RMD 8555 Door Insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
RMD 8555 Door Insulation

I just put a layer of Reflectix insulation inside our fridge door behind the existing trays. The center one was a little too tight, so I popped all the bubbles behind it with my pocket knife. It wasn't quite as satisfying as smashing bubble wrap, but almost. I also added a 16 x 20 inch layer on top after pulling the upper trim, and I stuck a small piece over the opening around the door latch.
Attached Thumbnails
20170823_102730 (Small).jpg   20170823_103512 (Small).jpg   20170823_103939 (Small).jpg  
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Nice job. I like that you're still able to use the trays in the door. Of course, let us know if you can tell a difference on the cooling. Even a few degrees on ours would make the food safe(r).
Old 08-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Interesting, we look forward to hearing the results of the insulation once you have tested it. It looks like you slipped some between the cabinet and the fridge on the tops and the sides. Were you able to slide the insulation in a ways? Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Nice job. I like that you're still able to use the trays in the door. Of course, let us know if you can tell a difference on the cooling. Even a few degrees on ours would make the food safe(r).
Thanks. I wasn't ready to give up the door storage, and this really wasn't very difficult. Our biggest problem is cooling while towing on hot days. It can get quite warm inside the camper in that situation, so maybe this will help a little.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Interesting, we look forward to hearing the results of the insulation once you have tested it. It looks like you slipped some between the cabinet and the fridge on the tops and the sides. Were you able to slide the insulation in a ways? Bill
As I mentioned, I put a 16" x 20" (wide) piece on top. I measured to the inside back of the fridge for reference so I'd cover most of the top without hanging over the upper back edge. I didn't attempt doing anything on the sides.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Like Bill asked I would be curious as to slipping in some insulation. From what I can see on my 21 and what I have read, the side of the refrigerator that faces the front of the Escape has no clearance between the metal side and the luan wall. However the top obviously has some space. The side of the refrigerator facing the rear of the Escape has large spaces, I can even see the wood framing (studs) in that area when pulling back the rubber seals, as seen through the lower outside vent. Not sure of the rigidity of the Reflectix, would that stand upright in that space and be kept close enough to the refrigerator to do any good?

What is the R value of the Reflectix? Oh, I just answered my own question, it has a R value of 1. I found this information on the Home Depot web site:
Hello! the R-factor for Reflectix and similar products is very low -- just R-1 for Reflectix, for example. The claims on the package are based on a sealed air gap that you must build / create when you install it. This air gap provides almost all of the claimed R-value.
What does this mean as to possible effectiveness of using Reflectix inside or outside the refrigerator?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The side of the refrigerator facing the rear of the Escape has large spaces, I can even see the wood framing (studs) in that area when pulling back the rubber seals, as seen through the lower outside vent. Not sure of the rigidity of the Reflectix, would that stand upright in that space and be kept close enough to the refrigerator to do any good?

What is the R value of the Reflectix?

What does this mean as to possible effectiveness of using Reflectix inside or outside the refrigerator?
Reflectrix would not stand up unsupported in a large cavity like the one toward the rear of the camper. I think fiberglass bats make more sense there.

Lowes lists R values of 3 to 21 based on installation. There are lots of favorable reviews, but those are usually pretty subjective.

I had a roll of the stuff and it took about 30 minutes to install inside the door and on top of the fridge. It won't hurt anything, and it might even help a little. That's a reasonable trade for me. I'd like to be able to document the results, but there are just too many variables to manage.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The reflectix certainly is doing more good now than what it was before, unused.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The reflectix certainly is doing more good now than what it was before, unused.
Good point! It wasn't doing much in my garage attic.