Refrigerator not working and photos of Camano - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Refrigerator not working and photos of Camano

Houston, I've got a problem. Never turned on refrigerator until I arrived at Camano Island State Park. Seemed to take a long time for things to cool down. Actually, they never really did.

Day before yesterday I bought a refrigerator thermometer. I'm in the "Danger Zone." Threw out chicken I had purchased.

Trailer is level.

I will take my thermometer to the camp hosts (no one else is in the park) and ask them to put in their refrigerator, just to check the reading. Actually, that will only help for the future but just curious.

So . . . before I contact ETI, does anyone have any suggestions?

Other than that, everything is fantastic. I lucked into the most awesome site sitting over Puget Sound with a perfect view of heavenliness.

There are Orcas, Humpbacks and porpoises that go through here. Haven't seen any yet but did see two beautiful eagles glide oh-so-slowly past this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
forum 1.jpeg   forum 2.jpeg   forum 3.jpeg  
Old 10-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Ellen, not to be insulting but what are you running on, 110v, 12v, or propane? And how many bars are you set at. You should have it set to 5 bars.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

No insult taken! I'm running on propane and it is set at 5 bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ellen, not to be insulting but wag at are you running on, 110v, 12v, or propane? And how many bars are you set at. You should have it set to 5 bars.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #4

Did you try it on 110v, or 12v if you have solar?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Detail will help. On propane, electric? Other info? Even when working well takes overnight to cool down. Longer if warm food. Are the fins cold?

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I suspect that time is on your side. Most of us plug our empty refers in the night before embarking on a trip and then stock it with cold (and frozen) food.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Propane stove works?

Battery cutoff switch "up"?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #8

No electric available. Not at the site now -- went into town to use Starbucks' wifi. Will try on 12V but in a rush to get this perfect site, didn't notice that it is completely covered with trees, plus it's has rained most every day. Reading got down to 11. Am a little nervous about running the refrigerator on 12V under the circumstances. Do you know the lowest reading it is safe to get down to with solar?

Quote:
Did you try it on 110v, or 12v if you have solar?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

On propane. It's been on for a couple of days now. Haven't checked the fins. Will do that when I get back to the site. Thanks, Carl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Detail will help. On propane, electric? Other info? Even when working well takes overnight to cool down. Longer if warm food. Are the fins cold?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

That makes sense, Karen. I stocked with almost all room temp foods. But still, it's been a few days already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I suspect that time is on your side. Most of us plug our empty refers in the night before embarking on a trip and then stock it with cold (and frozen) food.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #11

Propane stove working fine.
Battery cutoff switch? Missed that part of Orientation. Is that under the seat in the back on the driver's side? If so, haven't touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Propane stove works?

Battery cutoff switch "up"?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Houston, I've got a problem. Never turned on refrigerator until I arrived at Camano Island State Park. Seemed to take a long time for things to cool down. Actually, they never really did.

Day before yesterday I bought a refrigerator thermometer. I'm in the "Danger Zone." Threw out chicken I had purchased.

Trailer is level.

I will take my thermometer to the camp hosts (no one else is in the park) and ask them to put in their refrigerator, just to check the reading. Actually, that will only help for the future but just curious.

So . . . before I contact ETI, does anyone have any suggestions?

Other than that, everything is fantastic. I lucked into the most awesome site sitting over Puget Sound with a perfect view of heavenliness.

There are Orcas, Humpbacks and porpoises that go through here. Haven't seen any yet but did see two beautiful eagles glide oh-so-slowly past this morning.
Hi Ellen . Beautiful pictures . Some of us always carry at least ,a good ice chest , just in case . We have found 12 volt never works good . It takes awhile to get frig started . One of those inside fans help too .Good to start with cold items . Good you are level . Gas we find is the fastest and best . You could keep your items in ice chest until temps get down . We always run frig a day or two before trip to get a good start . Make sure air can circulate around items . I think your frig is probably fine ,it just works different then our home frig . There are just some things that help it along . We keep ours now at 4 bars , never moving and got great results . Hope this helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Quote:
No electric available. Not at the site now -- went into town to use Starbucks' wifi. Will try on 12V but in a rush to get this perfect site, didn't notice that it is completely covered with trees, plus it's has rained most every day. Reading got down to 11. Am a little nervous about running the refrigerator on 12V under the circumstances. Do you know the lowest reading it is safe to get down to with solar?
I wouldn't want my batteries much lower than where you say they are. And I would not run the refrigerator on 12v unless the batteries are 12v + and the sun is shining. Is the stove working as has already been asked?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Propane stove working fine.
Battery cutoff switch? Missed that part of Orientation. Is that under the seat in the back on the driver's side? If so, haven't touched.
Also the battery switch needs to be on . Frig does need battery power too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
In your case, don't use the battery setting, will use too much juice. Do you hear the flame burning at the outside vent? Is the light on when you open the door?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
If your battery is indeed 11 V somebody should be helping you look at getting that back up.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #17

Thanks, Pat. Maybe there is too much in there now. It just seems it should still be colder than it is after being on for a few days. I will take out some of the items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Ellen . Beautiful pictures . Some of us always carry at least ,a good ice chest , just in case . We have found 12 volt never works good . It takes awhile to get frig started . One of those inside fans help too .Good to start with cold items . Good you are level . Gas we find is the fastest and best . You could keep your items in ice chest until temps get down . We always run frig a day or two before trip to get a good start . Make sure air can circulate around items . I think your frig is probably fine ,it just works different then our home frig . There are just some things that help it along . We keep ours now at 4 bars , never moving and got great results . Hope this helps . Pat
Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Reading got down to 11. Am a little nervous about running the refrigerator on 12V under the circumstances. Do you know the lowest reading it is safe to get down to with solar?
I'm concerned about "Reading got down to 11".

Are you talking about 11 Volts from your battery?
I would hook up and get as site with electric service and then try to figure out the fridge and battery.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #19

Yes, stove working fine. Will try to hook up and charge from the car -- will that help? What is the lowest V it can get and still run things? Is it hurting the system being at 11? Thanks!!!

Quote:
I wouldn't want my batteries much lower than where you say they are. And I would not run the refrigerator on 12v unless the batteries are 12v + and the sun is shining. Is the stove working as has already been asked?
Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ellen says the refrigerator has been on for more than a couple of days and hasn't cooled down acceptably. I find 110v cools Just as fast as gas when first turning it on. And I actually get colder temperatures traveling down the road on 12v/solar than I get with either 110v or propane, so I would say that 12v works quite well. And I do not bother with inside fans yet the refrigerator stays around 35-36 degrees even with high outside temperatures.