roof vent exploded - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

roof vent exploded

We took a trip last week in the high desert in Eastern Oregon in high winds, with our 2019 19’ escape. We arrived at our campground and discovered the roof vent cover had disintegrated even though it had been closed while traveling. Good thing it wasn’t raining!
Ordered a nonbreakable one from good ‘ol Amazon and installed it this morning with no troubles. Obviously the original is way too light duty; there are many YouTube posts on how to replace it. The photo shows what was left of the old one. Always-helpful Dave the parts guy at Escape told me the original was made by Heng, but Heng doesn’t make an unbreakable one, so the new one is Camco Ventline #40161, and fits perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
88C93268-E68C-4805-95FB-FEC2ED266E3C.jpg  
dpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiano View Post
We took a trip last week in the high desert in Eastern Oregon in high winds, with our 2019 19’ escape. We arrived at our campground and discovered the roof vent cover had disintegrated even though it had been closed while traveling. Good thing it wasn’t raining!
Ordered a nonbreakable one from good ‘ol Amazon and installed it this morning with no troubles. Obviously the original is way too light duty; there are many YouTube posts on how to replace it. The photo shows what was left of the old one. Always-helpful Dave the parts guy at Escape told me the original was made by Heng, but Heng doesn’t make an unbreakable one, so the new one is Camco Ventline #40161, and fits perfectly.
You might want to keep an eye on the new vent after a few years of setting in the sun. UV damage is what caused the Heng to fail as the sun causes the plastic to degrade.

Uh, the Ventline will do it as well. Helped a friend replace his 5 year old Ventline as few months ago because of cracking due to UV. Spraying it with 303 protectant every few months helps to prevent it.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
The exact same thing happened to us on our three year old trailer. Picked up a Camco replacement from Canadian Tire while on the road. I found what I think is the exact one escape installed on amazon and the reviewers said theirs exploded as well. Poor quality plastic I suppose. Our trailer is always covered and the vent was closed while towing on that trip.
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It would be very helpful for others to know what model Escape was/is owned and various p/n used in replacement..........thanks
Old 09-06-2020, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
If you can mount a Maxx vent cover overtop that vent, the lid will last a good long time and the Maxx cover will let you leave it open in any weather. I've read that the Maxx brand is a fair bit more UV resistant than the similar Camco cover.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=..._Fans-sf-Vents
Old 09-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
i have the dark maxxfan deluxe cover on my 2014, and its great... but I'm not sure you can use that cover without the rest of the maxxfan as the lift mechanism is integrated into the whole fan assembly
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Unbreakable or not, I'd be inclined to paint it with Fusion paint before installing. Made for plastics and has UV inhibitors.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 19'
For those that get stuck out on the road like we did the camco replacement from Canadian Tire was really handy as most major towns will have a store. It’s a 14” ventline & elixir prior to 2008 which fit. Our trailer is a 2018 19’ and the failure was identical where the centre blew out.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0408368p.html
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I've noticed that even if I close my roof vent and lock it, the lock mechanism will come loose while traveling and the vent will rise up. Maybe that had something to do with it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i have the dark maxxfan deluxe cover on my 2014, and its great... but I'm not sure you can use that cover without the rest of the maxxfan as the lift mechanism is integrated into the whole fan assembly
The Maxxair and Fanmate covers (which go over a common roof vent) are not the same thing as the top part of a Maxxfan Deluxe integrated vent/fan/cover. No, you can't use part of a Maxxfan Deluxe on a different vent.

As Mike suggested, a potential fix is a Maxxair cover. The white covers in these lines are translucent - I wouldn't paint them. If getting the dark cover, then a coat of Fusion paint might be a good idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I've noticed that even if I close my roof vent and lock it, the lock mechanism will come loose while traveling and the vent will rise up. Maybe that had something to do with it.
We have noticed the same ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Unbreakable or not, I'd be inclined to paint it with Fusion paint before installing. Made for plastics and has UV inhibitors.
I replaced mine with the polycarbonate one after I stupidly cracked the origninal breaking ice. I wouldn't paint mine because it lets in a large amount of light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have noticed the same ! Pat
Ditto.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote