Refrigerator replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 escape 17b
Refrigerator replacement

We have an issue woth our 7 year old 17B which has me extemely disappointed with the quality of the design of the trailer. From the first day we owned the trailer we have had issues with the Dolmetic refrigerator. For the first few years, the issues were minor and livable. However for the last two, the issues have become major. The door will not stay on the frame and falls off going down the highway and the control panel is increasingly loose. The model we have is no longer in stock. We have no issues with replacing the frig but it doesn’t appear that we can. We have been unable to find a way to replace ours without cutting a hole into the outside fiberglass, and even then we are not sure how to adapt to a different size. I get it that refrigerators wear out. What I don’t get is a design that doesn’t allow us to replace one. We bought “Gertie” because of the quality Escapes are known for, thinking that we would be able to enjoy her for years to come. Now we are left without a functional trailer in less time than friends who bought much less expensive stick built trailers. Can anyone help us?
Lindedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 escape 17b
Actually, in looking at when I joined the forum, our trailer is only 6 years old!
Lindedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have no idea how current this chart is, but maybe it will be some help to you: https://www.arprv.com/dometic-norcol...-reference.php

Here's another chart: https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/cont...Chart_2016.pdf
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If you really think you need to replace (we thought we did too) then search for the best RV tech in SLC. Don't rule out mobile techs either. They are probably all booked until November at this point. They can advise the best fitment.

Yes- we thought we had to replace: wasn't cooling well anymore on propane and we've had doors( larger fridge)fall off twice. Now we strap them down using a Yoga strap(bungee are not adjustable and too harsh) with Command hooks and we also cleaned the orifice by soaking in alcohol. Now it works great.

So for now we are good to go; like you have no problem replacing if/when it has to happen- yet I've been guilty in the past of fixing what wasn't truly broke.

We did get a quote for a Norcold replacement. Upon much searching it seems Dometic is actually a nicer fridge.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You don't say what model fridge you have. I just had my fridge fixed. It had quit working both on propane and AC. The shop I used removed my 5 cu. ft. Dometic RM2510 and replaced the electric element and the control that switches between electric and propane.

The shop made no mention of any difficulty removing and replacing the fridge to bench test it. ( I know they took it out because I had the trailer at home while they worked on the fridge ).

My trailer is 12 years old and I've had no other problems, other than having the furnace motor replaced under warranty.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have no idea how current this chart is, but maybe it will be some help to you: https://www.arprv.com/dometic-norcol...-reference.php

Here's another chart: https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/cont...Chart_2016.pdf
Thankyou for saving us the trouble in case needed , copied . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Anyone that's ever had refrigerator issues, no matter the brand of trailer, can feel for the OP. However, the quality and design of the trailer has nothing to do with the appliance... that's ALL on Dometic. Otherwise, it's like blaming Levi Strauss because your Wrangler jeans don't fit. ETI has no control over any other manufacturer that discontinues an appliance or if they don't make a direct size replacement either.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Not to be contrary Donna, but I think the OP's main point was that her fridge is not able to be replaced due to not being able to fit a new fridge through the door. I believe even ETI found this to be a design flaw, which may be why they changed that in subsequent models/molds. If I remember correctly, this was a major frustration for those who had the infamous faulty RM8551 in the first generation trailers. So it would seem the issue is not with quality, but rather the lack of foresight in the original design.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindedelman View Post
the issues have become major. The door will not stay on the frame and falls off going down the highway and the control panel is increasingly loose.
I don't see how these are major problems or ETI's fault. Lot's of folks have broken door hinge brackets etc. and repaired them. They didn't have to junk the fridge. There are lot's of previous threads dealing with fridge door hinges etc.

Can't see why the loose control panel is a major problem. I've removed mine and reinstalled it.

If those are your major problems with it and you can't fix them then take it to an Dometic service place and have them fix it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Refrigerator doors falling off in Casitas (Dometic!), that Little House Customs developed a hinge repair kit. They don't create any products unless there is a big enough need. It won't fit the Dometics ETI has installed, but may give us an idea what's needed.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Old 08-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Refrigerator doors falling off in Casitas (Dometic!), that Little House Customs developed a hinge repair kit. They don't create any products unless there is a big enough need. It won't fit the Dometics ETI has installed, but may give us an idea what's needed.
It fits my fridge fine - I installed a set as soon as I got the trailer home from Chilliwack. I have the DM2663. The Little House Customs hinge plate doesn't fit the RM8551.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It fits my fridge fine - I installed a set as soon as I got the trailer home from Chilliwack. I have the DM2663. The Little House Customs hinge plate doesn't fit the RM8551.
GREAT! Then maybe it will fit the OP's frig, although we never have heard the model the OP has.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Escape is not the only fiberglass trailer where the refrigerator cannot be removed through the entry door . If I remember correctly on my Casita , if the refrigerator failed it can be removed from the trailer by removing the rear window
No need to cut any holes in the fiberglass
I also installed the hinge reinforcements plates from LHC on our Casita refrigerator ( Both top & bottom hinge)
I plan on doing the same thing for our Escape cause they work
A cheap and easy to install insurance policy .IMHO
The problem with the Dometic refrigerator door hinges is caused by poor engineering on Dometic’s part and not Escape’s
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a reason why I have owned 4 different Escapes in past 8 years, design improvements. Escapes hold their value and with new features very easy to upgrade......
Old 08-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Escape is not the only fiberglass trailer where the refrigerator cannot be removed through the entry door . If I remember correctly on my Casita , if the refrigerator failed it can be removed from the trailer by removing the rear window
No need to cut any holes in the fiberglass
That's not the case. There's no problem removing the fridge and I've done so.

No fiberglass cut and no rear window removed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P4090011_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's not the case. There's no problem removing the fridge and I've done so.

No fiberglass cut and no rear window removed.

Ron
OK ! but from what the OP indicated in post #1 that is not the case with his 2014 17B as was not the case with our 2013 17 ft Casita . I stand corrected !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't recall the OP posting the fridge model anywhere.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
OK ! but from what the OP indicated in post #1 that is not the case with his 2014 17B as was not the case with our 2013 17 ft Casita . I stand corrected !!
The hard part is finding a REPLACEMENT that will FIT through the door.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0
A month ago we replaced our Dometic fridge. Not because of any malfunction but because we decided we wanted a bigger unit with a separate freezer. We had a Norcold 4151 installed it fit with little modification to the cabinets and a bigger exterior vent.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:43 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Anyone that's ever had refrigerator issues, no matter the brand of trailer, can feel for the OP. However, the quality and design of the trailer has nothing to do with the appliance... that's ALL on Dometic. Otherwise, it's like blaming Levi Strauss because your Wrangler jeans don't fit. ETI has no control over any other manufacturer that discontinues an appliance or if they don't make a direct size replacement either.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refridgerator