Replacing cooktop in 2020 19’ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2022, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Replacing cooktop in 2020 19’

Hello all,
I am requesting advice on cooktop replacement of our 2-burner Suburban.

The Suburban 2-burner size is 18.75” x 14 1/6”.
The only cooktop replacement that fits is the Dometic 2-burner that ETI is now using (confirmed with Dustin today). The critical issue for us is that the Dometic does not reliably work above 4,000’ elevation. Since we live in Denver (5280) and camp even higher this is a nonstarter. There is also Dometic’s reputation for less than stellar support but that’s another story.

Alternatives include:
Dickinson at 21+ x 12+ (don’t have the exact measurements, but it is longer and shorter front to back)
ENO at 17.7” x 14.6”

The ENO is the closest fit, but there is an inch gap that would have to be filled somehow. We would prefer to go with the ENO than to replace the entire counter as Perry did for the Dickinson. Has anyone replaced a Suburban with an ENO? If so, how did you manage the gap? Mind the gap?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
Hello all,
I am requesting advice on cooktop replacement of our 2-burner Suburban.

The Suburban 2-burner size is 18.75” x 14 1/6”.
The only cooktop replacement that fits is the Dometic 2-burner that ETI is now using (confirmed with Dustin today). The critical issue for us is that the Dometic does not reliably work above 4,000’ elevation. Since we live in Denver (5280) and camp even higher this is a nonstarter. There is also Dometic’s reputation for less than stellar support but that’s another story.

Alternatives include:
Dickinson at 21+ x 12+ (don’t have the exact measurements, but it is longer and shorter front to back)
ENO at 17.7” x 14.6”

The ENO is the closest fit, but there is an inch gap that would have to be filled somehow. We would prefer to go with the ENO than to replace the entire counter as Perry did for the Dickinson. Has anyone replaced a Suburban with an ENO? If so, how did you manage the gap? Mind the gap?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Catherine
If you need to cover a larger hole in the laminate countertop by using, for example, the Dickinson unit you can reach out to a local fabricator to build you a custom sized S.S. flange that would cover the gaps.

Colorado Custom Stainless would be a good route for getting a correctly sized S.S. flange. They can build anything can imagine.
https://colocustomstainless.com

When we get our 21C later this year and if decide to change to a different stove I will use a local S.S. fabricator here in St. Louis.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I bought the Dickenson. Had it installed by a local RV Shop. They cut the hole wider, put a small block of wood to fill in some of the depth. There was about 3/4" that was exposed, and I just had a local machine shop cut me a strip of stainless steel the same thickness of the flange. They cut a radius inside curve to match the original flange and an outside rounded edge so it fit really well. I then just glued it down to the counter. The result I think looks pretty good.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #4

Dickenson install

Here is a pic of the final install. At the top of the stove you can see the strip I had added to cover the gap
Attached Thumbnails
Dickenson stove install.jpg  
Old 02-04-2022, 07:12 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
We did NOT have to replace the countertop for our Dickinson stove. At first it was in the original ETI supplied countertop for two months. We replaced the countertop because we felt it was ugly and wanted something better looking.

Like others, we just used a small shim that came from the new cut needed on the left side to fill in the gap. The picture was taken after removing the ugly stock countertop. It's sitting on the picnic table at our seasonal campsite before it went to the dumpster.

The 1/4" gap at each end of the shim was not noticeable unless you really looked and could have easily been filled.

We've had the Dickinson installed since last June. Terry loves the stove and the two different btu burners give greater heat control and both allow larger pans to be used.

We try to live in our 5.0 four to six months a year. We're currently in Organ Pipe NM on our three month trip to Arizona/Utah.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-04-2022, 07:57 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The only downside I see with this stove is since it is recessed, your pot size is limited without any overhang you would have with the stock flush stove set up.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The only downside I see with this stove is since it is recessed, your pot size is limited without any overhang you would have with the stock flush stove set up.
The area on the Dickinson is much larger than the Suburban SDS2. Terry has been using her 12" fry pan on the Dickinson, something she could not use on the SDS2. I believe the SDS2 had a max of 9".

