Replacement for rmd8555? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Replacement for rmd8555?

The RMD8555 in our 2015 is dead-coolant leakage. Cost to repair is 75% of new. We would like to replace, but this model isn’t available. We had tried to get the Dometic 10.5xt, but it is no longer available here even through special order. We need to stick to absorption as we have 2 flooded batteries and 250w of solar. Width of the cabinet is the problem-most of the new models are 2” wider, our rv tech (who is independent, experienced, and trustworthy) is searching like crazy for an appropriate replacement. So far anything we found is considerably smaller to fit the width. Has anyone reworked the frig area to widen it into the closet? Any suggestions or ideas? This is quite frustrating! Thank heaven for our coolers in a pinch. Thanks in advance!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Just called Dyer's RV & Parts in AZ and they say it is still available.- just taking a few weeks to ship.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #3

I will tell our RV tech! Thank you so much!!
Old 07-15-2022, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
actually, 2 good golf cart batts should give you a couple days worth of DC compressor fridge, and 250W solar will easily keep up.... my 360W of solar has easily makes 2000-2300 watt*hours on a sunny day, and my total solar usage hovers around 600-700 watt*hours per day with LED lights, maxxfan, furnace, water pump, and DC compressor fridge. a 250W roof mount solar panel with a MPPT controller should make around 1400 watt*hours per day when its in the sun most of the day, thats over twice what you need.

true golf cart batteries are better than the '50% safe discharge' statistic commonly thrown around...

For instance, Trojan batteries...

the RED line is for golf cart style batteries (T-105 is equivalent to a GC-2)... If every time you discharge them to 50%, they are good for about 1200 cycles, thats every single day for 3.3 years... you can discharge them 80% and they'll last 750 cycles, over 2 years of every single day.

The Norcold N2175 is an *EXACT* fit for the RM8555...

I really like the pullout drawer freezer, that stays rock solid frozen on 105F days.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 07:00 PM   #5

Got it ordered!

Rossue, thank you so much for that Dyers info. I contacted our RV tech and he got right on it. 3-4 weeks possible until delivery as it is back ordered but I can wait and am so relieved! Someone in the MO warehouse had told him it was discontinued but they were obviously wrong. Thanks again!!
Old 07-15-2022, 07:10 PM   #6

Wow, that frig is awesome! We have a 150w panel on the roof and a 100w suitcase panel. Much as I am tempted to go the compressor route, I think for what we need at this time I need to stick to absorption. We are in full hookups in the winter in TX, then boondock in the shoulder seasons for a couple of weeks at a time. The compressor frig is a someday for me, though….after I also replace our noisy AC, etc.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:09 AM   #7

We were able to get the 10.5xt and are impressed with what an upgrade it is over the old 8555! Thank you so much for all the info on locating one! Our RV tech installed it, we got it home and started playing. Empty frig, outside temp 100* with no AC on, frig got to 36 and held there. Freezer was -3. It got to 44 after opening and closing several times but recovered in a few hours. I especially like the little rails on the shelf edges and larger crisper. We are eager to head out on a trip and see how it performs loaded with goodies.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #8

That's great! Not sure if you used one previously, however I did use a fan inside the old RMD8555 which I kept. After an outing this month in some high temps on the way to cooler temps at 8600' I found this new fridge could also benefit so I did the install yesterday. I fished down thin landscaping tie wire through the condensation drain for the positive lead. The fan clipping onto the fins provides the ground.

While the 10.5XT does have a heater function in the freezer to fight frosting; it does not have a built in fan.

Here is a current version available on Amazon for $50. https://www.amazon.com/DutchAire-RV-...ustomerReviews
Attached Thumbnails
fridge fan.jpg  
Old 08-04-2022, 11:40 AM   #9

I had a battery powered fan that I put inside the old one to circulate the air, which did help when it was working. I kept it “just in case.” We also used a Frig Guard, which kept the box cooler when opening the door a lot. I kept it, too, but hope I don’t need it. We were able to order the optional fans Dometic offers when we purchased the new frig, seemed like we should just go for it. It is good to know fans were helpful! I just appreciate all the help on this forum!!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Thank you for keeping us posted.
Our fridge too, will need replacement.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:11 AM   #11

