Replace Porch Light on 2010 17B: Perplexed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2022, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Replace Porch Light on 2010 17B: Perplexed

I need to replace the original porch light on our 2010 17B. It appears to be the original fixture, with an LED bulb.

My electrical savvy is not all I wish it was, and I am perplexed on the wiring for the replacement. Though I know it is required it looks like the original fixture has no ground, a single wire going from the trailer to one side of the switch, then a single wire from the other side of the switch to the center contact of the socket, ending there. There is only one (hot?) wire from the trailer to the fixture. Unless there is a ground connection hidden under the metal base (which appears to be glued to the fiberglass exterior) or it picks up a ground somehow from one of the screws that holds the whole fixture to the fiberglass shell it looks like there is no return route for the current.

The replacement fixture has two wires as normal, but I don't know where to attach the second wire. I am contemplating just cutting the original wire that goes from the base of the original fixture and using it as the ground, hoping it works.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
There is probably a ground wire under the base... The base is likely screwed or riveted to the shell, the "glue" you see is caulking, probably Sikaflex or similar urethane sealant.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Related FWIW/FYI and a "while you're in there" dealio, the on/off rocker style switches apart of each of the two exterior OEM lights on our 15A had gotten wonky and wouldn't always function.

I swapped them out for a more weather/water proof switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't had an issue since.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
every trailer/camper I've had with these porch lights, they've gone 'wonky', especially when used with LED. it seems like the higher current draw of the conventional light bulb helps keep the switch contacts functional.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Bit the bullet and cut the old light socket off the metal base. Wired new led board to the metal base and Viola!, it works fine. Still cannot see how the base is grounded, but it must be. Replacement successful!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote