Replacing Sail Swtich:Cover solar panel? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2022, 01:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
Replacing Sail Swtich:Cover solar panel?

Hello all. We are replacing the sail switch for the first time. Our trailer is stored outside, so the solar panel is exposed at all times. In order to replace the sail switch, we anticipated (1) having the trailer unplugged; (2) removing the breaker for the furnace, and (3) turning off the breaker for the trailer overall. Do we also need to cover the solar panel? Thanks!

Merrill and Duke
Bend, OR
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 03:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
All I did was switch of the power to the furnace. I am curious why you are changing the sail switch? I ask because I had a problem with the sail switch on in our 2019 E19 last summer and I pulled it and cleaned out the lint as exactly as shown on the video on Escape's web page and put it back in. No issues since. Maybe you have a different problem?
Here is a link to the video:
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Disconnecting shore power, and flipping the battery disconnect (to storage/off) will cut power to all electrical loads (12V DC and 110V AC) on your trailer. That is a bit simpler than pulling fuses, if you don't need other electrical items running while you work on the furnace.

The solar panel/controller are still connected to the battery even when the battery disconnect is in storage mode, so there is no need to cover the solar panel unless you disconnect the battery leads at the battery terminals. You can confirm this by checking the solar controller display voltage and charge current.
KirkB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Another caveat to the sail switch saga.

Warning… Another old guy story… Quit while you can….
  • Picked up 21NE in December.
  • Took month and a half trip to return home.
  • After one month on trip, gas furnace quit working – failed thermostat – replaced under warranty - no problem.
  • On another short trip in March to Virginia Mountains, sail switch kept cutting gas on and off every 20-30 seconds. Removed it. Cleaned with spray electrical contact cleaner...... worked fine.
  • Ordered spare sail switch – perfect match.
  • Another trip, three weeks later, sail switch cutting on/off as before.
  • Remove original – installed brand new spare – problem still there. (Now, the gauntlet has been thrown down – the challenge to troubleshoot is accepted.)
  • To reduce variables, I put original back in, snugged mounting screw just enough to make right angled, plastic mounts to fit flush perfectly. - Tested. -Furnace now worked perfectly for an hour. (Worst problem to find is intermittent problem.)
  • Before putting outside cover on and to avoid road vibration loosening the mounted switch, I cinched the mounting screw on the sail switch about a half turn…….
  • Problem came back immediately…
  • Inspection of the mounting plastics showed the additional tightening made the two plastic mounts that were aligned perfectly before, now had about a millimeter gap on side opposite mounting screw, cantering the sail switch just a little to the right.
  • Backing off the mounting screw ¼ turn, the plastic mounts aligned perfectly again and the furnace performed perfectly.
  • It’s been working perfectly for about a 2 months now having gone on a 2 week trip and being used occasionally at home.
BillMcgTenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, sail switch, solar