Replace 6 volt batteries or not. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Replace 6 volt batteries or not.

My 2014 17B still has the original Interstate 6 volt batteries. At 8 years old I am considering replacing them. I would have them load tested first though. Anybody else still using similar age 6 volt batteries with acceptable performance. My thought is 8 years for a lead acid battery is a pretty good service life, and to be on the safe side and not left one day while camping with marginal batteries replacing them. They have always been charged (float charged) with the solar panel and not removed during winter as I'm on the west coast.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
What I've read

It depends. Five years is published as a typical life for a lead acid battery. If they've not been deep discharged, maintained well, not exposed to high temps.......that extends their life. But at their age, they may be pretty "long in the tooth". Gamble, and keep them. Roll the dice, and get new ones. It's your choice. High temps (aka Arizona) are what I've read shortens the life more than cold.

Nothing is forever, and nothing lasts.

That said, I'm still running with my original 2016 6V batteries. Guess I'd better start saving for replacements
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our 6 Volts will be 5 this summer. This year I’ll run them till they give me a problem or I sense they are not charging up. Good thing is they are not hard to get at this time and I have a spare 12 volt so I could get by if the sixes conked out before a local trip. Otherwise next year probably get new ones in the spring. With no trips to restaurants or slow food joints for the last year, I’m not worried about the cost. And I did my body a favor.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-07-2022, 10:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Took our 2014 batteries into Interstate last year. One tested good, one bad. Now have new ones.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
note the car battery folks don't have the correct sort of testers for deep cycle... they measure CCA, or cold cranking amps. We want to measure AH, amp*hours.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
note the car battery folks don't have the correct sort of testers for deep cycle... they measure CCA, or cold cranking amps. We want to measure AH, amp*hours.
When I took my batterries into Interstate they kept them overnight and did some kind of draw down type test. This was at an Interstate company store.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
My 2014 17B still has the original Interstate 6 volt batteries. At 8 years old I am considering replacing them. I would have them load tested first though. Anybody else still using similar age 6 volt batteries with acceptable performance. My thought is 8 years for a lead acid battery is a pretty good service life, and to be on the safe side and not left one day while camping with marginal batteries replacing them. They have always been charged (float charged) with the solar panel and not removed during winter as I'm on the west coast.
Our 2013 19' still has the original factory supplied dual 6V batteries. They have performed well to date although I am noticing that they do become discharged a little faster than they used to. I was thinking that 2022 may be the year that they need to be replaced, but then again maybe they will last another year!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
although I am noticing that they do become discharged a little faster than they used to.

Another good clue: They will also appear to charge faster than expected.
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
We have the dual 6 volts in our 19 also. I keep thinking about replacing them, just because of their age. They seem to be performing well, so what's the hurry. The trailer has been outside all the time through midwest winters. The solar still seems to keep them charged. So, yes, I too am on the fence about replacing them....or go another year?
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
If you replace them with the same Interstate GC2 available at Costco for roughly $200 then after 8 years you would save about $25. Or, you could trust your instincts and replace them and have one less thing to worry about for the upcoming season.

I don't drive my tires to 4/32 either.