SC1600L Digital Thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
SC1600L Digital Thermostat

Got really frustrated with the clunky operation of my original Atwood mechanical thermostat on the last trip.

Replaced it with an ICM Controls SC1600L digital unit I purchased from SupplyHouse.com. Took me a whole 15 minutes to install. Compared to the old mechanical unit, this thing is a dream. Cost, including tax and shipping was a little less than $30!

Have no idea how Atwood stays in business with competition like this.

The only things I saved from the Atwood were the two Robertson head screws ETI used to attach the unit to the wall. Much better than the Phillips heads we use in the USA. Guessing we will convert to Robertson head screws about the same time we convert to the metric system of measurement...

George
Old 10-28-2020, 11:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Atwood is kaput; Dometic swallowed them. Glad you discovered a way to replace that archaic mechanical switch!
Old 10-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Interesting history of the Robertson and Phillips screws.
Old 10-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Got really frustrated with the clunky operation of my original Atwood mechanical thermostat on the last trip.
The mechanical spring sound the stock thermostat makes is so unique. Never heard anything like this before. My wife and I shared many laughs every time we heard the thermostat cycle off.

That little high friction on-off switch also! Terrible.

This has been an item on my list to look into. Thanks for posting and sharing your install experience. Just ordered the SC1600L.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I hated that one but I hate the digital Dometic switch more.The only good thing about it is that I don't think I'm about to break the switch off every time I turn it on. At this point it is literally the only thing I do not like in the new trailer.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #6

I was wondering about the new digital thermostat Escape now provides. Sorry to hear it's not ideal, especially in your new 17 B!

I also thought I was going to break the on/off switch on the stock mechanical Atwood/Dometic thermostat.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

Issues: you can't turn on heat without cycling through fan and AC. If you accidentally set fan to anything but auto and are on AC hookup, the fan comes on on the AC and blows you away. It's blue and if you try to adjust it in the dark you get a horrible afterimage from the blue. When you want to read the existing temp your hand has to hit two buttons and covers the readout so you can't read it. It's easy to accidentally switch from F to C while doing that, also.

Part of the problem is the location of it which I want to suggest to Escape that they change so that at least reading the actual temp is easier. I've read that there is no easy substitute for it but I need to do more research on that. Not the fault of Escape as it goes with the AC unit.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #8

That's all terrible. Poorly thought out user interface. Small bright lights like that really disturb me at night also.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #9

The good thing is the lights are only on when you are adjusting it- but you can't raise or lower the setting without them coming on, which is almost worse than if they were on. I was disappointed because I was looking forward to a different thermostat! Now I'm have nostalgia for the old one with the twang and hard to use on-off switch!
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Here is a link to the SC1600L referenced in the thread:
https://www.amazon.com/ICM-Controls-.../dp/B00C6Q0AYM

Several of us have used other thermostats including Lux, Honeywell, White Rogers etc. Many out there that will work.

I have used these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lux-Digi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Lux-PSD0...CABEgKphfD_BwE
Old 10-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Issues: you can't turn on heat without cycling through fan and AC. If you accidentally set fan to anything but auto and are on AC hookup, the fan comes on on the AC and blows you away. It's blue and if you try to adjust it in the dark you get a horrible afterimage from the blue. When you want to read the existing temp your hand has to hit two buttons and covers the readout so you can't read it. It's easy to accidentally switch from F to C while doing that, also.

Part of the problem is the location of it which I want to suggest to Escape that they change so that at least reading the actual temp is easier. I've read that there is no easy substitute for it but I need to do more research on that. Not the fault of Escape as it goes with the AC unit.
I wonder how hard it would be to at least divorce the heat from the Dometic thermostat? The furnace is typically just two wires that just need a simple make or break thermostat like those I linked above. A bit clunky having two thermostats next to each other but certainly sounds like it would be better for functionality. I have a LUX digital controlling the heater and a remote for the mini-split A/C I installed. Wouldn't change anything.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I hated that one but I hate the digital Dometic switch more.The only good thing about it is that I don't think I'm about to break the switch off every time I turn it on. At this point it is literally the only thing I do not like in the new trailer.
There is a replacement thermostat that has Bluetooth capability: Dometic RV® 3316255.000 - Bluetooth Thermostat. I believe it is an exact replacement for the combined heating/cooling thermostats in the newer Escapes & can be programed and adjusted over your phone. I haven't tried it, so you would be a pioneer...

On edit - I read a couple of on line reviews of the Bluetooth thermostat & decided I'd give it a try. I hate the capacitive touch buttons on the stock thermostat, so I'm hoping I'll prefer the Bluetooth version. At least I'll be able to crank up the heat from my bed in the morning!
Old 10-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
On my Scamp I was firmly convinced that I'd snap off the little lever, hated it. Swapped it out for digital.

Not sure I even used the factory ones in the 19 and 21. One of the first mods I did. In the 19 it was even better, being right by the bed. At least for those that sleep the right way in the 19 bed. I could reach up in the middle of the night and change the temperature without even opening my eyes. Every beep was a degree change.

Since I don't have an AC it's a simple and direct installation and doesn't affect anything else.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-12-2014 4-11-52 PM3_resize.jpg   IMGP0002_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #14

Thanks again George... installed! So much more happier with the functioning of this low cost thermostat.

Non-Programmable SimpleComfort Heat Only Thermostat (w/o Fan Switch) - Single Stage
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6396.jpg