Refrigerator got too warm during day and too cold later - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Refrigerator got too warm during day and too cold later

We usually camp in mostly cool, wet, shady conditions in our "new" 2012 19'.
Last week we took a trip to central Oregon and parked in the sun with daytime temps in the 80's. We dry camp and use propane for the reefer and always level the the trailer. I noticed during the day the Dometic #RM2510 refrigerator temp was approaching 50 degrees and I would turn the knob to max to try and reduce the temp. This resulted in near freezing temps during the night so I began the practice of reducing the setting at night to 3-4. Even at the max setting, it appeared to have difficulty in cooling to the 35-40 range I would prefer. The upper shelf continued to keep items frozen. And it always fires right up and operates fine while being towed. I read in the owners manual that a packed refrigerator can adversely affect cooling which we were guilty of, but that wouldn't explain the near freezing temps at night. I've owned other RV's and this was never an issue.

Is this a typical operation? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome to the world of crappy absorption refrigerators. What you experienced is normal. The refrigerator is doing exactly what you're telling it to do. Unfortunately ambient temperature plays the biggest role. You'll learn to turn it down at night and up during the day. And yes, don't pack it full. Food in the refrigerator needs air space around it. But, if you pack the freezer, it's actually more efficient. Water bottles work fine, if you don't have food for the freezer. And carry a cooler if it gets real hot, you may need it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have the same fridge and same issues. I monitor the temps with an indoor/outdoor thermometer and adjust as necessary.
We keep food, like cheese, sandwich meats and butter in a container so that it can be grabbed quickly and the door closed. I load the bottom shelf with beer before bed so that it can chill overnight.
We freeze chicken halves, steaks and such at home and load up the freezer compartment. They are thawed in the fridge compartment during the day to help moderate temps.
And, where you place the thermometer makes a big difference in the reading you get. We keep ketchup, mustard, salad dressing in the door shelves since that is the warmest spot and they are not so temperature sensitive.
I also bought an Igloo cooler, but it's not so hot itself at keeping ice. It's my back-up, for chilling drinks and opening frequently, so the fridge door can stay closed.
We've gotten into the habit of pressing on the fridge door, after closing to make sure it is fully closed.
I wiped down the door seals last week.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A circulation fan inside helps keep all areas evenly cooled.
FridgeCool Fan with On/Off Switch - Valterra A10-2606 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World

Absorption fridges basically work with a temperature differential, and as outside temperatures rise, so does the effective temperature in the fridge.

We recently bought a wireless thermostat to monitor the fridge and freezer temperatures, which has helped a lot at keeping the temps within a desired range.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have the same fridge and same issues. I monitor the temps with an indoor/outdoor thermometer and adjust as necessary.
We keep food, like cheese, sandwich meats and butter in a container so that it can be grabbed quickly and the door closed. I load the bottom shelf with beer before bed so that it can chill overnight.
We freeze chicken halves, steaks and such at home and load up the freezer compartment. They are thawed in the fridge compartment during the day to help moderate temps.
And, where you place the thermometer makes a big difference in the reading you get. We keep ketchup, mustard, salad dressing in the door shelves since that is the warmest spot and they are not so temperature sensitive.
I also bought an Igloo cooler, but it's not so hot itself at keeping ice. It's my back-up, for chilling drinks and opening frequently, so the fridge door can stay closed.
We've gotten into the habit of pressing on the fridge door, after closing to make sure it is fully closed.
I wiped down the door seals last week.

