RMD 8555...Again! Help Please - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
RMD 8555...Again! Help Please

I think I've shorted something in the RMD 8555 fridge in my 2015 21'. And I need advice as to whether there might be something simple that I've overlooked, or whether it is time to call in someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Following the example of many here, I was attempting to install a fan on the refrigerator fins accessing power at the light by the door latch. The light had not been working but I did have power to the light connection. I had the bright idea that before hooking up the fan I'd clean up that connection and see if I could get the light working again. I think that after scraping, sanding, etc. several times and turning the power back on to check progress I must have not turned power back off once and shorted across those wires. Anyway, the fridge will now not come on, and I no longer have power at the light connection.

I've checked the breaker and fuse, and they are good. Some of the dometic refrigerators have a "black box" main board in the rear that has a couple of glass tube type breakers inside that are relatively easy to get to. Mine does not appear to have that type box, and it appears that it cannot be opened.

Anything else I should look for? And be advised that my electrical knowledge is very limited. So what seems simple to many may not to me.

Thanks,

Paul
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Picture of My Main Board

Here is a picture of the box that I think is main board. Seems to be sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
RMD 8555 Board.jpg  
a602pmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by a602pmcc View Post
I think I've shorted something in the RMD 8555 fridge in my 2015 21'. And I need advice as to whether there might be something simple that I've overlooked, or whether it is time to call in someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Following the example of many here, I was attempting to install a fan on the refrigerator fins accessing power at the light by the door latch. The light had not been working but I did have power to the light connection. I had the bright idea that before hooking up the fan I'd clean up that connection and see if I could get the light working again. I think that after scraping, sanding, etc. several times and turning the power back on to check progress I must have not turned power back off once and shorted across those wires. Anyway, the fridge will now not come on, and I no longer have power at the light connection.

I've checked the breaker and fuse, and they are good. Some of the dometic refrigerators have a "black box" main board in the rear that has a couple of glass tube type breakers inside that are relatively easy to get to. Mine does not appear to have that type box, and it appears that it cannot be opened.

Anything else I should look for? And be advised that my electrical knowledge is very limited. So what seems simple to many may not to me.

Thanks,

Paul
A true 'short' will pop a fuse if one is present and of the correct value.