Ron's 21 pickup - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ron's 21 pickup

OK, today was pickup day. I won't say orientation because I specifically asked not to have one. So basically hand over a bank draft, sign the papers and go.

Their guy that brings the trailer out from the back evidently normally takes the customers' tow vehicle back and pulls the trailer out front. He was a little surprised when I asked him to just use the fork lift to pull it out so I could install my own WDH. I'd already set the inclination so that went quickly and I was ready to roll. Everything hooked up and ready to roll. Set the truck for trailer towing etc. and did a light check, no turn signals or brake lights. Running lights worked.

The tech came out with their tester and all lights functioned so the problem was with the truck. Never had a light problem with the 19.

Went to the Ford dealer and they were helpful, confirm the fuse/relay for turn signals and brake lights wasn't defective. What to do, what to do? Decided with functioning running lights that I could make a run for home. Get on highway, stay in right lane, don't make lane changes because of no turn signals and faked brake lights by putting parking lights on when I depressed the brake pedal.

Uneventful drive in heavy traffic. Have to say that I really didn't notice any difference between towing the 19 and the 21. Maybe when it's loaded with "stuff" I'll notice that it's a bit heavier. But the F150 doesn't seem to care. Have I ever said how much I love my F150 Also, I have the stock mirrors and they were more than adequate so I'm happy about that.

So, the only negative is those darn lights. I might go back and check that relay otherwise hopefully it's something covered by warranty.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found when I picked up #4 and requested "no orientation" to speed things up. made the process longer. They ave scheduled drivers throughout the day that take the trailers over the border, so I had to wait for that schedule to coordinate with my pickup. Gave me a chance to meander around the factory and talk with various people. My 8;30 orientation ended up with 11:00 am border crossing and a delayed 1 pm checkout from Best Western.
At least you did not have to cross the border....that saved a lot of time.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
So they are letting folks back in the factory again to see how things are produced. With a manufacturing background, wanted to see this when we picked our 21 up but they wouldn’t even let me look thru the door
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #4

I did not get back into the manufacturing part, just the display and pickup area was all I saw. But it was busy there...
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #5

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Guess I will get one of these to put in tool box.
7-Way to RV Socket LED Circuit Tester

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Poll...hoCD2wQAvD_BwE
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post

Good idea to do that before you go if you have not used your 7 pin connector before. When I got to orientation they found that the running light connection in my 7 pin connector didn't work. Went without them as we were not driving at night any, but had a heck of a time determining the problem which turned out to be intermittent (the best kind...). Took it back to both the hitch installer and the Ram dealer when we got home, and of course it worked fine for both of them. I started unplugging connectors under the truck to check fittings and found moisture in the connector where the truck wiring harness plugs into the connections at the bumper. I dried it out, sealed up the connector to keep water from getting in, and haven't had the problem since.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:

Very useful device. I installed a new brake controller before my Aug pickup date for my new 21 and plugged the device in to check things after completion.

The fuse on my truck for the brakes on the 7 pin had blown. Who knows why? The device pointed me right to it.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #8

This is the one I got from ETrailer https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...y/TR20117.html
Old 09-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Interesting same eTrailer device is half the price from Amazon.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
As someone who purchased a used tow vehicle and had a brake controller installed well in advance of placing an order with Escape, this device will be massively helpful in providing some piece of mind in advance of showing up for orientation day.

I was unaware such a device existed. Thank you!
Jstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
My truck came with 7 and 4 pin sockets on the bumper. When I installed the Curt gooseneck hitch I also installed a 7 pin socket on the bed side wall on the driver's side just forward of the tailgate. The 7 pin I installed just plugged into a pigtail socket off the factory installed 7 pin.. Also got the tester from Amazon. When I tested the lights they tested OK on the plugin tester but I got a trailer not connected message on the instrument panel trailer display. Had to connect to a horse trailer to verify all was functioning properly. So if you have a vehicle with a trailer display on your instrument panel and the plugin tester says your good but the instrument panel says you're not connected that's just because the truck is very smart.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've just used my volt meter the couple times I needed to troubleshoot a 7-blade issue. not quite as convenient but far more versatile.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
On some vehicles you have to plug the 7 pin connector in before you start the engine, if you plug it in with the engine running the controller won’t connect properly.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Assuming your 19 had incandescent bulbs and your 21 has leds, I’d start looking there. Maybe the tow isn’t finding a low enough resistance to “detect” a connection?
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
So they are letting folks back in the factory again to see how things are produced. With a manufacturing background, wanted to see this when we picked our 21 up but they wouldn’t even let me look thru the door
No, that wasn't my situation. It appears the standard situation is that, for non-US deliveries, that they take your tow vehicle back into the lot, hook up and pull it out front to complete the process. When I said that I had a WDH to install, my guy asked another if I was permitted to go in the back to do that. Don't know what the answer would have have been but it seems that customers aren't allowed anywhere near the work areas.

Quote:

I have one of those. It's very good. When your lights don't work it tells you that the lights aren't working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Assuming your 19 had incandescent bulbs and your 21 has leds, I’d start looking there. Maybe the tow isn’t finding a low enough resistance to “detect” a connection?
The truck display detected a trailer and the running lights work.
Didn't really have time to do any research but there may be another fuse involved.

Ron
Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Congratulations, Ron.
We’ll have to reserve a bigger patch of dirt for you at Quartzsite in February.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #17

Yah, maybe I'm even eligible for a Snob Hill location.

Ron
Old 09-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When I picked up our 19 I was able to sneak around the shop area a little bit. I know you're probably currently busy outfitting, adjusting and conforming it. We wait, Ron, expecting to hear a full report/assessment on the new 21.
Attached Thumbnails
Ron's1.jpg  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #19

Yup, in the old days, they'd let you back in the shop/assembly area to show you how things went together. So I saw their wiring loom makeup area and a guy spraying adhesive on the ceiling etc. Then I think they went to a tour only when the shop was inactive at lunch time. Now I don't think that visitors get into the shop at all.

My total time in the new trailer is less than 15 minutes and I have a building project to wrap up. Then I'll attack the new trailer or rather, deconstruct it and make it the way I want it.

I do intend to go through the trailer, item by item, and form some opinion about whether the quality is the same or better or worse than it was 5 years ago. From what I've seen so far, I'm happy.

Ron
Old 09-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, in the old days, they'd let you back in the shop/assembly area to show you how things went together. So I saw their wiring loom makeup area and a guy spraying adhesive on the ceiling etc. Then I think they went to a tour only when the shop was inactive at lunch time. Now I don't think that visitors get into the shop at all.

My total time in the new trailer is less than 15 minutes and I have a building project to wrap up. Then I'll attack the new trailer or rather, deconstruct it and make it the way I want it.

I do intend to go through the trailer, item by item, and form some opinion about whether the quality is the same or better or worse than it was 5 years ago. From what I've seen so far, I'm happy.

Ron
Yes Ron waiting for pictures and your assessments ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote