Refrigerator on propane while moving? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Refrigerator on propane while moving?

Do any members leave their fridge running on propane while the trailer is travelling, and if so, does this present any problems ? Flame blowing out? Is it permitted everywhere?

My only experience has been to be told to shut off all propane valves before boarding a ferry.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Propane off for ferries, tunnels and while fueling. Other than that no issues.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There are lots of threads here on the subject, and lots of conflicting opinions. We tow running the fridge on propane, and have had no issues.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
We turn off the propane while traveling. It's much easier than turning it off before every gas station or tunnel. And we find that the batteries handle it OK.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
So you turn it off at the tank? And does that cause re-start issues when you get to your destination? We've been travelling with it running because it's been a little warm and I have a concern about how cold the fridge stays just running off the batteries when in transit.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
So it has been woking fine at highway speeds?
Is yours a 12V/120V/gas Unit? My instructor at RV101 said to never use the 12V while traveling because the battery would not be able to maintain the fridge temp in a typical tug & trailer set-up.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
We have the three way option but have been just using propane, as you say, because I'm not sure the other options will keep things cool / cold. Hate to lose ice cream!

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
Is yours a 12V/120V/gas Unit? My instructor at RV101 said to never use the 12V while traveling because the battery would not be able to maintain the fridge temp in a typical tug & trailer set-up.
I was going to get a three-way fridge until Reace said that if you leave a campsite with a depleted battery ( maybe running the furnace overnight ) and head for another campsite, you will arrive with a depleted battery. The tow may supply enough power to run the fridge on 12V, but can't do that and charge the battery at the same time.
I opted for a two-way fridge and I run with fridge on propane.
Another option is just turn the fridge off if ambient temps aren't too hot, but don't open the door to get anything out.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Do any members leave their fridge running on propane while the trailer is travelling, and if so, does this present any problems ? Flame blowing out? Is it permitted everywhere?
Quote:
I have used both 12V and propane in a trailer; I preferred 12V because the propane burner in that model of refrigerator was a pain to light. I never had a problem with it blowing out.

My motorhome's refrigerator - like most larger refrigerators - does not have a 12V mode... so I run it on propane. No problems, and this one is a direct spark ignition model (same series as currently used by Escape), so no hassles.

As the other threads and other posts in this one have explained, having the propane tank valves open is permitted almost everywhere, with tunnels and ferries being the common exceptions. The only other restriction is that in a gas station there can't be an open flame - that means the burner must be off (and not set to ignite), but the propane tank valves can be open and propane available to all appliances, because in a gas station the hazard is the flame and not the propane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
So you turn it off at the tank? And does that cause re-start issues when you get to your destination? We've been travelling with it running because it's been a little warm and I have a concern about how cold the fridge stays just running off the batteries when in transit.
If propane is not allowed (such as in a tunnel), it is turned off at the tank, and there can be a delay in relighting.
At a gas station, the refrigerator (and water heater and furnace) only need to be switched off - the propane supply isn't interrupted and there is no delay in restarting when allowed.

Quote:
My instructor at RV101 said to never use the 12V while traveling because the battery would not be able to maintain the fridge temp in a typical tug & trailer set-up.
This has been a challenge for some people; however, if the 12 volt mode isn't usable when driving, it is essentially useless. Still, most small RV refrigerators are 3-way, including 12V operation. Why would RV manufacturers, who as an industry are well-known for cost efficiency, pay for the 12V mode? It can and does work for many.

In the standard electrical connection used between tug and trailer in Europe, there are two power supply circuits: one to charge the battery, and a separate one for the refrigerator. Some refrigerators - including Dometic models used by Escape - have both separate 12V DC power inputs for the control electronics and for the heater, and a vehicle running signal to control mode switching. I'm not aware of anyone using these features in North America, but with at least some models they could be used to avoid the problem of running down the trailer battery.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
'm not aware of anyone using these features in North America, but with at least some models they could be used to avoid the problem of running down the trailer battery.
The problem, as described to me by Reace, is not that the battery will be run down, driving on 12V. It's that the tow vehicle doesn't have the oomph to charge a battery that is already run down, and to run the fridge at the same time.
So, if your batteries are fully charged when you leave one campground, you should be able to run on 12V and arrive with charged batteries.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
re - the above post - ... and this is why we decided to get dual solar panels on the 21' roof, plus dual 6v batteries.

we can tow with the fridge on batteries, and solar, and arrive with full or almost full dual 6v.... in most weather.

and never have to worry about gas stations or whatever.

plus with dual solar panels we are always fully recharged by noon the next day, pretty much no matter the weather.

it was an extra expense, but it suits the way we camp. (often boondocking)

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
fridge on propane

My fridge works best on propane so I always have it on propane when driving.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The problem, as described to me by Reace, is not that the battery will be run down, driving on 12V. It's that the tow vehicle doesn't have the oomph to charge a battery that is already run down, and to run the fridge at the same time.
I think it is essentially impossible that a modern vehicle has inadequate charging capacity to both charge an Escape battery as fast as you would want to, while simultaneously running the little refrigerator element. The wiring from the tow vehicle's battery to the trailer - and within the trailer - can certainly be inadequate, causing too much loss of voltage over the length of the wire when current draw is high. A separate circuit to the refrigerator would mean that powering the refrigerator would not affect the current to the trailer battery, any more than turning on the headlights of the tow vehicle (or any other in-vehicle load of a few amps) affects the trailer battery.

No, I have not run a separate circuit for the refrigerator, but then I haven't had this problem with discharging the trailer's battery (or not charging it).

My first car had a 35 amp alternator. Yeah, if you're towing a travel trailer with a 34 year old compact car at night, you might not have enough oomph! At the other extreme, even if you get a tug with a taxi/police or commercial vehicle package (with 200 amp alternator), if you hook up the trailer through one 12-gauge wire, it probably won't be enough.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have always driven with the fridge on propane, and never had an issue with flame blowout. It is a rare thing for me to hit a ferry or tunnel where it is required to be off, but a 30 second stop will take care of that, or like once this year, just turned it off when waiting in line for the ferry.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I tow with the fridge on 12v and it actually keeps things at an adequate temperature. I only use it when I know I will have electricity at the next campgrounds, or where I'm staying. I also have freezer packs that I move into the fridge area when traveling this seems to help as well.
It seems to work.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have always driven with the fridge on propane, and never had an issue with flame blowout. It is a rare thing for me to hit a ferry or tunnel where it is required to be off, but a 30 second stop will take care of that, or like once this year, just turned it off when waiting in line for the ferry.
Pretty much ditto. For ferries, yes, it has to go off and they or you have to put a placard on the valve stating that it's turned off. But, considering the percentage of time spent travelling on ferries that's pretty much a non-issue. I understand that in some states there are tunnels that require the propane to be off. However I've never encountered that in any of the 20 or so states or 10 provinces that I've been in.

I never turn my fridge off when gassing up. As far as I'm concerned it's not near the pump. A van type RV, yes, but for a trailer out in open air, no. A person could be standing in the same location smoking. I know, lot's of contrary views on whether it has to be turned off.

And lastly, , our fridge just ran flawlessly on propane for 18,000 km., turned off only when in an RV park on 110 volts. First tank, already used a bit, lasted 5 weeks with frozen food the whole time. Propane, you gotta love it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0
We have 250 watts of solar power on the roof and it keeps the batteries charged and the fridge does just fine.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #18

Now that I have solar on the trailer, something I never had before, I think I will try 12V and see how it performs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I understand that in some states there are tunnels that require the propane to be off. However I've never encountered that in any of the 20 or so states or 10 provinces that I've been in.

I never turn my fridge off when gassing up. As far as I'm concerned it's not near the pump.
In Zion NP is the only place I have bit a tunnel requiring turning propane off.

I too have not bothered to turn it off when refueling.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Now that I have solar on the trailer, something I never had before, I think I will try 12V and see how it performs.
You can do that. But if you have a really poor solar day and the next morning you can't use your coffee grinder and coffee maker you're going to be a real grouch.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote