Sanitizing fresh water tank - anybody use Vinegar? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #81

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Another note about bleach. Store bleach in the container in which it was purchased or else an opaque container. This is in order to protect it from UV light, which breaks bonds in the molecule.

And regarding bacterial growth:
Any static water (fresh water tanks sitting with residual water; dead legs in piping) can grow bacteria, even the most pure water. So even if you filter the water you put into the tank you aren't risk free. With our hospital lab water purification systems the laboratory grade water frequently grew unacceptable levels of bacteria when there was a problem with circulation or lack of maintenance. And NO it is unlikely you would have been able to taste the bacteria at these levels. Fortunately the bacteria growing in water systems is rarely serious (as in Legionaires disease), but more of an issue for people with poor immune responses. One of my tasks was to culture the purified water from each system and believe me it was necessary. Those who have good immune systems and aren't easily grossed out are welcome to drink from poorly maintained trailer fresh water systems.

With our trailer in storage for over 5 months of the year I pay a lot of attention to maintaining our water system with bleach treatments. It's on my agenda for this week as we prepare for our first trip of the year. We actually drink water from 5 gal plastic containers we bring along in our truck and use the trailer's water for everything else.

Bob K
I always adhere to your expert opinion Bob. Thank you
Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #82

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Ava Thankyou . We just have been not drinking water from unknown sources wjthout filtering now for over 26 years . Have looked at the Berkey and the travel one in particular. Yes so right on trying to get information is so hard .
One question how is the taste compared to having minerals in the water ? Pat
I took my Big Berkey to the beach in 2018, and all members of my extended family were glad of it, so much so that my sister took hers last summer for the 2-week stay, this despite having little space in the car to carry much of anything else (2 adults/2 large dogs). Just comparing how the water looks out of the tap (dirty) compared to how it looks coming out of the Berkey (clear) matters to us, but we also appreciate the taste. (We chose to filter out fluoride and chlorine).

Maybe we're deluded, but if so, that's probably okay, too. As a health professional I know pointed out yesterday, much illness is psychosomatic. I BELIEVE that drinking Berkey water is good for my health - so it probably is.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I took my Big Berkey to the beach in 2018, and all members of my extended family were glad of it, so much so that my sister took hers last summer for the 2-week stay, this despite having little space in the car to carry much of anything else (2 adults/2 large dogs). Just comparing how the water looks out of the tap (dirty) compared to how it looks coming out of the Berkey (clear) matters to us, but we also appreciate the taste. (We chose to filter out fluoride and chlorine).

Maybe we're deluded, but if so, that's probably okay, too. As a health professional I know pointed out yesterday, much illness is psychosomatic. I BELIEVE that drinking Berkey water is good for my health - so it probably is.
Thankyou Ava ! Looking at the travel one and for sure getting the fluoride and chlorine out . I believe the fluoride is not good for you . I don’t think your deluded at all . Do you have the sight glass on yours ? We have that on the distiller tank and really like to see the amount left . Also do you have the stand ? It looks like it would be easier to use ?
Besides taking it camping will use at home for the 3 little dogs . One is a pure breed , 12 years old and doing pretty good and hasn’t lost his teeth .The other two have lost so many teeth , poor Murthy don’t know how he eats . I know genetics plays a part but maybe giving them distilled water not good for them . So hopefully order next month ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #84

Quote:
Thankyou Ava ! Looking at the travel one and for sure getting the fluoride and chlorine out . I believe the fluoride is not good for you . I don’t think your deluded at all . Do you have the sight glass on yours ? We have that on the distiller tank and really like to see the amount left . Also do you have the stand ? It looks like it would be easier to use ?
Besides taking it camping will use at home for the 3 little dogs . One is a pure breed , 12 years old and doing pretty good and hasn’t lost his teeth .The other two have lost so many teeth , poor Murthy don’t know how he eats . I know genetics plays a part but maybe giving them distilled water not good for them . So hopefully order next month ! Pat
I had a stand for the Big Berkey in my home, but the one we use at my daughter's house in on her island counter, as it's easy to reach and refill there. I don't use a stand for the Travel Berkey in my 17B. Just let it rest on the left back side of my sink when settled, half full to keep it weighted and then surround it by bubble wrap (particularly protecting the spout) while traveling. A bungee cord strapped around the base of the faucet secures it in place. Not perfect but doable.

