Reviews of Replacement Awning Fabric - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2023, 05:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Reviews of Replacement Awning Fabric

We will be replacing the awning fabric on our 2012 Escape 19. Having done quite a bit of on-line research, we think the Tough Top fabric looks like a good choice. Does anyone have an opinion about Tough Top? Are there other companies that you think would be a good choice? Thanks.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 E19
First time I've heard of Tough Top, and my awning is 11 years old, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I've seen some mentions somewhere of Sunbrella, FWIW.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Sunbrella

Sunbrella is more of a durable, solar exposure resistant fabric used a lot in boating & outdoor exposure applications. I'd not seen it used in an RV awning application. I did have some used on a sailboat "Bimini" sunshade cockpit awning I'd had.

Do your research. They may have a version for RV awning application.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:01 PM   #4

Thanks for that, Habberdabber.

This got me started looking around, and I came across this page from a place in FL that offers a 10 year warranty vs Tough Top's 5 year warranty. I hope it's helpful.

Edit: Just found this $129 basic white awning from Shade Pro, for your comparison. 13.5 oz. 3-ply.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
On our 2013 Escape 19

After having the awning unspool while we were underway in 2021 we replaced the fabric with a product from Carefree called Flexguard.

I like the fabric, but Carefree was having a few problems back then no doubt related to staffing. The first one they sent was way to large. The second one fit ok but still just a little different width and length. But it works fine.

(By the way after this experience I decided that I didn't really know why the awning unwound, so I put on the RV Awning Travel Lock, and velcro straps. Don't want to go thru that again! But that topic has beat up in another thread)

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
We will be replacing the awning fabric on our 2012 Escape 19. Having done quite a bit of on-line research, we think the Tough Top fabric looks like a good choice. Does anyone have an opinion about Tough Top? Are there other companies that you think would be a good choice? Thanks.
Curious why you don’t just go back to the OEM Carefree of Colorado. There is a tag on the awning that should allow you to order a perfect replacement.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Curious why you don’t just go back to the OEM Carefree of Colorado. There is a tag on the awning that should allow you to order a perfect replacement.
Some reviewers say other awnings, such as Tough Top, may be better quality for less money than OEM. Tough Top appears to be a single layer, not laminated, and delamination has been one of the problems with our original awning. We are investigating options.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
Some reviewers say other awnings, such as Tough Top, may be better quality for less money than OEM. Tough Top appears to be a single layer, not laminated, and delamination has been one of the problems with our original awning. We are investigating options.
Understood. After 11+ years we didn't have delamination but the stitching had definitely seen better days. It was about $350 with shipping for the replacement from Carefree back in 2021. I'm sure there are cheaper options but like you I would definitely want to know about the quality of what these other companies are peddling.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Sunbrella makes awning material and some awning manufacturers use it. I don't know if anyone makes a pre-cut awning replacement for the awnings Escape uses but I do know that Sunbrella material is top of the line and holds up very well.

I have used it for outdoor coverings and sun shades for years on sailboat and yard purposes.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You might want to look at VEVOR as well. Last time I ordered something from them it was free shipping. No idea what the product is like.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5465.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 01:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Awning sunshade

I just bought a sunshade to go on our awning from Princess Auto. They also sell a 15’ model. This looks like it will work for our 17B awning.
Attached Thumbnails
C6FC5B86-9806-4BB2-9329-333525D180A6.jpg  
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's a pretty reasonable price. We probably paid more for the material to make one.

They're nice to have, not only for the sun but for privacy as well. At last year's rally we had a mammoth full timer next to us and the visual separation was nice.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:56 AM   #13

Thanks to all who responded to our question about replacement awnings. We checked out all your suggestions. Right now we are leaning toward Tough Top. We like the fact that it is single ply (as previously explained), and made in the USA by a small company. Vevor is inexpensive but averaged poor reviews on Amazon. Tough Top says all the other manufacturers get their awnings made overseas, and are limited to 6-inch increments. Tough Top is made-to-measure. Shade Pro was a contender and is offered in two different fabric weights, and both are less money than Tough Top. We'll post again once we have made the final decision and installed our new awning.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We replaced our awning fabric last summer because we had a couple of holes from a hail storm. It was otherwise still in good condition. We ordered from Carefree because we assumed they would have the original size - easy we thought - and they were quick.

The size was not correct , they sent the closest in stock size even though they had all the necessary measurements ( with a diagram ) . Expensive and disappointing .

We had to have the extension length adjusted by a local Tent & Awning Co. or we would not have been able to use it at all ( extra expense) .

Lesson learned - if we ever need to do this again we would use a local Tenet and Awning company , they can make it to exact measurements and it would have been at least $150. ( + due to adjustment needed ) cheaper ...
Old 04-26-2023, 11:17 AM   #15

We replaced our 2011 E-19 awing a couple of seasons ago. Our only choice from our RV repair shop was color. They installed what they thought was right, what was standard, but it turned out to be too long! They corrected the issue immediately (two days), fortunately they had an upholstery shop next door.
marklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 01:42 PM   #16

To update our decision regarding a replacement awning, we did end up ordering from Tough Top. It arrived quickly, and we installed it two days ago, only to find out that it was too long in the dimension that extends outward from the camper. The Tough Top website says that all awnings are the same measurement in that direction and they do not want you to send the measurement of the old one while ordering. Unfortunately, that turned out to be a problem.

Our old awning measured 72 inches from mounting point to awning bead, but the new one, made in the standard Tough Top dimension is 91 inches. This makes it impossible to extend our awning arms properly.

Rather than pay to ship this 91-inch awning back to them, Tough Top has decided to make a totally new awning for us. I wanted to post this information as quickly as possible in case anyone else is considering ordering from Tough Top. We don't want anyone else to run into the issue with the wrong dimension. We recommend calling them to discuss measurements first.

In all other respects, we like the awning fine. The vinyl seems good quality. We chose gray, but other colors are available. We thought white would be too bright to look good with the somewhat yellowed white of our Escape.

We would rather not have to do the installation all over again, which took us three hours. But it should go quicker the second time around. There is an excellent how-to-install video on the Tough Top website.
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenHunter_394 May. 13 15.45.jpg  
Old 05-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #17

Tough Top assumed that all awnings are the same measurement in that direction; we all know what assumption leads to! Glad to hear they are making it right for you. Looking on the bright side labor-wise, R&R of the awning is good exercise...
Old 05-15-2023, 07:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Tough Top assumed that all awnings are the same measurement in that direction; we all know what assumption leads to! Glad to hear they are making it right for you. Looking on the bright side labor-wise, R&R of the awning is good exercise...
It's also on the bright side that we have two ladders and a son who is 6'-6". During the installation, the three of us were all laughing about how we could have made our own How-To video, with the project going not quite as smoothly as the pros' demonstration.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:38 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
The awning on our 17B was damaged while in storage. The RV repair technician ordered a new awning from Carefree to match what we had. It arrived with arms too long, fabric too long. Carefree said that Escape must order custom sizes, not their problem. The RV repair tech had an awning company custom make a new fabric and he was able to combine our original parts with enough new ones to set us up with what look like the original awning except the colour is different and the fabric is heavier. I think he was able to set the spring tension a bit higher so it’s a bit tighter roll.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
The awning on our 17B was damaged while in storage. The RV repair technician ordered a new awning from Carefree to match what we had. It arrived with arms too long, fabric too long. Carefree said that Escape must order custom sizes, not their problem. The RV repair tech had an awning company custom make a new fabric and he was able to combine our original parts with enough new ones to set us up with what look like the original awning except the colour is different and the fabric is heavier. I think he was able to set the spring tension a bit higher so it’s a bit tighter roll.
Bob
I have the same thought...Escape is ordering custom size awnings. I also suspect that the other people in this thread may have received too-big replacement awnings made to the same 91" standard that we received. I am pleased that Tough Top seems to have stepped up to the plate to make the correction without putting the issue onto us, the customer.

Tags
awning, fabric