a small switch. Run 12v from a nearby lighting circuit, and fit the switch in line. I had the switch in a locker, and turned it on when on site in hot conditions. The fan fitted in the top ventilator grille, and worked well by sucking more air through the back of the fridge, to get the temperature down.
Author: TheNomad,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:51 am Post subject:
Yep.
Just fit a fan.

Solves the problem every time. They really should be fitted from new to all MH's!!

We live in Spain. It gets VERY hot here in summer.

I've fitted a twin fan with auto thermostat kit inside the upper external vent for a large size 3-way fridge freezer. It draws almost zero power, and almost impossible to hear when running. It has got an on/off switch, and a manual override switch which will make both fans operate all the time.
It cost about 50 euros from a motorhome accessories shop in France.
Took no more than half an hour to fit, including its little control panel and attaching live and neutral 12 volt power from leisure battery supply.
But if you are handy, then any little 12 volt fan for computer use, plus a little switch, would do broadly the same job for less money.

Ever since then our fridge and freezer have been utterly brilliant.
I have also found as an unexpected by-product that we now use quite a bit less gas (we almost always wild-camp or use Aires rather than campsites with EHU, so fridge is on gas almost all the time we are parked up)

This is the type of thing that I fitted:

Very very highly recommended for every motorhome.
Author: Easyriders,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:12 am Post subject:
We also fitted a fan, and it does help. But all absorption fridges (which is what 3 way fridges are) struggle to get more than 20 or 25 degrees C below ambient temperature, even with a fan. A fridge needs to be at 4C ideally, so if the temperature is above 30C you are in danger of food poisoning. In Portugal where we were a month ago it was 43C.

Positioning the side of the MH the fridge is on facing north helps a bit.

We got fed up of throwing food away the first time we went abroad and invested in a Waeco fridge/freezer, about the size of a large coolbox. It's brilliant! It works off 12v or mains (not gas because it's a compressor type), and it's very quiet. We run it as a freezer all the time, and always have at least 2 blue freezer blocks in it, which we put in the MH fridge to lower the temperature.

Invest in a fridge thermometer and try the fan route first, but f you want peace of mind and travel regularly to hot climates, consider a Waeco or similar compressor type. Expensive, but we think it's well worth it.
Author: VJP,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:18 pm Post subject:
Take the outside grill off and remove the mesh. Others don't bother putting the grill cover back.
Author: kenp,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm Post subject:
Lots of good advice here:

Or type " refrigerator fans" into the Search Forums box.

kenp
Author: sideways,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:07 pm Post subject:
Just back from 3 weeks in Germany staying on stellplatz it was 98 in the van some days, the fridge was on gas and defrosted the ice box we had to resort to electric and it improved things my van is 10 years old and my mate who was with us has a 3 year old van they never struggled with the fridge. i thought it was an age thing so will try the fan trick and see if it works.
Author: Techno100,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 pm Post subject:
TheNomad wrote: ‹ Select › ‹ Expand ›
Yep.
Just fit a fan.

Solves the problem every time. They really should be fitted from new to all MH's!!

We live in Spain. It gets VERY hot here in summer.

I've fitted a twin fan with auto thermostat kit inside the upper external vent for a large size 3-way fridge freezer. It draws almost zero power, and almost impossible to hear when running. It has got an on/off switch, and a manual override switch which will make both fans operate all the time.
It cost about 50 euros from a motorhome accessories shop in France.
Took no more than half an hour to fit, including its little control panel and attaching live and neutral 12 volt power from leisure battery supply.
But if you are handy, then any little 12 volt fan for computer use, plus a little switch, would do broadly the same job for less money.

Ever since then our fridge and freezer have been utterly brilliant.
I have also found as an unexpected by-product that we now use quite a bit less gas (we almost always wild-camp or use Aires rather than campsites with EHU, so fridge is on gas almost all the time we are parked up)

This is the type of thing that I fitted:
Only registered users can see links on our Forum
Join Now or Login

Very very highly recommended for every motorhome.

Much cheaper outside of EBAY from same seller. Less than £39 delivered
Only registered users can see links on our Forum
Join Now or Login
Author: Rapide561,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:39 am Post subject: Fridge
Hi

I agree with "Easyriders" - we too park the fan with the fridge on the easterly/shaded side when in hot places. It makes a big difference.

Russell
Author: teensvan,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:45 pm Post subject:
Hi wp1234.

I fitted 2 90mm dia computer fans to the cooling fins of the fridge 3 years ago when we were in Germany. Worked very well. They are about £6/7 in maplins. Just use tywraps to fit the fans to the cooling fins. Just wire them up to the leisure battery via a 3amp fuse and switch. I have seen kits for this in Spain

steve & ann. ----------teensvan
Motorhome Facts -> AutoTrail Motorhomes