Update on Dometic 10.5xt replacement

We just finished a 10 day trip and I wanted to report back on the performance of the new frig for any who may be interested. Days were all in the mid-70 to low 80s degree range, nights mid-40s. Frig side was in sun for a few hours each afternoon. I precooled the frig and ran it on propane on the trip down, set thermostat on 2. The frig held at 38-39 and the freezer at 0-4, depending on how often we opened it. (The frig went to 40 once but I was in and out several times. It recovered quickly.) We spent half the days on electric and the rest boondocking. Both electric and propane worked quickly. At home, loading, the temperature was 85 degrees and I set the thermostat at 3 to get the 38/0 temps. Hoping this frig continues to perform like this when we camp in higher temperatures! So far very pleased. One more item-I do still use a tiny battery fan inside to move air (old habit) and we also have the optional Dometic fan accessory install to draw air through the vents.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
We just finished a 10 day trip and I wanted to report back on the performance of the new frig for any who may be interested. Days were all in the mid-70 to low 80s degree range, nights mid-40s. Frig side was in sun for a few hours each afternoon. I precooled the frig and ran it on propane on the trip down, set thermostat on 2. The frig held at 38-39 and the freezer at 0-4, depending on how often we opened it. (The frig went to 40 once but I was in and out several times. It recovered quickly.) We spent half the days on electric and the rest boondocking. Both electric and propane worked quickly. At home, loading, the temperature was 85 degrees and I set the thermostat at 3 to get the 38/0 temps. Hoping this frig continues to perform like this when we camp in higher temperatures! So far very pleased. One more item-I do still use a tiny battery fan inside to move air (old habit) and we also have the optional Dometic fan accessory install to draw air through the vents.
It seem like some of us are blessed with absorption fridges that work well, even in warm temperatures, with no interior fan, but others aren't. We're blessed, so no need for a compressor fridge.

However, when our absorption craps out we'll probably install a compressor. A lot has change since we replaced the absorption fridge in our Jayco 5th wheel in 2004(?).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-07-2022, 09:35 AM   #13

This one is also an absorption-with only 250w of solar, we were worried about a compressor model. Glad to hear yours is working well-our rmd8555 leaked coolant which prompted the replacement.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:49 AM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
This one is also an absorption-with only 250w of solar, we were worried about a compressor model. Glad to hear yours is working well-our rmd8555 leaked coolant which prompted the replacement.
I ass u me you're talking to me since I posted last? If so press the "Quote" button before responding to someone's post. It let's us know who's post you're responding about.

Despite having 465 watts of solar on the roof and 260 useable ah's of battery power, there is currently no reason for us to move to compressor.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #15

Personally I dislike long posts quoted for no good reason.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
New Fridge Planning

Thanks for sharing all this information.

To improve performance and safety, I pulled my RMD8555, and insulated the cavity, replaced the luan with metal, extended the fridge chimney, and installed a TITAN- 12V DC IP55 Waterproof Double Rack Mount Ventilation Cooling Fan with Timer and Speed Controller. These changes improved it's ability to cool.

My RMD8555 works barely and it also has a 'gas disruption' alarm problem. The alarm usually goes off in the middle of the night and the fridge will re-light once I turn off the alarm and start over.
The RV techs believe that the RMD8555 is prone to this problem because of the micro voltage that it runs on (less than 1 Volt). Any slight fluctuation and the fridge alarm goes off.

Of course the fridge never faults out when it's in the shop. It has done this more frequently as it gets older. Though without any pattern.
The fridge does work on electrical power though most of our use is boondocking- no electrical.

So it's either time for me to get a a new dometic or a compressor style fridge.
I am unsure of the requirements for the compressor style fridge and will need to research more.
Thanks to those that have posted about this.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe most compressor type units are 120v powered.....as it would take a lot of your 12v batteries if operated off battery power.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The Norcold N2175 is an exact fit replacement for the RMD8555, and is 12V only. Mine runs an average of about 30 amp*hours/day at 12V with a full load of food in warm weather.

using a pair of 200AH lithium batteries, 5 days of deep shade (zero solar) camping left me with 55% charged batteries, running the fridge plus furnace (cold nights), lighting, water pump, etc.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Personally I dislike long posts quoted for no good reason.
Me too, that's why I use the quote but delete most of the content leaving only the few key words that I'm responding to.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Me too, that's why I use the quote but delete most of the content leaving only the few key words that I'm responding to.

Ron
And that's perfectly fine. But there are a number of people who also delete the QUOTE code and brackets at the beginning and the end of what they wish to quote and the post ends up messy. I spend a lot of my time fixing those issues.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote