Refrigerator replacement - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 03:04 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You don't say what model fridge you have. I just had my fridge fixed. It had quit working both on propane and AC. The shop I used removed my 5 cu. ft. Dometic RM2510 and replaced the electric element and the control that switches between electric and propane.

The shop made no mention of any difficulty removing and replacing the fridge to bench test it. ( I know they took it out because I had the trailer at home while they worked on the fridge ).

My trailer is 12 years old and I've had no other problems, other than having the furnace motor replaced under warranty.
Ack! The fridge was removed to do that? I betcha that's what has to happen with my 2010 Escape Dometic. The refridgerator won't shut off when it's placed on shore power, though it operates well on propane when traveling. I figure it's only a matter of time before the propane shut-off doesn't shut off either. I have a call into a mobile tech. If he gets here before the California fires do, we're good. (Apologies for my gloomy demeanor. We're all operating under sepia-toned skies these last two days. Fires from quite a distance away are shedding ash. Smoke plus fog have obliterated the sun.)

Emjay
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
I had a Nova Kool 12V compressor fridge put in my 2014 17B to replace the Dometic 8551 absorption one in July. What an improvement, as my wife swears the Dometic never ever really worked, despite trying to get it serviced a few times!! Draw is very small at 2.2A, but doesn't need to run all the time. I have a first gen Escape, meaning the door is narrowest, but had no issues getting it in. I would HIGHLY recommend you consider one.
I used a solar panel to charge up the system, and never had any issues. My wife is finally happy!
AND...it was a whole lot less expensive, too (~C$1400)
Old 09-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Bigfoot 25B175FB
Some folks have had good luck with their fridge, but I am not one. The Dometic 8551 in my 2014 Bigfoot never worked properly (if at all) and I replaced it with a Norcold last year. It sort of /kind of works but I still have keep a ice chest in the camper in hot weather. After spending hundreds on the Dometic and a couple grand on the Norcold (installed), my advice is get a compressor fridge or an ice chest.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 2023 21C
Cost of Replacing fridge

Can someone give me a ball park figure for the cost when you replaced your fridge? Thanks.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnet View Post
Can someone give me a ball park figure for the cost when you replaced your fridge? Thanks.
We upgraded to a 5.5 cubic ft. norcold fridge. The fridge itself cost $2,188.85 plus $378 for shipping and $62.82 for a larger vent. It is a great fridge and seems more reliable so far.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnet View Post
just remember, if you have the older style trailer, your selection of fridges is limited to what will fit in the door.
Old 05-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #47

My Trailer is 2014 old original style.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
My Trailer is 2014 old original style.

It's 2-way, propane and AC, right?
Also, those are Canadian dollars?
Old 05-29-2021, 06:59 PM   #49

Hi Glen: It's a 3way power. Yes those are Canadian prices. Their were a few other charges for parts and labour.

Tags
refridgerator