Retractable screen door and dogs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Retractable screen door and dogs

Our wonderful, smart, can't-live-without-her dog forgets at times to check if the retractable screen door is open or closed before jumping in and out of the camper. In short, our screen door has seen better days

Has anyone figured out a solution to making the screen more visible while still allowing it to be useable? We full-time so we don't have the storage capacity for a baby gate, nor do we want to be futzing with a baby gate every time we go in and out of the camper.

Ideally I'd love something that could be attached to the screen that can still fit in with the screen when it retracts, but I feel like I'm hoping for something that doesn't exist.
TwoPlusLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #2

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
screen door

After I tried to walk through at least once and the dog slso tried to I spray painted a couple of trees on the screen. Now the old man and the old dog can see that the door is closed.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
You could stitch some bright coloured pattern into the bottom of the screen. That might give a warning for your pup not to jump through.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusLu View Post

Our wonderful, smart, can't-live-without-her dog forgets at times to check if the retractable screen door is open or closed before jumping in and out of the camper. In short, our screen door has seen better days

Has anyone figured out a solution to making the screen more visible while still allowing it to be useable? We full-time so we don't have the storage capacity for a baby gate, nor do we want to be futzing with a baby gate every time we go in and out of the camper.

Ideally I'd love something that could be attached to the screen that can still fit in with the screen when it retracts, but I feel like I'm hoping for something that doesn't exist.
You can spray paint stencils on to the screen. Just make sure to not use too much paint. If it's a little thick in some areas, you can use a needle to poke holes back through the mesh.

You can also embroider the screen. Use bright colored embroidery thread and just make diagonal loops between the squares created by the screen.

The sky's the limit as far as design - just pick something you like. Either method will allow the screen to fully retract.

Here's a site where someone got fancy. You don't need anything this elaborate to make it visible however, and you probably wouldn't want to, since the ones on this site are for screens that don't retract.

http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProje...oductid=pr1454
Old 07-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I've been meaning to do something for the humans. And for the dog I plan to stitch ARF in big letters at his eye level. (or sew on the letters using ribbon if that is easier).
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Dogs only see about 5 colors . You can use a latex paint , but only multiple light coats ,use masking tape to make a pattern at the lower one third . There not usually looking up when going in or out . I think it's green ,blue, white and black . The other one is food . Ha... Ha...
Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #7

Do a search for "Screen Saver". Doug and Cathy Davies wove some material into the screen to make the door more visible. This might work for you.
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I put a red stripe of duct tape across it at both the bottom (for Jack) and top (for me) but he still ran into it. (One eye that isn't seeing as well as it used to.) Maybe a big X would have worked better. He only ran into it once but we rarely have the screen closed so that doesn't mean he has learned not to.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Don't know if it would work for you but we solved the screen door . We have 3 little guys but one thinks he is bigger then he is . He tried to go through the screen door in his protect mode . I found a baby gate at a garage sale , cut in half hinged it so it folds in half . Added a piece of Oak on kitchen wall by doorway . Attached the gate to that piece of wood . It folds in half when not in use . I added a strap to hold it when underway . It keeps the little guys from the screen . We also spray painted in white, a couple anchors at eye level using stencils , that's for us . They have been on now over 3 years . Let me know if you need pictures . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We've used a clear plastic bin lid that just happens to fit the spot well, works for little dogs.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We've used a clear plastic bin lid that just happens to fit the spot well, works for little dogs.
Bob what we have swings out of the way like a door ,when you are coming and going in and out of the trailer and looks like it belongs to the trailer . Pat
Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'd like to see a picture of the gate. It would be nice to have something that would actually stop a dog instead of just something to tell him the door is there.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'd like to see a picture of the gate. It would be nice to have something that would actually stop a dog instead of just something to tell him the door is there.
You got it . Give me a little bit . Pat
Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Thank you all for such great ideas! Pat, looking forward to seeing your DIY!
TwoPlusLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #15

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
When we were looking at the "classic" escape back in 2015, we thought the retractable screen was a pretty cool feature. It kind of "self-corrects" if someone walks into it and the bottom tabs fall out of the track. All you have to do is retract it and it starts working again.

However, it does have a fatal flaw: The lower right of the screen mesh (the part that is connected to the pull bar) can be ripped out of the rubber end piece by a small dog's nose. We know this via our two dachshunds (low to the ground). I ordered a replacement screen from Seiki (Part number VPRMCWH-1S (SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts) and installed it last month. It's still a continual struggle to keep our two from tearing it again.

This whole issue probably sounds crazy to "non-dog" people, but it is what it is
Old 07-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
When we were looking at the "classic" escape back in 2015, we thought the retractable screen was a pretty cool feature. It kind of "self-corrects" if someone walks into it and the bottom tabs fall out of the track. All you have to do is retract it and it starts working again.

However, it does have a fatal flaw: The lower right of the screen mesh (the part that is connected to the pull bar) can be ripped out of the rubber end piece by a small dog's nose. We know this via our two dachshunds (low to the ground). I ordered a replacement screen from Seiki (Part number VPRMCWH-1S (SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts) and installed it last month. It's still a continual struggle to keep our two from tearing it again.

This whole issue probably sounds crazy to "non-dog" people, but it is what it is
That area can be reinforced, but it has a tendency to affect the retract feature. In looking at all the solutions, if my dog had a tendency to damage the screen, I like Pat's solution of installing a folding "baby gate" to keep the dog away from the screen entirely. It's a bit of a pain to fold and redeploy it, but it would sure save the screen.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #17

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Agree. Looking forward to pic's and more info from Pat.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
You got it . Give me a little bit . Pat
here's a few pictures . I use whatever I had on hand like some of the attachments are from draperies . I put the piece of Oak to make a stronger attachment area. I found the gate for 2.00 at a garage sale , just cut it in half so it will fold up . Added hinges and I love to make vinyl straps with snaps . It keeps the pups from the screen which I thought was a goner when Murphy flew through it in the beginning , but it did self heal . It give you the idea. . I was going to buy something and then was going to just make a gate until I lucked out on the one we have . This should give some idea's . the last picture is for us , I walked into the closed screen . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002.jpg   DSC_0005.jpg   DSC_0006.jpg   DSC_0004.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
here's a few pictures . I use whatever I had on hand like some of the attachments are from draperies . I put the piece of Oak to make a stronger attachment area. I found the gate for 2.00 at a garage sale , just cut it in half so it will fold up . Added hinges and I love to make vinyl straps with snaps . It keeps the pups from the screen which I thought was a goner when Murphy flew through it in the beginning , but it did self heal . It give you the idea. . I was going to buy something and then was going to just make a gate until I lucked out on the one we have . This should give some idea's . the last picture is for us , I walked into the closed screen . Pat
screen door stencil so I don't walk into screen Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg  
Old 07-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Bob what we have swings out of the way like a door ,when you are coming and going in and out of the trailer and looks like it belongs to the trailer . Pat
Understood, I was looking for simple when I used the lid.