Refrigerator not cooling on the road - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Refrigerator not cooling on the road

During our latest trip, we were able to measure the temperature inside our Dometic refrigerator by mounting an indoor-outdoor thermometer on the fridge door with a sensor on the inside of the refrigerator. With this we could keep an eye on the temperature without opening the refrigerator door. The refrigerator cooled very well while the camper was parked (easily achieving low 30 degrees Fahrenheit), but cooled poorly, if at all, while the camper was in motion. The temperature in the fridge rose to the mid-40s and lower 50s in the course of a day's drive, then decreased again after the camper was parked. The refrigerator was set to propane under both circumstances and the flame stayed lit. Outdoor temperatures were mild.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts on the solution?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Re: Refrigerator not cooling on the road

How do you know that it stayed on while towing? Is it possible the flame went out and rellghted itself when you stopped? Put a penny on top of an ice cube in a tiny cup in your freezer. If it warms and defrosts and then refreezes, the penny will be incased in ice.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

All I can say is that I turned off the fridge, and the propane, in Oregon and when we got home to BC some five hours later, the ice cream in the freezer was only somewhat soft. Perfect for serving, actually.

Perhaps, and it's only because one shouldn't put all one's trust in anything.. perhaps, there was a problem with the remote thermometer?
I'm only suggesting..

We just traveled 4 1/2 hours down from the Okanagan with the fridge shut off. It was about 39-42f when we left and about 46 when we arrived home. So, I don't understand how your fridge could warm up that much, even if it wasn't running.

We have the 5.0 cu. ft. fridge.

baglo

Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo
Their has been a lot of discussion on Dometic fridges on this forum.
Chuck
I'd like to point out that, like any discussion of any product on any forum, it is unlikely that people who have had no problems are going to post.
I took that into account when buying a home carpet cleaner. I read many reviews about leaks and such and then I calculated that if the machine worked 10 times I would be saving money over a rental from Safeway and I didn't have to pick it up and return it. I've used it many more times than that and more than gotten value for my money.

I think to expect everything to work perfectly as long as you own it, while driving over washboard roads and through deserts and arctic ice, is asking a lot.

But then, solutions to problems and answers to questions is what this forum is all about.

Not trying to stifle discussion. Just trying to keep it in perspective.

baglo
Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

Ironically I visited the forum today because of MORE problems with our Dometic fridge.

We've had our Escape only a few months and already it's been in the shop twice (for over four weeks total) because of the fridge. We've already had to cancel one trip. And with a trip looming next week -- our fridge is, once again, not cooling.

Baglo, for what it's worth, Reace noted problems with recent fridges (when I read him my serial number he moaned) ... with regard to rvomaha's problem, I don't know if you have a newer Escape, but with ours, initially our fridge would actually go out whenever we moved the trailer -- the ignition would still be clicking even after several hours' drive. This ended up being a "loose something or other" (I am quoting our lousy repair guy on that one). Anyway, I suspect you too have a "loose something or other" -- and that your fridge is actually able to relight itself when you stop (unlike ours). I suspect if Reace could tell you what's loose you may be able to tighten it yourself.

Meanwhile, our cooling unit was replaced -- the fridge worked ok for about a week -- but now it's pack to 10C/50F on "7" on electric. This is only a few degrees better than it was last time. Dometic has a brick wall built around their service peeps, so I've got another call in to Reace for help (our RV shop here is abysmal).

medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

which Dometic model do you have in your unit?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #7

Why, I just went out to the trailer to get it

MFG # 958530491
Serial# 13895261
Model# RM2510.2RX

I can't remember now if it was the serial number or manufacturer number that Reace moaned about ...

Gee, only FIFTEEN callers in queue at Dometic "customer service" ...
Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

To follow up on baglo's comment regarding not posting if you don't have a problem, we have had no issues (knocking on wood) with the 5.0 Dometic in our late model (Sept. 2011) Escape 19. We have the fridge set at 3 both on the road and stopped and everything stays nice and cold. For what it's worth.......

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

we have the 6.7 in our 19 ft and last week in montana it was 38 c and had to get one of those little battery operated fans but after that it kept up. it actually seemed to work better when we were travelling than just sitting in the blazzing sun and it was on the coldest setting.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Sure do wish the 6.7 would fit in the 17. I have had all kinds of problems with my 5 cu ft fridge in my 17 - so far have replaced the heater & cooling unit under warrantee , and more recently, the thermostat. None of it Reace's fault, if fact last July he fixed the problems that Camping World's "Repair" caused. While there are some advantages to older technology, Dometic's 5 cu ft refrigerator isn't one of them!

So far, it is now working as it should. The flame still sometimes blows out while driving, but it starts cooling when ever I stop or even slow down. One point - one of the problems with it relighting while driving was the end of the spark lighter was closer to the thermocouple than the gas jet. It would sometimes light, but usually there wasn't enough spark getting to the burner to start it.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #11

Jon,
If your flame sometimes blows out, does it continually keep trying to ignite until it does? Is this a problem later on, will you wear out the igniter after hours of tying? Or does it shut out after awhile and stops trying to light? Thanks for any info.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #12

For what it's worth, when ours did that the ignition would click indefinitely. We once didn't realize it had happened, parked at night, and came out the next day to clicking.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #13

Now that I think about it, I believe the fridge in our 19 is indeed the 6.7, not the 5.0 as previously stated. I guess I was remembering the one we had in our 17. Sorry for any inconvenience <g>. Still , we haven't had any problems so far.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

To add fuel to the fire, I have this model as well (RM2510) and have had issues with the gasket. It tore and the metal magentic strip slid out. Unfortunately, I purchased four months after Dometic changed their warranty from three years to two years. $160 US for a new gasket, at this time I am trying some DipIt, the product used to coat the grips in your pliers, looks OK so far.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye

So far, it is now working as it should. The flame still sometimes blows out while driving, but it starts cooling when ever I stop or even slow down. One point - one of the problems with it relighting while driving was the end of the spark lighter was closer to the thermocouple than the gas jet. It would sometimes light, but usually there wasn't enough spark getting to the burner to start it.
Jon,

Thanks very much for your helpful response. The flame blowing out theory is starting to look pretty good. We noticed that the manual says the flame will reignite if it blows out.

We're curious, though, how can you tell that the flame is blowing out? It seems that by the time you would get back in the camper to check it, the clicking of the reignition would already be over.

Have you been able to come up with a solution to prevent the flame from blowing out?

Thanks.

Jay and Liz
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #16

This must be the 5 c/f Dometic model everyone is having issues with, is it not?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

gee, we have just lately started travelling with the propane on-(no issues so far)-we have the smaller 3.3 model in our 17--knock on wood (we are heading out on a three week trip) but it sure keeps things frozen while on the road--last weekend we were on propane all weekend and my frozen veggies stayed exactly the same (although the penny idea is a good one--I'll try it first time out in a couple weeks to make sure it is staying lit)

We did have the little tube from the freezer break and the RV shop quoted $65 plus shipping to get the repair kit--some clear plastic tubing we already had from a wine kit and a copper elbow fixed it for $1.27!!!

Other than that no issues and I was wishing we had the bigger fridge, but now--I'll take the car plug in cooler if I need more room!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I am starting to get worried about mine now with all these problems! Seems like the 5.0 might be a real lemon model. Someone posted on a thread about this place that has supposedly very high quality replacement cooling units : http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront I guess I better keep it as a bookmark.....

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #19

Over on the Lance trailer forums we had issues with the flame going out while towing. It seems the lower vent allows too much air, some members installed baffles behind the screen to keep the pilot light on. I installed one of these behind my exterior cover, properly sized (they come in a variety of sizes) and it seemed to allow my Lance refer to stay lighted. In addition it has a screen to keep bugs out. I was planning on doing this to my Escape over the winter, installing the screen vents on both the upper and lower openings. This may be a fix that will allow the pilots to stay on while traveling. I'm going to try it only for the bug reasons as my pilot has remained on. If you decide, please check with Reace first for his opinion. It will cut down on turbulence and I do not see where it would hinder the air flow by adding the interior screen vent.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01110.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
Over on the Lance trailer forums we had issues with the flame going out while towing. It seems the lower vent allows too much air, some members installed baffles behind the screen to keep the pilot light on. I installed one of these behind my exterior cover, properly sized (they come in a variety of sizes) and it seemed to allow my Lance refer to stay lighted. In addition it has a screen to keep bugs out. I was planning on doing this to my Escape over the winter, installing the screen vents on both the upper and lower openings. This may be a fix that will allow the pilots to stay on while traveling. I'm going to try it only for the bug reasons as my pilot has remained on. If you decide, please check with Reace first for his opinion. It will cut down on turbulence and I do not see where it would hinder the air flow by adding the interior screen vent.
How helpful you have all been! It would never have occurred to us that the flame could be blowing out on the road and subsequently relighting itself later! We presumed (wrongly) that if it was blowing out, we'd encounter the clicking of re-ignition attempts when we next went into the camper.

to cpaharley (certified public accountant?), the baffle seems like a possible fix, although I am having trouble understanding your second photo. Could you post a link to the product? We are in touch with Reace about our fridge issue now that he is back. Maybe we'll all learn something together about the 5.0 refrigerators. It might be that not cooling on the road is happening to more refrigerators than recognized, since I bet many people don't monitor the fridge temps with a thermometer. --Liz