RV Antifreeze will not Flow on Hot side of Taps! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I am amazed at the gratitude expressed.
And, of course you know that the unit was not pressure tested on the bench?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:56 PM   #82

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Just a guess, but given the confines of the area and the stiffness of short pieces of that diameter pex tubing, what ETI has provided might be their best guess as to a "fool proof" way for an owner with unknown skills to make the fix at their home. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an in-house, bench-made, pre-fab unit ready for their plumber guy to just grab off a stack and install in the next camper in the assembly line. Again, just a guess. But I've not known Reace to make anything harder than it needs to be. Just sayin'....
Thinking about this more Reace may be concerned with the difficulty of cutting the crimp rings off the valve in three places without damaging the pipes. Then removing the pipe from the fittings is very tough if not impossible. Even if you get the sides broken free spinning the valve may not work if the bypass line crimp is as tight as it should be. Then recrimping the existing pipes may have the potential for leaks. I’m starting to see why they are sending the whole assembly.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Reace was trying to do the right thing as good as he could. I don't know, maybe I'm just overthinking it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #84

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
... And, of course you know that the unit was not pressure tested on the bench?
Interesting statement/question. In a mass production situation (kind of), I don't believe it would be all that difficult or time consuming to pressure test the assembly using air pressure under soapy water to look for bubbles (like checking a tire for air leaks). Just plug a few terminal ends, press an air nozzle in the last one, apply air pressure, dip in a vat of soapy water and look for bubbles. It would be interesting to know if ETI does something like that - just out of curiosity....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #85

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The thing is, with a pex crimper properly adjusted, it’s a done deal. Commercial plumbers or factories crimp thousands of fittings and rarely stop to use the gauge to see if it is tight as the crimper comes out of adjustment. Working for a home builder, I had it out with the plumbers all of the time on this issue.

This was a very interesting thread with everyone trying to figure out the problem. As for the original poster, he had no choice but to fill the water heater. Bozeman gets some pretty cold weather and it comes early. I think the weather showed our Canadian friends getting snow for the next several days. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #86

Trailer: Sold Trailer
I’m having the same problem winterizing our new 17B, no fluid coming through the hot water outlets. Just thought that if the hot water tank is bypassed then it made sense that nothing would come out of that line. Apparently, reading here, it should. Will have to compare these pictures with our configuration, assume our bypass was not done correctly either, whoopee!
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #87

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm going to add to my list a picture of the bypass system so that I'll know before hand if it was done right.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #88

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Update

Received the parts to replace the by-pass valve that was installed backwards by ETI.

There was miscommunication with regards to what they were sending me and what I received, the picture I posted at the start of thread was meant to show how the valve should be installed for reference.

What I received was just the valve, Pex and extra parts in case they are needed.

Looking forward to next spring, when I will be able to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Water Heater By-pass repair.jpg   Pex Repair.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:47 PM   #89

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How does one remove the old pinch crimp rings?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Per Dave at ETI, use side cutters to cut the part that sticks up on the crimp, remove crimp and slide Pex off the fitting.

You can also use flat tip screwdriver on the exposed end of ring and twist and pry to loosen the crimp.

What I've seen on YouTube side cutters would be my choice with plastic fittings.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #91

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Thanks
Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
They are the clamp style fittings. There should be a little tab that can be straightened with needle nose pliers and then a flat head screw driver used to pry the clamp open.

The bigger issue is if doing it yourself you need a calibrated clamp tool to reinstall. I don’t have one. Maybe I should.
Attached Thumbnails
3F8AF785-E19A-4FF5-B507-0396C8F991F8.jpg  
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The bigger issue is if doing it yourself you need a calibrated clamp tool to reinstall. I don’t have one. Maybe I should.
I've installed Pex with the ring clamps and never had a problem. Never have used the pinch clamp so went and bought the crimp tool, Pex and pinch clamps and have been practicing.

The tool ratchets as you compress and will not release until you have a full crimp. Not sure if they are all like that, but makes it fool proof as long as you check the gap with the gauge provided.

Now that I have practiced with the pinch clamps. I think they are better than the ring crimps.
Attached Thumbnails
IWISS 2098.jpg  
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Just winterized yesterday and had a similar problem. We bypassed the hot water tank and used the T-Valve to draw the antifreeze out of the bottles, which it did. The interesting thing was that the fluid flowed normally out of all the cold taps, but only out of the bathroom and external shower on the hot side. The kitchen sink had only enough pressure for the hot water to flow minimally, like it was restricted in some way. The water ran pink so we're confident that the line is winterized, but it was noticeable that the tap didn't behave like the others.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #95

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
check the spigot screen....
Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #96

Update 2

I have been practicing not only installing PEX fittings using the pinch clamp, but also how to remove the clamps and remove PEX from the fittings.

I thought using side cutters to cut or or loosen the pinch point would be the best way, but found using side cutters to pry up on the exposed end of the clamp was enough to loosen the clamp and slide off.

Using the flat tip screw driver on the exposed end is another method as mentioned by another member, but finding the side cutters on the end was easier to get the end to pry up.

As expected I found trying to pull the PEX off the fitting was impossible, but found applying a little heat from a hairdryer for about 1 to 2 minutes I could pull the Pex off easily.
Attached Thumbnails
1 PEX Test_DSC_2208.jpg   2 PEX Test_Sidecutter_DSC_2214.jpg   3 Pex Test_Flat Tip 1_DSC_2212.jpg   4 Pex Test_Flat 2 Tip_DSC_2213.jpg  
Old 10-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #97

Trailer: 2008 Casita Liberty
Did you turn the top valve?
tburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #98

New valve Installed Correctly

With the current run of nice weather and temps in 60's / 70's I decided to go ahead and install the new valve ETI sent me.

After all said and done, when I went to remove the old clamps I ended up using my Dremel tool with cut-off wheel cutting off the pitched knob of clamp.

To test I put in by-pass mode and used water pump and RV antifreeze to pressurize the system. No leaks at this time!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Valve Removed_DSC_2220.jpg   New Valve_DSC_2222.jpg  
Old 10-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
With the current run of nice weather and temps in 60's / 70's I decided to go ahead and install the new valve ETI sent me.

After all said and done, when I went to remove the old clamps I ended up using my Dremel tool with cut-off wheel cutting off the pitched knob of clamp.

To test I put in by-pass mode and used water pump and RV antifreeze to pressurize the system. No leaks at this time!
Kent: Nice work. Way to take the initiative and get this taken care of. Hoping ETI know now has this as a part of their QC checks too.