I had the sight glass on the Berkey I gave my sister but find that I don't actually need one here at my daughter's house. It's kind of like many seasoned Escapees say about propane. After a while, you just know it's time to refill. If in doubt, I just lift the container up on one side and get a feel for the weight. Easy peesy!

My daughter's fur baby enjoys Berkey water, too. Loves hearing that fresh water hitting her metal bowl. Everything we can do for their health - and ours!

Old 03-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I had a stand for the Big Berkey in my home, but the one we use at my daughter's house in on her island counter, as it's easy to reach and refill there. I don't use a stand for the Travel Berkey in my 17B. Just let it rest on the left back side of my sink when settled, half full to keep it weighted and then surround it by bubble wrap (particularly protecting the spout) while traveling. A bungee cord strapped around the base of the faucet secures it in place. Not perfect but doable.

I had the sight glass on the Berkey I gave my sister but find that I don't actually need one here at my daughter's house. It's kind of like many seasoned Escapees say about propane. After a while, you just know it's time to refill. If in doubt, I just lift the container up on one side and get a feel for the weight. Easy peesy!

My daughter's fur baby enjoys Berkey water, too. Loves hearing that fresh water hitting her metal bowl. Everything we can do for their health - and ours!
Ava Thankyou again for the response . I was thinking of the stand for counter at home probably not bring in trailer . Sounds good ! Pat
Old 03-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #86

Quote:
Ava Thankyou again for the response . I was thinking of the stand for counter at home probably not bring in trailer . Sounds good ! Pat
Ava again looking at the berkey online and saw they have a nice nylon travel bag for the unit . Didn’t know if you knew . Make it nicer when it travels in the trailer . Pat
Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #87

Quote:
Ava again looking at the berkey online and saw they have a nice nylon travel bag for the unit . Didn’t know if you knew . Make it nicer when it travels in the trailer . Pat
I'd likely use a travel bag if I were traveling in my car only, Pat, but I use my Berkey so often (even heating up the filtered water for sponge baths) that I prefer traveling with it in the sink -with enough water in the base to keep it from bouncing around and a bungee cord securing it to the base of the faucet. It traveled this way from Bellingham to Houston with no problems and kept me from having to break it down and set it back up so often.

Old 03-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #88

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Damn. One more thing to worry about.

Ha! LMAO.

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:26 PM   #89

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
I have only ever used vinegar to clean out my water system after a winter storage. Granted, if I had detectable biological growth I would go for bleach, but in my situation I have only used vinegar to clean out the staleness the system. This includes our 5.0TA and 20 years of truck campers. I use two gallons of 5% vinegar and top off the tanks with fresh water, wait a day or two with the water lines full of the mixture, drain, fill, drain, etc, until the vinegar taste is gone. One time I failed to get all the vinegar out and it was just a little tangy. Bleach in low concentrations would also not be hazardous to health. Some municipalities have a chlorine taste to their water. I am not totally adverse to using bleach, but vinegar is safer, I worry less about any affects on plumbing lines/pump, and it has been reliable for me for over 20 years.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #90

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I looked at the Berkey and ultimately choosed the ProPur. Very happy with it.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 PM   #91

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
So why did you choose PFAS as your benchmark It is typically a contaminant associated with firefighting foam, flame retardant chemicals and Teflon. Is it also associated with mining If you have immune deficiency issues like one poster you should mostly be concerned with bacteriological contamination anyway.

Another thing to think about....for camping we are often moving regularly and therefore not drinking the same water for extended periods of time. Acute contaminates like bacteria, nitrates or uranium should be our concern as they will make you sick quickly. Chronic contaminates like PFOA or other chemicals make us sick from consuming the same water for a long period of time (10s of years). So less of a concern for short term use.
Relevant to this discussion, see this: https://www.hydroviv.com/blogs/water...UDlCMnFOIn0%3D