Repairing the city water check valve - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
What about just screwing the attached plastic cap in tightly enough? With the hose washer inside it should make a tight enough seal I would think.
Maybe... they're not intended for that purpose, but it might work.

I'm used to a filler with just a rubber cap, and didn't realize that the Escape filler had a threaded plug for a cap - good catch, Eric. This stuff happens when you don't have the trailer yet...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
This is just an observation. Looking at the back side of the plastic box, there are bars moulded into the box to keep the inlet fitting from turning. That means the manufacturer must have assembled the inlet from the outside. Maybe it can be unscrewed from the outside and then you could implement your repair without spinning the pipe/barb joint. You would need a second person to hold a wrench on the inside when unscrewing the fitting on the outside, as those plastic bars would not be able to resist wrench pressure during assembly or disassembly. If the manufacturer pressed the fitting together rather than threading, this method wouldn't work.
Just a thought.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Its too bad it wasn't a quality build from the onset. Mine failed after 1 year. I've bought a replacement, haven't yet installed it. I'm also thinking of putting a shut off valve on the pump supply side so water cannot get into the pump when on city water...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
If this happened on a trailer with the spray foam insulation would the repair be a bigger problem?
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
If this happened on a trailer with the spray foam insulation would the repair be a bigger problem?
No, the valve is located in the fresh water hookup on the outside rear of the trailer, accessible inside under the bed or dinette, depending on which trailer you have.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 34' Cougar
Thank You

I realize this is a bit old but signed up just to say thanks.

Your step by step was great and I realized my blunder and easily fixed my check valve today in only a few minutes.

I actually smirked when I attempted the fix after reading this, for when i pulled out the spring and o-ring, in my hand sat an exact replica of the 'wait a minute, the o-ring isn't supposed to be in the middle of the spring' schmozz. Identical. It was in some ways a relief.

My plumbing simply screws the water hose with a swivel connector to the valve housing so it went on and off in seconds once I removed the front cover. Stuffed a paper towel in behind the valve to hold the rod forward as I used the needle nose pliers to get the spring and plastic holding ring back on. Great tips on the fix and great explanation.

Won't make the mistake of depressing the valve while pressurized again.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Saved me time and money. Especially had I gone to the dealer with a shrug.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Great tutorial. Only problem is it was impossible for me to crack that compression fitting without destroying everything around it or cracking the fiberglass body. Have to live with a broken check valve or remove the entire assembly (rivets and all) and do a complete replacement.
SA54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Thanks for the "heads up" and timely as I lost the cap to the water fill and thought of replacing the whole assembly with locked cover (presently open to let anyone mess with it).
dmc94572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:52 PM   #29

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Just searched and found this thread as my city water check valve is leaking. I can't say that I'm excited about removing the bed nor crawling under it on my back! Thinking of just leaving the leaky valve alone and installing one of these in the PEX line. https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...0LFA/202721919 Any thoughts most appreciated!
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:59 PM   #30

I want to remove the entire assembly and replace it. Problem is, the 2010 Escape 19 has the city water on the left and the tank fill on the right. They don't make them anymore. Everything is reversed so, how messed up is that?
Old 05-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA54 View Post
I want to remove the entire assembly and replace it. Problem is, the 2010 Escape 19 has the city water on the left and the tank fill on the right. They don't make them anymore. Everything is reversed so, how messed up is that?
What's the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
fresh water 2.jpg  
Old 05-19-2022, 01:26 PM   #32

The problem is, they only make replacement assemblies with the tank fill on the left and the city connect on the right. They discontinued the assemblies you show in your picture. The piping under the bed has to be cut and refitted to accommodate the design change.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:22 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Can you turn it upside down?
Old 05-19-2022, 04:55 PM   #34

Wish I could. The connections are angled in such a way that it makes it impractical. I already considered that.