Roof Vent Removal - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2022, 08:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
You gotta keep in mind, we're standing in direct view of an un-shielded fusion reactor. It's crazy.
UV is tough on everything, especially plastics. Ever see sun blasted road signs? Next to nothing discernable?
And so it goes.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, that's correct. While a minority some buyers don't order the A/C. In that case the hole has the 14" x 14" opening vent installed. The A/C can use the same size opening. As you can see in the photos all the wiring is there whether you get the A/C option or not. It's basically a drop in situation.

Ron
Thanks, Ron!
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:32 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, I found this AFTER I had painted the one I ended up installing. Otherwise THIS would be on my trailer right now. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...12800403102039
It's steel, one rust spot and you'll have rust running down the side of your trailer.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
It's steel, one rust spot and you'll have rust running down the side of your trailer.
I probably would prime and paint both sides of that lid with a good quality white enamel paint.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:11 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Amazon sells an aluminum replacement lid.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:08 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Ron, My comments were about the Romex running from the roof opening to the converter. I'm not sure where the themostat wires run. I did not use the thermostat wiring when I installed my Houghton AC. It has controls on the unit and a remote control.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #27

Yes, the Romex is fully visible at both ends.

It's a complete mystery to me what the other wires are. The red/black look like they're for 12V, then there's two blue wires? and then a small diameter cable with several small diameter wires which I presume would run to the thermostat.

I'll probably have to send a photo to ETI and see if they can tell me where those wires lead.

Ron
Old 01-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #28

So good old Amazon delivered my new vent ahead of schedule. I don't have Prime but sometimes it seems that my deliveries come at the same speed as if I had Prime.

The sticker says "unbreakable". Does that constitute a warranty?

Had a laugh when I saved the photo and saw my previous vent that I broke. But the new ones unbreakable. Does that mean that I can break ice with a hoe and not worry about breaking it.

The inside shot shows the difference in A/C wiring between 2014 and now. Just the yellow Romax, no other wiring. Maybe because the thermostat was on the A/C not wall mounted?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0057_resize.JPG   IMGP0059_resize.JPG   IMG_0145rotated_resize.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 11:41 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Ron, was it difficult accessing the hinge of the vent cover without standing on the roof?
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #30

To be clear, I have never ever stood on the roof. There have been threads before about if it's safe to go onto the roof. My answer is "it depends." It is OK to be on the roof in some models and in some areas, but kneeling not walking around.

I've found that Gen 2s roofs especially near the awning recess are very strong. Otherwise I confine my roof activities to areas over the bulkheads inside. From there I can do anything I have to do without standing and walking on the roof.

You can see in the photo the small tab at the end of the hinge. After removing the interior crank bracket all that needs to be done is uncurl the little tab and that lets you slide the lid over and off. I did kneel on the roof to do that because my cover is on and was only partly pulled back but if it wasn't I could have just gone over to other side and pulled the lid towards me without getting on the roof.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0143_resize.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 12:27 PM   #31

Thanks Ron. I certainly wasn't planning to walk on roof, but I think I would need to either lay on the edge of the roof or knee like you did. Being only 5'7" my reach is not huge.

I am going to replace my cover as a preventative measure. I hate surprises like what could happen if my roof vent fell apart when I am away somewhere. I just got my replacement cover yesterday via Amazon. Thanks for the information
Old 01-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #32

Since you have a Gen 2 I think you'll find that having the recess for the awning makes for a rock solid edge that is quite suitable to kneel on.

I'm presuming that you're installing a polycarbonate lid. If so, there's one little thing that's different. First you'll notice that the round area that you insert the lift arm in is in a slightly different location.

There is a "U" shaped clip that holds the arm in the groove. You'll find that it doesn't fit the new lid. Nor does it have to because with the changed installation point the "bump" on the arm can't come back enough to fall out.

Good luck.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0146_resize.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #33

Thanks Ron. I bought the same lid as you did so this tip on the "clip" (poetry in motion) is appreciated. I will keep an eye out for that.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:25 PM   #34

Thank you Ron for bringing this vent cover issue to my attention, I replaced mine today and I am glad I did. I was going to do it as a preventative measure. I am guessing that if anything remotely touched it, it would have fallen apart. When I went to remove it from the roof it literally fell apart in my hands, similair to your experience.

I can't believe they use such crappy plastic on a part that is really quite critical. If that breaks while raining you have a problem on your hands. Our trailer is just 2 years old. I would suggest everyone who has one of these vent covers to take a look at it.

Anyway operating successful. The only problem I had installing was not having a screw driver with a magnetic end. Would have made re-installing a bit easier.

Here is a pic of the old vent cover. I
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1628.jpeg  
Old 01-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So a 2 year old trailer vent cover, located in Canada, disintegrates? Seems like a metal cover would be prudent to replace with. Maybe I'll request one on a new E19?
Old 01-27-2022, 06:22 PM   #36

If you get the Air Conditioning you likely won't have this vent. Where this vent is located is where the air conditioning would go if your ordered it. I didn't get AC when I had our trailer built.
Metal vent top would certainly be more durable, but you will miss the light getting in. I got the polycarbonate replacement, same as what Ron did. It looks more durable and is supposed to be UV resistant. They claim it is unbreakable, but they said that about Corel dishware and I was able to break it. FYI Don't close a hatch of an SUV onto a Corel Bowl.
Old 01-27-2022, 07:03 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Thank you Ron for bringing this vent cover issue to my attention, I replaced mine today and I am glad I did. I was going to do it as a preventative measure. I am guessing that if anything remotely touched it, it would have fallen apart. When I went to remove it from the roof it literally fell apart in my hands, similair to your experience.

I can't believe they use such crappy plastic on a part that is really quite critical. If that breaks while raining you have a problem on your hands. Our trailer is just 2 years old. I would suggest everyone who has one of these vent covers to take a look at it.

Anyway operating successful. The only problem I had installing was not having a screw driver with a magnetic end. Would have made re-installing a bit easier.

Here is a pic of the old vent cover. I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
If you get the Air Conditioning you likely won't have this vent. Where this vent is located is where the air conditioning would go if your ordered it. I didn't get AC when I had our trailer built.
Metal vent top would certainly be more durable, but you will miss the light getting in. I got the polycarbonate replacement, same as what Ron did. It looks more durable and is supposed to be UV resistant. They claim it is unbreakable, but they said that about Corel dishware and I was able to break it. FYI Don't close a hatch of an SUV onto a Corel Bowl.
In situations where I'm reaching up trying to keep a screw on the end of a screwdriver if I don't have a magnetic bit I just wrap a little bit of masking tape around the screw head and the bit. If the masking tape stays on the head of the screw and it's out of sight in place I don't care.

If you look at all the threads from day 1 it seems unusual that we're finding these newer lids almost, well not almost in my case. self destructing so early. I guess we'll see in the next couple of years if that trend continues.

And I really believed that Corel was unbreakable.

Ron
Old 01-27-2022, 09:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would imagine that you could extend the life of the factory lid on a new trailer by spraying it with some white fusion plastic paint. This might be enough to keep the UVs away.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:57 PM   #39

The state of my vent cover after two years was brutal. Literally fall apart in my fingers. Maybe if you sprayed it with some paint from day 1 it might extend the life somewhat, but the plastic is so cheap I doubt it would extend it by much. After 2 years my vent cover might have with stood a spray paint, but it wouldn't have with with stood a paint brush.

To me the quality of the plastic vent hood from my vintage of trailer (2 years old) is inferior. The older ones might be better, and maybe the newer ones are better, but mine was poor.

I would not enjoy the scenario of the vent breaking and the rain coming in (not that we get a lot of rain in the Wet Coast). The condition my vent was in, it would only take a large pigeon dropping its load to smash through the vent cover.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:36 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe I missed it, but what company makes these vents?
I want to avoid their products.