This is my experience
On the 2010 19 I hit a magpie in southern Colorado. He rolled over the top of the Highlander and smacked the belly band. When I checked it there were a few feathers stuck to the vinyl and the heads were popped off of the pop rivets holding the aluminum strip. When I got home I marked the depth on 5/32 drill bit and drilled out the river. The remaining aluminum Curley ques were easy to pull out with a needle nose pliers. I tried a 3/16 rivet with a 3/16 grip range allowing for the thickness of the aluminum strip and the fiberglass mate up and got a nice tight hold. Never had to mess with it again. Then in the next couple years I replaced the plastic electrical cord cover and used the same rivets in aluminum. The thickness of the plastic , butyl tape sealer and fiberglass all add up to be more than 1/8 inch so I stayed with 3/16. Then on the 2013 Escape 21 I replaced the battery vent hose cover. Again 3/16 by 3/16. Your experience may vary but that’s mine. I have a little box of spares and do a little visual inspection every so often.
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.