RV Awning Travel Lock - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #121

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Your welcome Donna and remember oil is your friend ! Pat
Donna just got a call back from Keith for the awning lock . Basically exactly what I said . Lots of places for water to get in tube , it is not sealed . Don’t worry about making a hole . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #122
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Donna just got a call back from Keith for the awning lock . Basically exactly what I said . Lots of places for water to get in tube , it is not sealed . Don’t worry about making a hole . Pat
Sweet! Thanks for the follow-up Pat. It's greatly appreciated.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the follow-up Pat. It's greatly appreciated.
Your always Welcome and was not a problem . Pat
Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #124

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Pat,

Great pictures, thanks. I got a note from Keith today that my order has shipped so he is
back in production. I will follow with your instructions to go with 1/8"X3"X5" and build a plate as you did. I think Chris R. went with 3 holes to mount plate to the awning bracket
attached to the trailer. He added a third hole to the existing two and used a bolt with a nyloc nut.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #125

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thanks Pat! I'm just rabid about rust. Right now I'm dealing with a frozen tongue jack because of rust.... not Ten Forward! I'll look forward to the answer.
Donna,
I put a Jack-E-Up on my 21 so I could drop my tailgate. Liked it so much I ordered one for a friend and put another on my utility trailer. For weather resistance I cut up a 1.75L plastic whiskey bottle (empty) and wire it upside down to the jack-keeps the water and snow off.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #126
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Donna,
I put a Jack-E-Up on my 21 so I could drop my tailgate. Liked it so much I ordered one for a friend and put another on my utility trailer. For weather resistance I cut up a 1.75L plastic whiskey bottle (empty) and wire it upside down to the jack-keeps the water and snow off.
It's my Scamp. The poor thing hasn't moved under the carport for five years now. Thought I'd swing the tongue over a couple of feet and the dang jack is frozen solid. Almost twisted the handle trying to free it. Had some 'blaster' in the garage and am giving it a good soak. IF that doesn't work, Harbor Freight is only a couple of mile away and a tongue jack is <$35. Just something I didn't want to deal with right now.

So let's get back to the regular thread topic now...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #127

Quote:
Pat,

Great pictures, thanks. I got a note from Keith today that my order has shipped so he is
back in production. I will follow with your instructions to go with 1/8"X3"X5" and build a plate as you did. I think Chris R. went with 3 holes to mount plate to the awning bracket
attached to the trailer. He added a third hole to the existing two and used a bolt with a nyloc nut.
Hi Yes I guess I didn’t show but I did the same as Chris R with a third bolt . Just need to make 3rd hole on your new plate . Already Holes on the trailer awning bracket . One thing I used a little longer bolt and put a nut on the back of bracket so I could get a wrench on to hold as I tightened the front of locknut . Pat
Old 06-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #128
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Donna,
my solution for opening the tailgate on a F250 towing a E21 was to get an 11-12" long (hole to hole) tow bar/stinger/ball mount.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #129

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Thanks for that tip. I ordered a pair as well. I like simple.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #130

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Pat this is what we use and have traveled in some pretty high winds with no problems. They are attached at the top of the awning arms holding them together thus not allowing the awning to open.

Camco 42503 RV 12" Awning Straps https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000EDOSSI/..._DIz1CbCDZTS7D
Thanks for that tip. I ordered a pair. I've never used an awning strap before but now will. I like simple.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #131

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
So here’s another solution. The tennis ball is wedged in tight so the awning can’t move to the open position. The bungee is there for extra insurance. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4662.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	41749
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #132

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Necessity, the mother or invention.....
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #133

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/at...9&d=1558992110

I made this to keep the latch from moving it had been redone with spring steel
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:56 PM   #134

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Awning Lock Install on Escape 19

Followed another's post on install of Awning Lock on the rear awning 'receiver' screwed into the Escape. See pics for clarification. I opted to use existing center offset hole on the lock (reamed to 5/16" for the lag screw and added second hole above it. Also required notching the lock mount to get around left side Just happened to have a 3.5" lag screw to replace the existing 3" lag screw (to accommodate added thickness). As can be noted in photos, this resulted in needing to add spacer washers between lock and trailer mount so alignment would miss the existing rivet in the awning scroll housing. Is at max extension as well.
Attached Thumbnails
20220805_123500.jpg   20220805_153304.jpg   20220805_153316.jpg   20220805_153258a.jpg  
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #135

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Very nice- btw, you don't have to be sure the plunger pin is seated as long as it is out-of-lock position. It will seat itself while rumbling down the road.
Old 08-07-2022, 01:16 AM   #136

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Saw that this thread got moved near the top. While I don't own an Escape (I have the Sasquatch version ;>)

Anyhow, I first came to this forum looking for this thread. In 2020 I ordered an RVAwninglock and after receiving it I realized that it could not be installed as supplied to me. It lay on my workbench for months and suddenly one day I sent an email to Keith Williams asking about what to do. He called me within a couple of minutes, and we discussed my problem. I have an A&E awning with rafters that are not square tubes but rather are C channels, so there was no place to mount the lock, and the response I got out of him was that "I think the Escape folks came up with something that might work"......... that was the end of the discussion, and nothing more to offer.

I finally conjured up a solution and installed it, taking a slew of pictures in the process. I wrote it up on the Bigfoot Owners Club Forum and then sent Keith an email with the text of what I wrote on the forum and the pics........... crickets................... later I sent another email simply asking to verify he received the first email.......... crickets again.............

My only suggestion is that the bracket Chris made, in my mind, should have been 3/16 thick aluminum to match what was used on the rest of the lock.

A lot of people had difficulty understanding that strapping the arms does nothing for preventing the fabric from unfurling. When you are driving down a highway (probably out west) and are behind a hill and suddenly come out into the open, and a 30 mph gust hits you from the side, that air gets between the awning roller and the attachment rail on the body of the RV and the latch is not gonna hold it. Same goes if you cross a river or gorge on a high bridge, I have experienced that even down here in the south where the wind is coming down the river valley and suddenly hits you while on the bridge.

It appears that I posted pics (annotated, so click them to make them full size and readable) in Myron's thread earlier this year..... https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-it-22901.html

You can find my pics in posts #7 and #8

If you have any Sasquatch friends, let them know. And the really funny part was in using Google to make sure I was spelling Sasquatch correctly, I discovered https://www.sasquatchfarm.com/ which is located in South Pittsburg, Tennessee off of I-24 NW of Chattanooga. I'm now going to have to pay the place a visit.

Charles
Old 08-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #137
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
RV Awning Lock Escape 17

Just got our 17A and one of the first mods was installing the RV Awning Travel Lock model A. It won't mount where recommended because there are two C channel pieces that slide inside each other. Despite the claim, it wasn’t easy to install. My first thought was it might work if installed on the upper bracket attached to the trailer. Looking back over this thread I found other people had done the same thing. So, I made some modifications through trial and error and came up with this. It works and should do the trick. A new fabricated bracket would look nicer but I’d rather use that time and go camping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1269.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	64176

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1270.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	64177
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote