RV Refrigerators - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
RV Refrigerators

I was thinking how great it would be if your RV refrigerator had a "set it and forget it" temperature control. With all the great innovations that have come to RVing, why not RV frig temp control. Why can't you tie flame control or power with temperature control? Is it out there at a higher cost that I've not seen?

I am planning to take another look at my own Dometic 5.0 and attempt to get it to operate properly down south. It is effecting my desire to enjoy year round coastal fishing/camping. I keep hearing lots of "thumbs up" posts about how well their refrigerator works. But most were up north where I know it cools off at night. It has me wondering if I am missing something. A lot of what I read and hear is focused on proper installation. Access is very limited with a small lower vent. I want to make sure my installation gives me maximum efficiency to deal with high ambient temperatures. My 5.0 has the metal upper vent with 2 dozen screws. I want to get the maximum air flow across the coil. Vent the heat coming from the heater closer to the upper vent. And start depending on my refrigerator and not my ice chest.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Hoping to buy an Escape soon!
Most DC compressor refrigerators do have exact temperature control, helping contribute to their awesome efficiency. They are, however, quite expensive. Here are some of the popular manufacturers:

Fridges ARB Fridge

https://www.engel-usa.com/products/fridge-freezers Engel Fridge

National Luna National Luna Fridge

There are of course many others.
AimlessWanderLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
I was thinking how great it would be if your RV refrigerator had a "set it and forget it" temperature control. With all the great innovations that have come to RVing, why not RV frig temp control. Why can't you tie flame control or power with temperature control? Is it out there at a higher cost that I've not seen?
Yes, I'm pretty sure they're available (maybe not from Dometic) and you just need to be willing to pay for it... and have a larger RV to fit the large refrigerator model which would be available with this feature.

This is really like home refrigerators, which have just a numbered dial and no precise temperature control, unless you get some mega-dollar Sub-Zero or similar. The difference is that the refrigerator at home is running in a nice controlled environment so you don't have to tweak it very often, while the one in the RV is running in an interior environment which tends to vary widely and connected to an outside environment which swings wildly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Plus a travel trailer has been described as an earthquake going down the road. The fewer parts that have an opportunity to fail, the better.

I've received a number of PMs over the years from folks about refer temperatures in all brands of all molded trailers. Most wouldn't like the solution. It usually involves a cooler and ice used during travel and being careful about shading the refer side of the trailer when parked.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Plus a travel trailer has been described as an earthquake going down the road. The fewer parts that have an opportunity to fail, the better.
Yes, but proper thermostatic control wouldn't add any parts to a unit with electronic controls. They already have the control board, and every refrigerator (electronic or not) already has a temperature sensor and on/off control of the cooling unit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Well maybe I want the impossible. I might have to develop a simple electronic thermostat controller for RV refrigerators that your average guy can add as a mod. Basically a single control loop that in effect replaces the numbered dial with a controller which tracks the inside temperature and makes the appropriate change to the heating element. And then sell this to Camco for mucho $.

It's quit obvious that I am one of those that doesn't accept shade and an ice chest as the solution Donna. I thought I left the "ice age" when I quit tent camping.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I know Dave, that's why I mentioned "Most wouldn't like the solution." However, there are benefits. In extremely hot temperatures, having a cooler for beverages it really helps the refer stay cool as the door isn't being constantly opened/closed. Besides it's easier to keep a cooler close at hand by the picnic table.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree. I'd rather have a beer dripping ice water than one from the refer.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I know Dave, that's why I mentioned "Most wouldn't like the solution." However, there are benefits. In extremely hot temperatures, having a cooler for beverages it really helps the refer stay cool as the door isn't being constantly opened/closed. Besides it's easier to keep a cooler close at hand by the picnic table.
We usually do this too. There are usually a few beverage in the fridge, but most stay in a cooler kept nearer the campfire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote