RMD8555 Troubleshooting, and fix or replace??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
RMD8555 Troubleshooting, and fix or replace???

Yes it's fridge problems again! Our RMD8555 has been acting flaky. I've pored through the many existing threads on this and have found some things to try to get it working again. But we have very weak cell service and am having trouble doing much in the way of research so am hoping someone can help.

By 'flaky' I mean that at first the problem was just that the freezer worked fine but the fridge wouldn't cool. First I tried just turning off the breaker and removing the fuse. That didn't seem to help so then I saw some suggestions about the thermistor so I removed it from its housing and that got us working for a while. This was all on AC power. I thought the problem was solved and didn't pay much attention to it.

Then days later we traveled to a new campground and then some time after we arrived and the fridge had been switched back to AC power I noticed that both the fridge and freezer were not cooling at all. So I tried the same tricks as last time but no luck. After a while I switched to propane and for some reason that worked. I let the fridge and freezer cool back to proper temperatures then switched back to AC power and it worked properly. I had also played around with that frame heater button.
Not sure if that did anything. That was 2 days ago and it is still working well.

So after all that saga, I'm wondering ... is this just the beginning of my problems with the fridge? Should I try to get the thermistor replaced and hope to get another year or two out of it? Or should I just replace the entire fridge now. Parts such as the control panel are no longer available so if these symptoms indicate control panel issues it's clear that I need to replace it. I'm not sure if I can get a new thermistor either, and if that's a fixable item.

I've tried to get a mobile RV tech but can't find one to come out for weeks, which of course is useless while camping. Hopefully the fridge will behave until we get home in a couple weeks.

Thank you in advance for any input.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21c
I have an RMD8555 that is currently working on shore power only. The on/off switch works, the various modes go through their progression and finally the 120ac lights up and the unit turns on. The temp control is stuck with 2 lights and won't allow me to adjust up or down, nor will it allow me to choose any other source to power the unit.
My question is for those who have removed or replaced the eyebrow board, what exactly is the procedure for removal and inspection? I see two obvious screws on either end that appear to secure it. Are there other screws that need to be removed as well? I know Paul Braun aka Fudge Brownie suggested remove and dry it with a hair dryer. Others have suggested checking the connection(s) for tightness. Does anyone know if there is a way to factory reset this by pressing various control buttons on the the display? The fridge is working, but I need to have constant 120ac, no propane option at this time.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Lastly, for the life of me, I cannot see where in the forum that allows me to start a new thread. Any help with that is also appreciated.
Sailor now Trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor now Trailer View Post
Lastly, for the life of me, I cannot see where in the forum that allows me to start a new thread. Any help with that is also appreciated.
Hi, Sailer now Trailor, to post a new thread you need to click on the thread “group” heading link your topic best fits, i.e., “Problem Solving | Owners helping each other” (if that’s where you want your new thread), and a black “button” labeled “New Thread” will be above the list of existing threads in that group. Click that, and off you go. Hope that helps.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor now Trailer View Post
The fridge is working, but I need to have constant 120ac, no propane option at this time.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
From what I understand the fridge defaults to 120V AC when the AC is attached to power. I may be wrong but I don't think the fridge will operate on propane if the AC is connected.

So, be sure you unplug the AC and then try operating the frdge on propane, if you haven't tried that.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Don’t know about that specific model, but mine will operate on 12V DC, propane, or 120V AC when plugged into 120v AC.
Old 01-30-2024, 01:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Don’t know about that specific model, but mine will operate on 12V DC, propane, or 120V AC when plugged into 120v AC.
I fully acknowledge I may be wrong.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
My newly replaced MRD8555 would operate on propane while plugged into power. In fact, my wife preferred propane on the basis that she thought it ran colder. I don't argue...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
All I will say is that I find my 12 volt only compresdor refrigerator far superior to the RMD8555 it replaced, but I do not boondock.