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 02-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
The result I think looks pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Here is a pic of the final install. At the top of the stove you can see the strip I had added to cover the gap
Nicely done. It does blend in nicely and if you didn't point it out probably no one would even notice it.

Good solution for anyone else replacing their stove. If my SDS2 gives me any trouble in the future I'll just copy what you've done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #9

Cooktop replacement

Thanks everyone for both the responses and the excellent feedback on what and how.
Sorry Perry for misunderstanding the countertop ‘need’ to replace vs ‘want’ to replace on the countertop. Now we have to decide whether to go for the Dickinson or the ENO. I just heard back from the ENO people about function at altitude. They said no issues on that and that one of their manufacturing sites is at 5500’

For you Dickinson users, especially with the 19’ trailers; does it make the already limited counter space seem even smaller?

Thanks again,
Catherine
Old 02-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Never had the SDS2. I took cooktop delete and installed the Dickinson in my Sept ‘21 E19. The Eno would seem to me to make the countertop the smallest since it does not mount flush.

Here’s my Dickinson install:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post400136

Hope that helps.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #11

Both brroberts and myself installed the Dickenson to the far right of the counter top. The difference in counter space from the SDS2 and the Dickenson is minor. The Dickenson has a wood cover that can be placed on top and is flush with the counter top creating more counter space if needed (though it won't work obviously if the burners are on).

Both my wife and I are very happy with the Dickenson
Old 02-04-2022, 08:30 PM   #12

Thanks again folks. That is a good point about having flush countertop with the cover for the Dickinson.
Installing it to the right would lessen the space bite.
It looks as though the ENO burners stick up a couple of inches from what I can see in the pictures. They do sell a cover, but it would be a box-like fit over the burners; much like the old cooktops that were not flush mounted.
Once again, the forum comes through with helpful thoughts.
Catherine
Old 04-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am considering replacing our stove with the Dometic unit that ETI now installs.

Since it has been in service for awhile my question is…has anybody had problems operating it at altitude?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi Eggescape,
There are tow You tube video review on Dometic D21 drop-in stove top with glass cover.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hi Eggescape,
There are tow You tube video review on Dometic D21 drop-in stove top with glass cover.

Tonny LR
Thanks…I will take a look.

I just thought with many of them being used here over the past few months that maybe someone has had a problem. I guess no news is good news.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
On the Fiberglass forum, Casita Greg installed a Dometic D21

https://pantherrvproducts.com/50216/

and has been happy with it. He used the model with the iron grates (see link).

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ink-97205.html

The pics are in the link, he installed the cooktop sideways due to limited space along with a deeper and somewhat larger sink.

Charles
Old 04-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I am considering replacing our stove with the Dometic unit that ETI now installs.
If is to replace an exploding Suburban SDS2 than I would say it is worthwhile but with their horrendous customer service the fewer things in a trailer made by Dometic the better!
Old 04-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #18

Thanks Charles, I will give that a look.

Dave you are correct on that advice.

Still not sure exactly what I want to do.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
We’ve decided to replace our Suburban SDS2 with the Dometic D21. I actually ordered this one from Amazon, hoping it’s the same as the D21. If anyone knows if it’s different/not compatible, I’d greatly appreciate it.

DOMETIC 9600014658 (50216G) Drop-in Two-Burner 12V Cooktop with Cast Iron Grate - Stainless Steel, Propane https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085WB8GPZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Also, Escape posted this video a while back, which I found helpful, but they didn’t say the actual part/model numbers for the replacement stoves:

https://youtu.be/DFMsI9qYdlw
rainyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21
Just Measured

Got the email and decided I wanted to install a D21. So I removed the old stove top and measured the opening .
Got 18 1/4 x 14. Shouldn't be a problem installing the new one.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote