Roof sag - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My 2013 Escape 19' has always collected water on the roof when the trailer sits level. When I lower the front jack onto the vehicle hitch, I will often get a splash of water as things drain to the front. The air conditioner is notorious for leaving water on the roof that will later runoff when the front of the trailer is lowered.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:12 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Large, unsupported, non-reinforced surface

Those flat roof portions act more like a diaphragm. They are "under load" with the devices atop the roof and whatever is attached to the upper shell in the interior.

Other than the glass in the fiberglass, there are no supports or corrugations to stiffen the area. Sag there is not an unusual to me event.

The remedies suggested will help, most likely temporarily. Unless you remove the liner, straighten the surface and apply ample reinforcing bands of fiberglass strips, in epoxy, well, I don't believe any straightening will be permanent.

FYI. This is primarily a cosmetic issue . Your rig is not falling apart. Many things "relax" and change shape as they age. I sure did.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
My 2013 Escape 19' has always collected water on the roof when the trailer sits level. When I lower the front jack onto the vehicle hitch, I will often get a splash of water as things drain to the front. The air conditioner is notorious for leaving water on the roof that will later runoff when the front of the trailer is lowered.
My 2013 19' had the same issue. I noticed that it was where the weight of the upper cabinets above the sink pulled down. I thought that was one of the reasons they added the stripper pole on the new version of the 19'. (mid-2017 and later with the new molds and 4" frames.)

I'm actually seeing the same thing develop with my 2019 5.0. While on the bed in the loft, I can now see a slight curve to the cabinet roof line if I eyeball the upper cabinets that I did not notice when we first got the trailer new.

I just went out and confirmed with a 4' level that there is about a 3/8" bow or sag to the upper cabinets in the middle of the span. Likely due to the amount of Corelle Ware dishes we carry up there.

I just chalk it up to normal settling. After all a home will settle over time and it is not being subjected to regular "earthquakes" also known as freeway expansion strips!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsweden View Post
Our year and half old 19' is sagging on the street side along the awning before it slopes up. No load other than rain. About ½" of water over 8 or so feet. How did you remove the staining? Anybody talk to Escape about this? Our 35 year old Scamp did the same on both sides. Thought I'd be done with this...
To answer your question about staining. I used to have a 2013 19' with the same issue. When I stored it, I would lower the jack so it was nose down so water wouldn't collect there. To remove it, use Meguiars Marine/RV oxidation remover. Followed by a good wax like Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax. See my other post about normal settling due to heavy dishes in the overhead cabinet.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/prod...6-16-oz-liquid
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
.... I'm actually seeing the same thing develop with my 2019 5.0. While on the bed in the loft, I can now see a slight curve to the cabinet roof line if I eyeball the upper cabinets that I did not notice when we first got the trailer new.

I just went out and confirmed with a 4' level that there is about a 3/8" bow or sag to the upper cabinets in the middle of the span. ....
A picture with the straightedge illustrating this phenomenon would be be a most appreciated addition to this thread.

(masking tape to hold the straightedge for the pic?)