Hi Glenn,
Your refrigerator management mirrors how we operate our refrigerator too. I would only add that sometimes we pull into a Campground with very small trees or very little shade in hot, dry areas. We usually don't have reservations and often find that we have our pick of spots. When we do, we usually orient our trailer so the refrigerator is in the shade in the afternoon. It's picks us up several degrees of cushion and allows us to operate the control on about 4.
I have a good cooler, buy block ice in grocery stores, cover the cooler lid with my heavy jacket, manage my beverages for the day each morning so that I can get what I need out of the cooler quickly, and hope people stop by and have a cold one with them for me. Thanks, Jack, Bill, Adran, Eric, Todd, Jon, Jack from Sarnia, Jim Norman, and many many more. And remember this, whiskey needs no refrigeration.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Glenn,
Your refrigerator management mirrors how we operate our refrigerator too. I would only add that sometimes we pull into a Campground with very small trees or very little shade in hot, dry areas. We usually don't have reservations and often find that we have our pick of spots. When we do, we usually orient our trailer so the refrigerator is in the shade in the afternoon. It's picks us up several degrees of cushion and allows us to operate the control on about 4.
I have a good cooler, buy block ice in grocery stores, cover the cooler lid with my heavy jacket, manage my beverages for the day each morning so that I can get what I need out of the cooler quickly, and hope people stop by and have a cold one with them for me. Thanks, Jack, Bill, Adran, Eric, Todd, Jon, Jack from Sarnia, Jim Norman, and many many more. And remember this, whiskey needs no refrigeration.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... TRUE; but best kept in the freezer. Then it doesn't dilute in the ice cubes so fast!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Spirited discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... TRUE; but best kept in the freezer. Then it doesn't dilute in the ice cubes so fast!!! Alf
Hi Alf,
Especially Schnapps, and Jagermeister when I want to feel like a kid again. Cold bourbon or a blended Canadian in a shot glass, always good. And the words of my Dad from over fifty years ago, "Don't burn my whiskey, boy." I can hear it like it was yesterday. Nothing like a glass of ice wine and a ball of good ice cream. Refrigeration, gotta have it.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Must have been tougher awhile back to keep your drinks cool, I remember having an ice box and ice delivery to the neighborhood......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cutting
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Must have been tougher awhile back to keep your drinks cool, I remember having an ice box and ice delivery to the neighborhood......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_cutting
Hi: cpaharley2008... Here's mine but it's too heavy to put in "Escape Hatch II". Former kitchen view.. new kitchen view Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1040337.jpg   P1040474.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #10

Ice Box

Quote:
Hi: cpaharley2008... Here's mine but it's too heavy to put in "Escape Hatch II". Alf
Would love to see the pic.
Dave
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Good whiskey should be drank at room temperature, and never with ice cubes, otherwise it kills the yummy flavours.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #12

Ice box

Alf,
Love the quarter sawn oak. Bet it keeps the spirits handy.
Dave
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Why does turning down the fridge during the heat of the day make any difference? If the the temp is high then the fridge will run to return to/maintain the 3, 4 or 5 bar setting. It's binary like a thermostat, correct (on or off)? It doesn't work "harder" at colder settings.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
Why does turning down the fridge during the heat of the day make any difference? If the the temp is high then the fridge will run to return to/maintain the 3, 4 or 5 bar setting. It's binary like a thermostat, correct (on or off)? It doesn't work "harder" at colder settings.
we leave ours at 4. 5 didn't make any difference. I think it helps to start out cold which it does about 31 . Leave it alone and it doesn't"t rise too much in the heat of the day. It has a running start . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
Think some might be talking about turning it down at night if temperatures get into the 20s. It can only cool so much, so if it is hot in the day, it likely will never get into the 20s but can at night.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Alf,
Love the quarter sawn oak. Bet it keeps the spirits handy.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Had to move it to the other room as it clashed with the new natural walnut look. Thing weighs a tonne!!! It's double walls filled with saw dust. Just add ice and she's runin' Don't forget to add a drip pan underneath... and empty it too! Alf
Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Would love to see the pic.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Here's some of the contents. Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1020813.jpg   P1020814.jpg   P1020822.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Hi: cpaharley2008... Here's mine but it's too heavy to put in "Escape Hatch II". Former kitchen view.. new kitchen view Alf
He Alf,
Great minds, but not my idea. Belonged to friend who moved to Nova Scotia and didn't want to take it with her. Her dad lined the whole thing with mirror. Top holds glassware and is also mirrored.
I only drink beer, which is why the thing is full of liquor for guests ( who don't seem to drink it either ).
Attached Thumbnails
Liquor cabinet.jpg   Liquor cabinet 2.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I can take care of that Bombay Sapphire for you Glenn, as long as you have some tonic and lime....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Welcome to the world of crappy absorption refrigerators. What you experienced is normal. The refrigerator is doing exactly what you're telling it to do. Unfortunately ambient temperature plays the biggest role. You'll learn to turn it down at night and up during the day. And yes, don't pack it full. Food in the refrigerator needs air space around it. But, if you pack the freezer, it's actually more efficient. Water bottles work fine, if you don't have food for the freezer. And carry a cooler if it gets real hot, you may need it.
Thanks Donna. Are these absorption type refrigerators unique to Escapes or are they used in all campers?
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote