Refrigerator operation on propane at high elevation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I'm speaking beyond my knowledge here, but I, too, believe the problem lies more with the supply of fuel through the regulator rather than lack of oxygen. Lots of people living above 10,000 feet elevation (Leadville, Colorado, for example) heat their homes through the winter with propane without losing pilot or burn flame. Or is that one of those comparing apples to oranges things?
They just get lower burner output (once the mixture is adjusted properly) for the same size of burner. Fuel orifices can be changed to get the right mixture, although that's not a practical adjustment for travelers. The output is not a problem - just get a big enough furnace. The refrigerator burner is sized for low elevations.

Most propane burners have an air adjustment (for mixture adjustment, because there's usually no way adjust fuel flow at the burner), so it might - depending on model - be possible to adjust for more air to compensate for lower density.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
We're going to try our 2015 vintage RMD 8555 at ~ 9,100 feet (Dillon Reservoir) in a few weeks. I just switched to propane for the first time parked in front of our house at 5,280 feet, so we'll see how that goes. Has anyone had experience with this regulator made by Fairview?
Chuck
Hi, Chuck! We will also be at Dillon Res (early part of August), and so I'm very interested in how your fridge does there. Echoing Robert, I'm pretty sure our regulator was the Fairview and we have replaced it. Will find out in August if the fridge will work at 9300 feet (camping at Collegiate Peaks). You may have already read it, but I whined about this in last summer's Dometic RMD8555 Frustration thread. Basically, our fridge wouldn't run on propane at 9300 ft, but it did at 6900 ft. Good luck!!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Hi, Chuck! We will also be at Dillon Res (early part of August), and so I'm very interested in how your fridge does there. Echoing Robert, I'm pretty sure our regulator was the Fairview and we have replaced it. Will find out in August if the fridge will work at 9300 feet (camping at Collegiate Peaks). You may have already read it, but I whined about this in last summer's Dometic RMD8555 Frustration thread. Basically, our fridge wouldn't run on propane at 9300 ft, but it did at 6900 ft. Good luck!!
Hi Mary,
Enjoy your time in Colorado! We will take our cooler as a back up, but I'm hopeful that our fridge will work at altitude. We're headed up a week from Thursday so I'll report back here. I hope you get good results as well.
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
In late April / early May I camped at Hyde Memorial State Park near Santa Fe, NM, for about ten days. It was at 8700 feet altitude. FWIW, I don't remember a problem with my fridge or furnace burners coming on or staying lit. It was cold, though; I got thirteen inches of snow one day.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mary,
We just came back from a week at over 9000' and no issues at all with fridge, etc. Check whether you have the regulator with the lil front facing flag window with the red and green flag wheel like this: http://amzn.to/2ugDp5T
If so, replace it before your trip, and I'll bet you'll have no issues. I'm pretty sure this is the one Reace sent me to replace the defective flag one and it has been great.
http://amzn.to/2tjsEml
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA (sold) '13 Tundra DC 4.6 tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, that's the stock one we replaced with the MEGR-253H. ]
Hi Robert, do you recall if the replacement was a direct swap, or did you need a different bracket or fittings?
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Hi Robert, do you recall if the replacement was a direct swap, or did you need a different bracket or fittings?
Thanks,
Chuck
Direct swap Chuck. You'll need some small crescent wrenches for the pigtail connections to the regulator. Also, inspect your pigtails and replace them if they're worn or cracked. They're inexpensive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't know if it was a good regulator, or the design of the RM2510 in my 2011 17, but I had no problems running the refrigerator on propane for two weeks at Leadville, CO (10,000'). The furnace worked as well - even in august!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Mary,
We just came back from a week at over 9000' and no issues at all with fridge, etc. Check whether you have the regulator with the lil front facing flag window with the red and green flag wheel like this: http://amzn.to/2ugDp5T
If so, replace it before your trip, and I'll bet you'll have no issues. I'm pretty sure this is the one Reace sent me to replace the defective flag one and it has been great.
http://amzn.to/2tjsEml
yup that is the one we replaced with and new pigtail's . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I don't know if it was a good regulator, or the design of the RM2510 in my 2011 17, but I had no problems running the refrigerator on propane for two weeks at Leadville, CO (10,000'). The furnace worked as well - even in august!
We never had any trouble running our Americana series Dometic fridge (in our 1999 Casita) on propane at 9300 ft, either. That's why it was such a surprise last year when the RMD8555 wouldn't. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll be okay this time, with the new regulator; but if it's not, we'll have an ice chest, and we know how to use the fridge as an icebox, too.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
I've never had a problem running fridge on propane at lake Tahoe (6100 ft) using the original tank from ETI. I switched it out with one from Home Depot, and now propane for fridge keeps turning off. I can see it's seeing my battery so I've packed it with blue ice knowing all my good is probably ruined. Guess instead of enjoying the lake tomorrow, I'll be buying new regulator. This blows, as I just fixed fridge door that flew off hinge. Yeah, I know, Cadilliac problems but still...waaaa
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #32
Site Team

If the only thing you changed was the tank, I doubt the regulator is a problem. It's probably the tank.

There's a check valve that needs to be depressed properly to allow the propane to flow. Try removing and reattaching the tank connection, and also turn the valve back on slowly.

Does your cooktop work?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #33

Yes, my cooktop works. And I've been on 3 trips this year with this tank but at much lower elevation. The funny thing is, I don't hear clicking noise but it doesn't error out (red led blinking for at least 10 minutes. I'm dry camping, and used the battery for a little while but could see it was draining. I decided to just turn it off all together, and figure it out in the morning. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:30 AM   #34
Site Team

I don't know what model of fridge you have, so I don't know what the blinking red means. In most fridges it usually means inadequate DC power, but that's clearly not the case here because as you say, you ran the fridge on DC.

What model of fridge is it?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 AM   #35

Rm 8551. I ran on DC for such a short time not sure it worked.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dreaming View Post
Rm 8551. I ran on DC for such a short time not sure it worked.
Well, if it didn't throw an error on DC, I assume it was working.

Since your cooktop works, that proves propane is flowing. Might be the gas valve on the fridge or something on the burner needing cleaning. Dometic recommends cleaning it once a year, although I don't know anyone who does that.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #37

When towing, I use power from TV as I have a heavy duty alternator and have never had a problem. Upon arrival at campsite, the refrigerator seemed cold but then again, I didn't pay too much attention to it as I had put very little food inside because I was concerned about door opening again. My heavier items (mostly frozen) I placed in a cold sac with blue ice. I just turned on my furnace, and it's working like a charm. I'm wondering if problem is the result of opening control panel in order to replace door. Ergo, problem isn't elevation or propane but damaged during repair
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #38
Site Team

Hmm. I guess that's possible.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:18 AM   #39

Hopefully Dometic is open tomorrow and I can get their take on it. Maybe I need to reset something. Thanks for all the kind help. Escape owners truly are the best!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:29 AM   #40
Site Team

You're welcome, hopefully you can still enjoy the trip.